What is Wrong with Politics and Reporting?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

What is Wrong with Politics and Reporting?

Post by mercalia »

I was listening to the World at One on radio 4 and listening to the latest tory after Peterborough stating that the torys need to get to the middle ground or a far left Corbyn govt, the furthest left ever been will come to power

It just struck me, in other walks of life you wouldnt be able to get away with making claims without substantiating them. Its as if these articulate spokesmen have never been to uni nor received any education and the need to prove any claims they make just went in one ear and out the other. Or maybe they were asleep all the time?

So I wonder about time this laziness was put a stop to and the BBC etc DEMANDED any one who has anything to say supplies the proof or they dont get a chance to peddle their bile? And they were stopped from making claim after claim until they justified the first? What a better country this would be - all the Bojos, Farages and Rhees-Moggys ( the torys seem to be culpable?) would never get a lookin and be never-wases. It would mean less is said maybe but that would be no bad thing?
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Jun 2019, 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Re: What is Wrong with Politics and Reporting?

Post by Mike Sales »

Boris Piffle and his lawyer are now arguing that politics is an area in which one should not held to the truth. You can see why. He has had bad consequences for lying in other fields, and if he can't lie in politics he has had it.

Stop press.
He has succeeded in this argument!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/07/boris-johnson-wins-court-challenge-over-350m-brexit-claims
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This happens about any topic that becomes politicised, and it's not just politicians, but anyone with an agenda, or strong opinion.

The BBC absolutely should be as neutral as they claim to be, and IMO, have some work to do in that regard.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I heard the same radio programme and in the same segment they played a clip of Corbyn shouting out about how it was a good win and you can't count labour out. I believe it was a labour by election win with the lowest share of the vote of any party for was it 100 years or ever? A very good win.

Then there were other political talking heads spouting rubbish and spin. Yet you point out the tory only? Yes he did talk cr@p but considering iirc there were 4 parties sharing the vote there compared to Labour and tories getting 95% of the vote between them at the last GE in that constituency means that any party spin merchant taking up their party after that showing is as bad as the tory spin merchant.

However better to gloss over the facts by only pointing out tory spin. Isn't that what you're accusing the tory MP and the R4 show of? Ironic no?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

However if you made a wider point that political reporting doesn't confront the lies, spin and other issues of all parties and special interest groups without focusing on your pet bogeymen then you'd be making a very good point.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:[...] there were other political talking heads spouting rubbish and spin. Yet you point out the tory only?

Maybe that's the only bit of the show that mercalia heard? How about, instead of launching into personal attacks at every opportunity and ignoring the wider point made, assuming the best of other posters? The discussions would be better for it. Point out that the example given is far from the only example if you want, but discuss the general point too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was just highlighting example that came to mind. The lady rattled off a number a number of claims one after the other. Of Course they all do it. Idont know the names of the labour baddies other than Corbyn/Watson strange as it may seem.
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote:they played a clip of Corbyn shouting out about how it was a good win and you can't count labour out.

Was he shouting? Or have you put your own spin on that?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:I was listening to the World at One on radio 4 and listening to the latest tory after Peterborough stating that the torys need to get to the middle ground or a far left Corbyn govt, the furthest left ever been will come to power

It just struck me, in other walks of life you wouldnt be able to get away with making claims without substantiating them.
But this isn't a claim that can be either proved or disproved. How do you define "far left" and "furthest left"? To me, this means no more than, say, the part of the road adjacent the kerb, when I'm cycling along. You can't measure the 'leftness' of a political party with a tape measure!

I've just made a comment on similar lines, on that thread, btw...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PH wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:they played a clip of Corbyn shouting out about how it was a good win and you can't count labour out.

Was he shouting? Or have you put your own spin on that?

Actually he was shouting, that's why I used that word. I thought it out of character for Corbyn to raise his voice. I thought it unnatural for him and wondered if he's listening to those pr / image consultant types. You know what I mean, the ones who changed thatchers image a bit on becoming leader of the tories / pm. Was it a new hair style and clothing for a more power look?

As to the attack, I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to come across so strong on my point. One day Mercalia will notice other party's errors or wrongdoings too.

Wider point? Totally agree with that as applied to all political segments on current affairs / news programmes. However it's been the case for decades. A good example of that IMHO has been what I view as the decline of question time. I first remember watching it as a kid when the likes of Michael Heseltine and Tony Benn appeared on it. As I remember those times they used to discuss the affairs of the day and presented more of their own, slightly independent views. I stopped watching it when I went to university and by the time I came back to watching it there were party line toadies on it instead. Although I probably saw one of Benns last appearances though. IMHO it would be fun to see qt panelists talking freely with their own ideas not pre-briefed sycophancy for their leader and party line. It does, IMHO, demonstrate the time line for this change in political broadcasting.
dim

Post by dim »

you listen to the 'wrong' news

here's the proper news (5 times per week):

https://www.ukcolumn.org/ukcolumn-news/uk-column-news-7th-june-2019

:wink:
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Even while parading in his finest Matalan suit Corbyn still looks like a fake Kulak.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

It has ever been thus; you only need to flick between the Guardian and Telegraph websites to see that one will point out the faults or inconsistencies or untruths in a Conservative/Labour position whilst often ignoring the same on 'their own' side.

And with opinion writers it doesn't even need to be different newspapers. It is well recorded that Polly Toynbee has often shifted her view. And frankly she's paid to be clickbait, she earns over £100,000 a year because people love to hate her shapeshifting nature. I bet she and Owen Jones enjoy competitions as to who gets the most hits or comments in any week!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ben@Forest wrote:It has ever been thus; you only need to flick between the Guardian and Telegraph websites to see that one will point out the faults or inconsistencies or untruths in a Conservative/Labour position whilst often ignoring the same on 'their own' side.

And with opinion writers it doesn't even need to be different newspapers. It is well recorded that Polly Toynbee has often shifted her view. And frankly she's paid to be clickbait, she earns over £100,000 a year because people love to hate her shapeshifting nature. I bet she and Owen Jones enjoy competitions as to who gets the most hits or comments in any week!

Boris gets £700k for making it up. And he gets - probably - to be PM.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:Boris gets £700k for making it up. And he gets - probably - to be PM.

I think Polly probably earns a lot more than £100,000. About a decade ago it was £92,000.

And she did try her hand at politicking. Really with a bit more assiduousness she could easily have been an MP.