Things that make you disproportionately happy.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver

Things that make you disproportionately happy.

Post by iandriver »

Despite the horrible weather, I've had a good week for small things that make me disproportionately happy.
1. Was my new silicon collapsible sandwich box. Seller reusable and folds down to nothing.
2. Found my old cheap shirt with parrots on, always good on a rainy day.

Then the big one, 3. My new bell. This has made me deleriously happy for something that cost a couple of quid.
I wonder is there will be a Di2 version with 50 preset chimes :D

I'm now thinking of putting together a small bag of things that make me smile and keeping it with me.

Life's small things :-)

Got any little things that make you way happer than their substance suggests?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Cyril Haearn

Re: Things that make you disproportionately happy.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Positive thread alert, Plus One!
Memories
Free books
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've never enjoyed getting my haircut. The few years between leaving school and starting work were good as long hair for men was trending. I lived with thirty years of short hair and for a while after retiring I continued with it, before settling on a savage cutback at increasing intervals when it got shaggy. It's not that I like long hair, I just don't like visits to the barber.

Real joy when one of our lovely daughters-in-law took up hairdressing 10-12 years ago and regularly did mine. More recently, she's changed job but has continued cutting my locks. With three school-age children, two dogs, work and the burden of looking after our son (domestic burden of things like tidying up, that is) my hair has fallen down the list of priorities and I don't like to ask.

Anyway, out came the trimmers on Tuesday and I'm euphoric: light-headed in fact.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Winning an eBay auction for a quill stem late on Saturday morning and having it arrive early on Monday.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Wor hoose is all very English Arts & Crafts - lots of heavy-duty oak furniture and fittings of the Gimson, Barnsley and Mouseman ilk. often with black iron handles etc.. It looks best in olde-fashioned candlelight - but candles are dirty smokey things that muck-up ceilings and your lungs. So discovery of the modern version - a real wax cylinder with a small LED flame-shaped bulb and a flicker-circuit, driven by rechargeable AAA batteries - was a little pleasure.

These candles come in all sorts of sizes and colours, giving a remarkably realistic look, including the wavering flame. They transform the interior of an evening time. They're inexpensive and will probably last forever, asking only the tiny cost of recharging some AAA batteries now and then. A set of one to three lasts about 100 hours, depending on the brightness.

It's 1903 every neet, now!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

My Felco secateurs, a simple and perfectly formed bit of engineering that I have been using since about 1990. Apart from a bit of worn plastic coating on the grips they are in great condition and still cut perfectly. Very occasionally I dismantle them (it?) and clean everything, sharpen the edge with emery paper, and reassemble with olive oil as lube to avoid contaminating plants.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Positive thread alert, Plus One!
Memories
Free books

Libraries round the corner from where you live.
Highly community active libraries round the corner from where you live and close to many primary schools and early learning centres (nurseries).
Highly community active libraries that run many events for kids from toddler and mums (-1 for gender prescription on parent) through primary school age to teenagers via a coding club.
Living where I do in an area where there's some very community active people doing things like campaigning to keep the small town library open when under threat of closure. Creating a garden in what was an unused bit of green space (including getting the council to put in benches and other features). People who on the decision of the county Council to pump their entire sporting budget into a destination sports centre but close community swimming pools have set up a limited company and raised funds to take it over.

BTW the last bit was really good. That limited company is now a charity and doing better than when under local authority mismanagement. Recently it was one charity you could vote for with those bag for life tokens the local supermarket gives you. It got over twice the number of tokens as the other two options combined and possibly the biggest haul ever seen.

So one last positive is living in a community. Even if I'm kind of on the edge of it looking in at times.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

This thread too. Typing the above thread up made me happy too. Thank you for starting it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

thirdcrank wrote:I've never enjoyed getting my haircut.

.......my hair has fallen down .........

Anyway, out came the trimmers on Tuesday and I'm euphoric: light-headed in fact.

Interesting juxtaposition, if a little edited (by me) to remove context.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Being greeted enthusiastically by a dog. I don't have a dog but friends have a Springer Spaniel who greets me like a long lost relative every time we meet.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you're ever near me I'll let my border terrier meet you. She's often friendly, and walks off with the wrong humans occasionally. Not that I'm trying to palm her off on you!

PS you don't mind dogs that jump up at you and try to lick you around your muzzle do you? It's just a dog thing but some don't like it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:Being greeted enthusiastically by a dog. I don't have a dog but friends have a Springer Spaniel who greets me like a long lost relative every time we meet.

Possibly my worst nightmare!
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sainsburys Custard or Cream slices
Ox Tongue ( meat)
Barbeque pork or Duck on rice or Barbeque pork noodle soup from Wong Kei in China Town London
My getting there tame squirrel who climbs up the wall 3 floors up to my flat to get fed some sunflower seeds
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Jun 2019, 10:07am, edited 2 times in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:If you're ever near me I'll let my border terrier meet you. She's often friendly, and walks off with the wrong humans occasionally. Not that I'm trying to palm her off on you!

PS you don't mind dogs that jump up at you and try to lick you around your muzzle do you? It's just a dog thing but some don't like it.

I dont as they also lick their arses
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:If you're ever near me I'll let my border terrier meet you. She's often friendly, and walks off with the wrong humans occasionally. Not that I'm trying to palm her off on you!

I dont as they also lick their arses

I've not seen a collie do so. But they are fastidious beasts. For example, they will not tolerate a fly landing upon their sensitive personages and see them orf with extreme prejudice.

But reading your post, I have been thinking I might do more stretching....... :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes