Environmental protestors interrupt Chancellor's speech

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Carlton green

Re: Environmental protestors interrupt Chancellor's speech

Post by Carlton green »

bovlomov wrote:
Carlton green wrote:To put the gatecrash in a different light who would be pleased to have a similar action at their wedding reception? A load of people descending on your private event to protest because meat was on the menu or because some of your guests had flown to the event. I predict that the overwhelming majority of guests and hosts would be pretty upset by such a wilful abuse.

I think upsetting the guests and host was the purpose. The history of the world would be very different if protesters had eschewed annoyance as a tactic. In any case, a Mansion House dinner can't be reasonably compared with my wedding reception. For one thing, we invited no guests. For another, we have no influence over national environmental policy.

Ben@Forest has supplied you with a good answer which I don’t think I can add much too.

As they say: “there’s a time and place for everything”. In this case I believe that the protesters overstepped the mark, however I do take your point about ‘if protesters had eschewed annoyance as a tactic’. It’s a tricky balance or a fine line to tread, and this time the protesters were the wrong side of it. Personally I want protests to be legal, responsible, reasonable and effective; gatecrashing an event like this just degrades genuine protest and is effectively a form of aggression towards others who might even have already been positive toward your cause.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

The politically determined provocateur manipulated the situation to suit her propaganda driven agenda.

Mission accomplished.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Please don't annoy people when you are protesting the destruction of the planet. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:Please don't annoy people when you are protesting the destruction of the planet. :wink:

Not destruction; "politically motivated propaganda".
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kwackers wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Please don't annoy people when you are protesting the destruction of the planet. :wink:

Not destruction; "politically motivated propaganda".

Oh well, that's okay, then.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

The Mansion House was paid for by fines imposed on dissenters. With perfect symmetry, dissenters have decided they'd like to comment on what goes on in there.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

windmiller wrote:The politically determined provocateur manipulated the situation to suit her propaganda driven [Are you sure?? Mattheus ]agenda.

Mission accomplished.

They certainly achieved their objective! Loads of publicity.

Almost all of it good - because luckily an oafish politician attempted to "resolve" the situation, and just as they would have predicted - looked very bad in the process. Protestor then declined to prosecute - thus gaining even more moral high ground.

Whatever the cause, they did a goob job.

(I happen to think Greenpeace have a pretty good cause - it is mostly science-driven, which is rather different to "propaganda driven". windmiller may disagree!)
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

mattheus wrote:
windmiller wrote:The politically determined provocateur manipulated the situation to suit her propaganda driven [Are you sure?? Mattheus ]agenda.

Mission accomplished.

Almost all of it good - because luckily an oafish politician attempted to "resolve" the situation, and just as they would have predicted - looked very bad in the process. Protestor then declined to prosecute - thus gaining even more moral high ground.

(I happen to think Greenpeace have a pretty good cause - it is mostly science-driven, which is rather different to "propaganda driven". windmiller may disagree!)

Yes loads of publicity and sympathy and shed loads of morality medals. Whatever next - Golden halos at the none melting snowflake awards?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:

Mission accomplished.

(I happen to think Greenpeace have a pretty good cause - it is mostly science-driven, which is rather different to "propaganda driven"........)

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:

Mission accomplished.

(I happen to think Greenpeace have a pretty good cause - it is mostly science-driven, which is rather different to "propaganda driven"........)

:wink:

One man's science is another man's propaganda.

It is how you dismiss reality
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cunobelin wrote:One man's science is another man's propaganda.

It is how you dismiss reality

Though l am sure Greenpeace often have a valid message you do wonder if someone at Greenpeace HQ was getting a little worried about the column inches Extinction Rebellion have been getting recently.

Greenpeace is an organisation that relies on profile, relevance and donations as much as any other. I'm sure that around the top table making sure they are still notable is an important consideration. And they achieved that.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Ben@Forest wrote:Greenpeace is an organisation that relies on profile, relevance and donations as much as any other. I'm sure that around the top table making sure they are still notable is an important consideration. And they achieved that.

Yup - who would have thought the snowflakes had it in them? Chapeau!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The simple fact is that nothing positive or progressive is ever achieved without pressure groups going on for years. Governments only bow to pressure. Any initiative they have all on their own, whether in the area of the environment, housing, criminal justice, social and welfare justice or health, is almost always negative and retrograde.
John
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Oldjohnw wrote:The simple fact is that nothing positive or progressive is ever achieved without pressure groups going on for years. Governments only bow to pressure. Any initiative they have all on their own, whether in the area of the environment, housing, criminal justice, social and welfare justice or health, is almost always negative and retrograde.

Yes. And the corporate lobbying never ceases. Corporations don't need to gatecrash events, as they are either honoured guests or they are the hosts.

Corporations have the ear of ministers and prime ministers. They have staff seconded to the civil service, while civil servants often find employment within the corporations that they were once policing.

I think we should forgive the campaigner if s/he breaches etiquette in order to gain a minister's attention. It ain't going to happen any other way.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

bovlomov wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The simple fact is that nothing positive or progressive is ever achieved without pressure groups going on for years. Governments only bow to pressure. Any initiative they have all on their own, whether in the area of the environment, housing, criminal justice, social and welfare justice or health, is almost always negative and retrograde.

Yes. And the corporate lobbying never ceases. Corporations don't need to gatecrash events, as they are either honoured guests or they are the hosts.

Corporations have the ear of ministers and prime ministers. They have staff seconded to the civil service, while civil servants often find employment within the corporations that they were once policing.

I think we should forgive the campaigner if s/he breaches etiquette in order to gain a minister's attention. It ain't going to happen any other way.

Its worse than that. Many MPs are paid lobbyists for companies and foreign governments.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9774964/MPs-paid-thousands-of-pounds-from-lobby-groups.html
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?