Environmental protestors interrupt Chancellor's speech

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Environmental protestors interrupt Chancellor's speech

Post by merseymouth »

Morning all, So Greenpeace activists decided to create a protest scene at the Mansion House speech from the Chancellor?
When she was cut off at the pass by a man who was a Government Minister, who laid hands on her and frog marched her out, she plays the "Delicate Female" card!
In these terrorist threatened times she should count herself quite fortunate the the gentleman treated her as softly as he did, she obviously didn't really care about any form of trauma that she might have caused.
She might well have suffered a far worse treatment had some armed security officer over reacted? Easily have been Tazared, even been shot! I could well see a protection team such Trump has going "B*lls Out" and taking out the threat!
She may well see herself as a latter-day Sufferagette, but it is surely not beyond belief that she could actually been a suicide bomber, not a very smart female or indeed person of any gender?
Stupid overly committed activists of any sort surely undermine the credibility of their cause with such folly, not acceptable to the average person in the street. IGICB MM
reohn2

Re: Environmental idiots?

Post by reohn2 »

Whilst I agree these days such a protest is a dicey deed,if people don't protest about what is the greatest threat to humanity who'll know?
The average Joe and Joess on the street is more interested in their Facebook than the world around them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

In today's world of suicide bombers, acid attacks and murdered MPs protestors committing aggravated trespass open themselves up to this kind of treatment. It may not be gentle but if she'd had a knife he'd have been a hero.

Field has referred himself to the Cabinet Office for investigation. No more to be said at these stage really.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Apparently he acted out of fear she might be armed.

Must be a different incident because in the one I saw the bloke simply lost his rag (and that particular bloke looked like the sort that might have run a mile when confronted by a real terrorist rather than a women in a red evening dress).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

kwackers wrote:Apparently he acted out of fear she might be armed.

Must be a different incident because in the one I saw the bloke simply lost his rag (and that particular bloke looked like the sort that might have run a mile when confronted by a real terrorist rather than a women in a red evening dress).

ulrike.jpg

Because you'd have known Ulrike Meinhof was a terrorist.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ben@Forest wrote:Because you'd have known Ulrike Meinhof was a terrorist.

Obviously not, but I know when someone pushes someone else in anger - and that's exactly what he did.
He didn't think she was a terrorist, he was just narked and broke.

Why not simply accept it instead of coming up with some cock and bull story?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:Whilst I agree these days such a protest is a dicey deed,if people don't protest about what is the greatest threat to humanity who'll know?
The average Joe and Joess on the street is more interested in their Facebook than the world around them.

Yup. I'd like to hear from MerseyMouth which past/recent green protests he would praise for successfully winning a majority of hearts and minds over.

[I agree that the protestor and the gov vigilante could both have done things better - easy to say from the sidelines ... ]
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

kwackers wrote: Why not simply accept it instead of coming up with some cock and bull story?

Concern, feeling threatened, anger, possibly all part of the same train of emotions. Nowadays if l was in any position close to those in the public eye and that happened l may be worried for my or others' safety too. As l said he has referred himself for investigation. I'll be satisfied with their verdict.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

MM remove your blinkers and take a look at the full video.
You’ll see a woman with a phone in one hand and hand bag in other. You’ll see a room full of people not looking concerned at all. Then you’ll see an angry man just look at his eyes.
Walk into that room at that point and quickly assess the danger and who would you fear? Who’s the loon?
For me it’s the angry man and he’s supposed to represent the people of this small island. :roll:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It seems that MM's ire is because she was an environmentalist: see his thread title.

And bear in mind that the Chancellor has said we can't afford to be Carbon Neutral by 2050.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:It seems that MM's ire is because she was an environmentalist: see his thread title.

And bear in mind that the Chancellor has said we can't afford to be Carbon Neutral by 2050.

Can't afford to be, can't afford not to be.
Pretty much everyone that does the maths though reckons it's cheaper to be green than not to be.

If we had actual testicles we'd be setting ourselves up as leaders in green tech. As it is the Chinese and others are running away with it all reducing us to nothing more than consumers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

We can do green tech but not as cheap as the Chinese. That's globalisation for you. Manufacturing and, eventually, design too, goes to countries where they do it cheaper. And dirtier. We can clean up all we like but the stuff we buy will still be made in places where standards are lower.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:We can do green tech but not as cheap as the Chinese. That's globalisation for you. Manufacturing and, eventually, design too, goes to countries where they do it cheaper. And dirtier. We can clean up all we like but the stuff we buy will still be made in places where standards are lower.

Don't need to actually manufacture the stuff, research would be a starting point.

Anyway the Chinese are fairly quickly cleaning up, chuck in the way industrial processes are becoming simpler and easier thanks to automation and various processes and a lot of the manufacturing costs start to equalise.
Vorpal

Re: Environmental protestors interrupt Chancellor's speech

Post by Vorpal »

Whatever you think of environmentalists, this was not the way to handle the situation. The way to deal with someone who doesn't belong there is block them or call security. The other protestors seemed to have been merely blocked.

1) if he truly feared she was armed, he should have
a) shouted 'call police!' or something to that affect
b) tackled her

2) what he did would not have been effective if she had had a weapon, or other violent intentions; it was much more the sort of move that an angry person or abuser uses against a vulnerable person

3) IMO, he should be charged with assault & battery. The person who threw a milkshake on Farage has admitted assault. This is worse.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Re: Environmental protestors interrupt Chancellor's speech

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:We can do green tech but not as cheap as the Chinese. That's globalisation for you. Manufacturing and, eventually, design too, goes to countries where they do it cheaper. And dirtier. We can clean up all we like but the stuff we buy will still be made in places where standards are lower.

We have to invest in development. The UK isn't to the extent that some other countries are. China is.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom