What is Wrong with Politics and Reporting?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: What is Wrong with Politics and Reporting?

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Boris gets £700k for making it up. And he gets - probably - to be PM.

I think Polly probably earns a lot more than £100,000. About a decade ago it was £92,000.

And she did try her hand at politicking. Really with a bit more assiduousness she could easily have been an MP.

I'm sure she does. £100k is the salary of a head teacher. Declaration of interest: I have a small soft spot for her because she has twice used some work I have done and quoted it.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:I'm sure she does. £100k is the salary of a head teacher. Declaration of interest: I have a small soft spot for her because she has twice used some work I have done and quoted it.

I'd say the headteacher of a secondary school has way more responsibility than Polly does, but she earns her money, people read her to be offended or amused by her inconsistencies, she must have helped keep the Guardian afloat.

The £100,000 is just her Guardian salary btw she must earn more elsewhere as well. Tho of course I'm sure Boris is a master of this.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Who reads the Guardian? Answer: People who already have a Guardian type view of things. Ditto the Telegraph etc. One problem we have is that people (and I include myself to some extent) listen to similar voices but don't really listen to the other side of a debate. We are living in echo chambers. One (potential?) merit of the Beeb is that in theory at least it can present a spectrum of opinion to Guardian readers and Telegraph readers alike, and maybe that is partly why the Beeb gets flak for being too Remain or too Leave, too Right or too Left. But by trying to bring a spectrum of opinion into one space it does us all a favour. We need to be presented with opinions that are not our own.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote:Who reads the Guardian? Answer: People who already have a Guardian type view of things. Ditto the Telegraph...

With the Guardian yes and no, or at least the website. It's free so those not of a 'Guardian persuasion' will comment there, tho how much of the article they read is open to question.

And ironically they therefore help to keep Polly in work and the Guardian viable. To advertisers seeing 100 000 hits and 1 000 comments is reason to spend, it doesn't matter if the person is pro or anti the opinion piece.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:Who reads the Guardian? Answer: People who already have a Guardian type view of things. Ditto the Telegraph...

With the Guardian yes and no, or at least the website. It's free so those not of a 'Guardian persuasion' will comment there, tho how much of the article they read is open to question.

And ironically they therefore help to keep Polly in work and the Guardian viable. To advertisers seeing 100 000 hits and 1 000 comments is reason to spend, it doesn't matter if the person is pro or anti the opinion piece.

It must be 20 years since I last read anything by Polly T, other than the odd headline. I imagine that almost everyone who reads her articles, properly, is a core Guardian reader. Ditto for Boris in the Telegraph. They speak to their particular audience. You have to go to less partisan media to get perspective.
Last edited by pwa on 8 Jun 2019, 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:You have to go to lass partisan media to get perspective.

An excellent suggestion.
That's where I'm headed.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When you read anything political you must look at who is writing it and whats their angle. Some years ago we tried all the different more serious papers to decide what to buy. Surprisingly The Times seemed to be the fairest and least slanted. The Torygraph and the Guardian the worst, very openly slanted within news articles. Since then the Guardian seems to have improved quite a lot and I often read it online and make financial contributions. I avoid reading anything by the various opinion pundits in all the papers, these are overwhelmingly political and often nasty. For the reason I wouldnt read anything by Polly or Bojo.

Its just like reading history...who recorded this and what was their angle, not rocket science.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[youtube]P74oHhU5MDk[/youtube]
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:Who reads the Guardian? Answer: People who already have a Guardian type view of things. Ditto the Telegraph etc. One problem we have is that people (and I include myself to some extent) listen to similar voices but don't really listen to the other side of a debate. We are living in echo chambers. One (potential?) merit of the Beeb is that in theory at least it can present a spectrum of opinion to Guardian readers and Telegraph readers alike, and maybe that is partly why the Beeb gets flak for being too Remain or too Leave, too Right or too Left. But by trying to bring a spectrum of opinion into one space it does us all a favour. We need to be presented with opinions that are not our own.

I read the Guardian and The Times, and occasionally the DT.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:I read the Guardian and The Times, and occasionally the DT.

I buy the i, subscribe electronically to the DT and read the Guardian (but have never paid - sorry Katherine). Darlington and Stockton Times weekly and Yorkshire Post and German newspapers or news magazines occasionally.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pwa wrote:You have to go to lass partisan media to get perspective.

An excellent suggestion.
That's where I'm headed.

Signpost me, please.
John