Are people lazy?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Are people lazy?

Post by Mick F »

Now that I'm walking our young dog most days, I'm noticing other dog-walkers and where I see them ........... and where I don't.

They seem to walk south out of the village and turn round at the first chevron - Collycliffe Hill - and walk back. Along the riverbank is popular. I've been actively searching out the chevrons and the double chevrons but rarely (if ever) do I see another dog-walker on those hills.

Why?
Is it just because they need to walk the dog, rather than having some decent exercise for themselves at the same time?
Am I being snobbish because I'm fit and strong and healthy?
Gunnislake.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Re: Are people lazy?

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote:Now that I'm walking our young dog most days, I'm noticing other dog-walkers and where I see them ........... and where I don't.

They seem to walk south out of the village and turn round at the first chevron - Collycliffe Hill - and walk back. Along the riverbank is popular. I've been actively searching out the chevrons and the double chevrons but rarely (if ever) do I see another dog-walker on those hills.

Why?
Is it just because they need to walk the dog, rather than having some decent exercise for themselves at the same time?
Am I being snobbish because I'm fit and strong and healthy?
Gunnislake.jpg

Most who live with a dog regard it as a possession. If they have something else to do, they "put it in a drawer". When they do go for a walk, it's often with a reluctance. They feel it an onerous duty rather than a pleasure.

Most who have dogs shouldn't have them as they have no idea about their needs or how to look after them properly. Dogs need exercising - a lot. This should be in the contract with the dog: "I give you the pleasures of living with my dogginess in exchange for proper grub, care and at least 5 miles a day every day (for you, as I'll run about doing 3 or 4X that)".

Of course humans need regular exercise too. Lookit what happens to them when they don't! Pasty feeblings, they become, that's what. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Some people have dogs because they like the companionship. Some see the dog as a means of forcing themselves to get some exercise. Mostly I suspect it's a combination of those things. Reading your posts over the years I think you enjoy cycling a lot and are proud of your level of fitness. This makes you feel superior to most people because most people tend towards laziness and the consequences of it.
As human beings almost every one of our actions. Inventions and developments is aimed at avoiding any effort and making us lazier. It's the curse of humanity.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think most people take some short walks with their dogs, and a some longer walks with their dogs. Those who work, mostly take longer walks in the evening, after the evening meal. Those who don't may still take their long walks at other times of that day than you do. You may be meeting them when they are taking shorter walks.

That said, I think some folks see walking the dog as a chore: the price of having companionship, rather than something to share with their companion. They'd rather play with the dog, sit and watch TV, or curl up in front of a fire.

People have dogs for all sorts of reasons. Sharing a walk isn't a reason for every dog person.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mick F wrote: I've been actively searching out the chevrons and the double chevrons but rarely (if ever) do I see another dog-walker on those hills.

Those chevron marks are only shown on surfaced roads. Do many dog walkers avoid walking their dogs on roads?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:Am I being snobbish because I'm fit and strong and healthy?
I'd have said, "yes" (sorry!). Many people - younger than you or me - would find it quite a struggle to walk up a 1:5 or steeper.

We don't have a dog, so, maybe, not the same incentive to go out walking. Yet we do try to get out regularly. Sussex isn't as hilly as Cornwall, but it does have some steep bits - the Downs especially. We often go up Ditchling Beacon - not by the road (famous as a cycling climb*) but on an adjacent path. Referring to this map view:
beacon.jpg

we start due south from the lower car park (centre of pic.) and climb up to the ridge path. Can't supply a gradient, I'm afraid, but you can judge its steepness from the contours. We used to find it a fairly gentle walk when we were younger, but not now!

This afternoon, if the weather improves, we might pay a visit to the nearby Wolstonbury Hill - a similar sort of climb with excellent views from the summit.

*Used to do it frequently in my more youthful days. Wouldn't dream of it now.... :oops:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Off topic a bit.

5m contours there?
They are at 10m intervals here.

Is this a difference with the mapping from area to area?
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote:Off topic a bit.

5m contours there?

It's a different map scale. What used to be landranger (pink cover) and pathfinder (green cover but now re formatted as outdoor leisure series).
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Mick F wrote:Off topic a bit.

5m contours there?

One map is 1:50,000 and the other 1:25,000
Having said that, I went for a walk with my wife and daughter in the Quantock Hills this afternoon, we used a 1:25,000 map and I'm sure the contours were at 10m intervals.

Edit, just checked, 5m intervals on my 1:25,000
Richard M
Cardiff
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Long and short walks, different people have different walking times and different dogs need different activity levels.

We work so use a dog walker when we're both working away after that the dog really does not want a walk. Other days my partner runs with the dog. That's the big walk if you like followed by my short evening walk, could be after 9pm.

Mostly dogwalkers are creatures of habit. Walks carried out at similar times each day. Routes mostly the same each day or at most a few routes. If it's your route too you'll probably meet the same people at the same time. In that case you could be meeting a small x section of dog owners.

Other people don't walk quite as often. For example round our way there's not many gardens only backyards. So a lot go to a nearby field and throw balls for the dog. Often meeting other dog walkers. In. That case the dogs exercise themselves and that's always fun to see. In other areas, bigger gardens might mean the ball throwing happens at home.

Then again there could be a lot of low exercise level dogs in your area. Greyhounds and similar are common here. Walk them 25 minutes twice a day and they're good, if not less. If with good recall then a field or larger garden to open up on a run is enough.

Either way you'll get people looking after their dogs well and those who don't. Fat dogs or dogs not getting enough exercise is common. Buy a husky on looks then fail to understand the exercise level needed. A pet hate of mine. But so many buy gundogs but really need a low exercise level lap dog. Or JRT owners in their dotage and can only walk around the shop to collect their newspapers, resulting in fat and unfit dog that really should be a little, energetic dog capable of long walks. Another pet hate of mine, people think small dog = low exercise level but their bloody terrier! They can go all day, sleep half an hour then pester you for another walk, or capable of that.

Basically there's lazy and not lazy. There's possibly loads of reasons you don't meet many dog walkers past a certain point. Just look at the other people's dog and if it looks healthy and stimulated then they're giving it enough of what it needs.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Old Chinese proverb;-

"A dog that runs a lot gets very tough"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've had a good hard ride this morning. Not far, only 20miles ..................... but with 2,500ft of ascent. :D
I'll be off walking the doggy later this afternoon for a couple or so miles. I might get a few more chevrons under my belt.

Generally on roads, a dog wouldn't know if it was uphill or flat, but at least the walker would get some heart and lung exercise if uphills are a part of the walk.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Yes, people are lazy, usually pretty judgemental as well.
That probably applies to everyone, we just choose different definitions of what lazy is.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Some people on here don't have time to exercise adverts times a day. Not least because of work and children of school age. It must be good to be retired and have enough money to enjoy it.

If you're getting a hint of stop moaning from my posts it's partly right! :wink:

Seriously, what others do is up to them. Are you really starting a thread not saying "others are lazy" , but really saying "look how active I am"? Fishing for compliments at your age, not a good look mate! :wink: :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:.
As human beings almost every one of our actions. Inventions and developments is aimed at avoiding any effort and making us lazier. It's the curse of humanity.

Al

Yes but is that laziness or efficiency? It's probably what we evolved to be like - as hunter/gatherers the less energy wasted in providing food, shelter etc the greater chance of survival.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker