Are people lazy?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales
Posts: 2573
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby Mike Sales » 17 Jun 2019, 3:00pm

pete75 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:.
As human beings almost every one of our actions. Inventions and developments is aimed at avoiding any effort and making us lazier. It's the curse of humanity.

Al


Yes but is that laziness or efficiency? It's probably what we evolved to be like - as hunter/gatherers the less energy wasted in providing food, shelter etc the greater chance of survival.


Sounds possible. Explains our appetite for sweet things.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5251
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 Jun 2019, 3:06pm

Why is it some people don't like sweet things? I'm more savoury than sweet in preferences. As is my young son. Are we evolutionary rejects for that?

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45599
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby Mick F » 17 Jun 2019, 3:18pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Seriously, what others do is up to them. Are you really starting a thread not saying "others are lazy" , but really saying "look how active I am"? Fishing for compliments at your age, not a good look mate! :wink: :D
No, you're getting me wrong there.

We cyclists are usually fit and strong. "Normal" people less so, and since walking our dog I've been people-watching. I'm not judgemental or sounding my own trumpet at all, but suggesting that fit and healthy people like us lot tend to do fit and healthy things habitually.

"Normal" people don't seem to at all. I wondered if I'm correct in this, and that they don't try either.

Am I correct? Maybe I'm not.
My OP is a question, not a statement.
Mick F. Cornwall

pete75
Posts: 11205
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby pete75 » 17 Jun 2019, 4:48pm

Mick F wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Seriously, what others do is up to them. Are you really starting a thread not saying "others are lazy" , but really saying "look how active I am"? Fishing for compliments at your age, not a good look mate! :wink: :D
No, you're getting me wrong there.

We cyclists are usually fit and strong. "Normal" people less so, and since walking our dog I've been people-watching. I'm not judgemental or sounding my own trumpet at all, but suggesting that fit and healthy people like us lot tend to do fit and healthy things habitually.

"Normal" people don't seem to at all. I wondered if I'm correct in this, and that they don't try either.

Am I correct? Maybe I'm not.
My OP is a question, not a statement.


Fitness and strength are not the same thing at all. A lot of cyclists are short and slightly built. They may well be very fit but I doubt they'll be strong. I once worked with such a chap on a farm. Pig foot came in sacks weighing a bit over 50 kilos. He had great difficulty lifting them and became knackered very quickly - extremely fit but physically weak. A middle aged, overweight farm worker could load and lift them all day. It was strength that enabled him to do that - he said for him it was no effort to lift the sacks.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 1860
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby Ben@Forest » 17 Jun 2019, 5:59pm

Rommel said that the best officers were those who were intelligent and lazy because they'd work out a quick way to achieve something. Those to be avoided at all costs were the stupid but industrious.

philvantwo
Posts: 460
Joined: 8 Dec 2012, 6:08pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby philvantwo » 17 Jun 2019, 6:27pm

Is there a pub at the top of this hill Mick F? :lol: :lol: :lol:
[color=#FF0000][/color]

pete75
Posts: 11205
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby pete75 » 17 Jun 2019, 7:01pm

Ben@Forest wrote:Rommel said that the best officers were those who were intelligent and lazy because they'd work out a quick way to achieve something. Those to be avoided at all costs were the stupid but industrious.


I think that originally came from Von Moltke the elder

Image

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2656
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 17 Jun 2019, 7:06pm

Ben@Forest wrote:Rommel said that the best officers were those who were intelligent and lazy because they'd work out a quick way to achieve something. Those to be avoided at all costs were the stupid but industrious.


And look what happened to Rommel. :shock:

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45599
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby Mick F » 18 Jun 2019, 7:44am

philvantwo wrote:Is there a pub at the top of this hill Mick F? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sailor the dog, knows two of them very well indeed, one of which is indeed up the chevrons. The other one is up and down the chevrons.

There were thirteen pubs here within walking distance, but one closed a year or so back and is going to be converted into a motor cycle museum.
Two have closed in the last few months. One due to the VAT man not being paid, and the other closed as the owner has retired.
Mick F. Cornwall

francovendee
Posts: 843
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby francovendee » 18 Jun 2019, 8:23am

I think a lot of people are lazy. I'm not thinking of the old and infirm but of normal people. We live about a mile from our village and non of our neighbours ever walk there, always choose to drive. We normally either cycle or walk and our neighbours think we're the odd ones.
Strangely enough a neighbour is talking about going on an organised walking tour :shock:

reohn2
Posts: 34766
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby reohn2 » 18 Jun 2019, 9:40am

francovendee wrote:I think a lot of people are lazy. I'm not thinking of the old and infirm but of normal people. We live about a mile from our village and non of our neighbours ever walk there, always choose to drive. We normally either cycle or walk and our neighbours think we're the odd ones.

But you are the odd ones,most people won't walk further than they absolutely need to.

Strangely enough a neighbour is talking about going on an organised walking tour :shock:

Not strange in itself but given the background very strange :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

kwackers
Posts: 13124
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby kwackers » 18 Jun 2019, 9:46am

One of the unique(?) things about people is that they exercise for 'fun'.
Not many animals do that, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

in fact our relations the "great apes" like nothing better than to sit around chewing the cud.

Where we went wrong is when we no longer were forced to exercise in order to find food, that's the missing ingredient from our lives: Enforced exercise.

I recommend supermarkets have shelves built using conveyors; you have to jog alongside to grab your goodies.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2656
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 18 Jun 2019, 10:07am

kwackers wrote:One of the unique(?) things about people is that they exercise for 'fun'.
Not many animals do that, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

in fact our relations the "great apes" like nothing better than to sit around chewing the cud.

Hmmm.
Cows chew the cud but they also run around for fun especially younger ones and calves.
Lambs too spend a deal of time playing "king of the castle" and other chasing games.
Horses?

Mad as a march hare?
The stoat and weasel family play vigorous games and are notably playful.

Then there's the birds!

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 256
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby Pastychomper » 18 Jun 2019, 10:24am

PDQ Mobile wrote:
kwackers wrote:One of the unique(?) things about people is that they exercise for 'fun'.
Not many animals do that, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

in fact our relations the "great apes" like nothing better than to sit around chewing the cud.

Hmmm.
Cows chew the cud but they also run around for fun especially younger ones and calves.
Lambs too spend a deal of time playing "king of the castle" and other chasing games.
Horses?

Mad as a march hare?
The stoat and weasel family play vigorous games and are notably playful.

Then there's the birds!


Beat me to it, I was about to suggest watching next time a herd of farm animals gets let out after a winter in the barn.

Of course domestic animals have more time than their wild relatives to sit around eating and getting bored. Then again, people often select for laziness in the species we don't race - lazy sheep spend less time breaking into the neighbour's garden.

So says this pasty (chomping) feebling. :)
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

kwackers
Posts: 13124
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Are people lazy?

Postby kwackers » 18 Jun 2019, 10:25am

PDQ Mobile wrote:Hmmm.
Cows chew the cud but they also run around for fun especially younger ones and calves.
Lambs too spend a deal of time playing "king of the castle" and other chasing games.
Horses?

Mad as a march hare?
The stoat and weasel family play vigorous games and are notably playful.

Then there's the birds!

Playing is an important development tool. Most older animals give it up once the need to conserve energy outweighs the benefits of play.

For most other animals it's either looking for food, impressing potential mates or handling territory, fleeing potential predators etc.
Exercise for 'fun' is debatable.

It all makes sense when you realise that preserving energy is equivalent to finding more food.

For example in predators the effort of finding food is higher which means conservation of energy is more important.
Which is why predators once they've eaten spend so much time sleeping (cats for example).