Advance Australia Fair

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Advance Australia Fair

Post by pwa »

As a tune the Welsh national anthem does a good job. And the lyrics are (in Welsh) just about defending the land and the old language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_y6ykspAkA
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mike Sales wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I feel the French is rousing and tuneful, and free of the usual platitudes.
Maybe. Rather gory, with lots of blood and throat-cutting... :shock: Most English-speakers probably only know the first two lines, so it won't matter to them.

And the chorus.
Ah yes. The words "Aux armes, citoyens! ..... Marchons, marchons!" spring to mind. But not much else. It takes some effort to recall "Qu'un sang impur/Abreuve nos sillons!" I once committed the whole lot (well: first verse and chorus) to memory, but it wasn't easy!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:[ ...
And the chorus.
Ah yes. The words "Aux armes, citoyens! ..... Marchons, marchons!" spring to mind. But not much else. It takes some effort to recall "Qu'un sang impur/Abreuve nos sillons!" I once committed the whole lot (well: first verse and chorus) to memory, but it wasn't easy!

Long, long ago, my French teacher regarded learning songs as a good way of learning a foreign language. More recently, I saw a film about the Foreign Legion and I think they take a similar view. Anyway, I know by heart what I thought was the entire Marseiilase ie three verses beginning, Allons enfants...:Nous entrerons dans la carrière... and Amour sacré de la Patrie ... which was something of a party piece when I lived in France, although it may have been the caterwauling which got to them.

Anyway, I've since discovered there are loads more verses, which is very disappointing. :(

(I've never really mastered Strine, sport. :wink: )
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mike Sales wrote:....going to school with Tasmanian aborigines. Is that word still o.k.?
This article clears it up - maybe. "First People" is the correct term. Which nicely mirrors "First Nations" which is the term used by some Native Canadians.

Or should I concede that we're talking about "politically correct" - with its implied sneer? I hope not. There are good reasons why so many words for minority groups have been replaced by euphemisms. If it makes the members of those groups feel that much more comfortable in society, it's a plus. The rest of us can live with the euphemisms. It's no big deal.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).