Lôn Las is Rubbish

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ubert767

Lôn Las is Rubbish

Post by ubert767 »

Just completed the Lôn Las ride from north to south and then onward to home in Dorset. A truely magnificent trip with some great climbs and stunning scenery but Oh! the amount of roadside rubbish, such a shame. I've seen enough dumped gel packets and " Red Bull" cans to last me for a while.
Rob
pwa

Re: Lôn Las is Rubbish

Post by pwa »

Do you think it was litter dropped by passing traffic, including cyclists, or was it recycling bags raided by wildlife?
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

It"s difficult to aportion the source of the rubbish, though some of it is plainly from cyclists (gels, innertubes, gas cylinders etc), most of the litter is drink or snack related.
Much of the housing on the route seemed to be covered by recycling bin schemes so I don't think that forraging animals are to blame. Sadly, the litter is readily found in some quite remote locations.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Disappointing. I hope it didn't completely ruin your experience of Wales. Did you do the Gospel Pass?
RickH

Post by RickH »

ubert767 wrote:It"s difficult to aportion the source of the rubbish, though some of it is plainly from cyclists (gels, innertubes, gas cylinders etc), most of the litter is drink or snack related.
Much of the housing on the route seemed to be covered by recycling bin schemes so I don't think that forraging animals are to blame. Sadly, the litter is readily found in some quite remote locations.

There are a lot of small gas cylinders littering the place that I suspect aren't from cyclists. Rather they are from folk using NO (? laughing gas) cylinders (made to be used for making whipped cream) to get high. They are often too small to be for bike CO2 use.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip, the quality of the scenery goes without saying and we were very impressed with the standard of accomodation and food. Weather was generally dry.
The remoteness of the top of Gospel Pass was one of the highlights, not too proud to admit to pushing for a while though!
PH

Post by PH »

ubert767 wrote:The remoteness of the top of Gospel Pass was one of the highlights, not too proud to admit to pushing for a while though!

Yes, one of the highlights of my trip. I did it in the opposite direction and apart from a very steep bit at the start the gradient is steady, coming down the other side there were a couple of parts I was glad I didn't have to climb.
I did it 4 years ago and didn't notice the rubbish, were you following a major event?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I live in Wales and have done so for decades. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But I do sometimes find otherwise beautiful places spoilt by litter, and it makes me feel annoyed and fed up.

On a positive note, my wife teaches and a few days ago she looked out of a classroom window and saw two girls walking past a rubbish bag that had been ripped open by wildlife. They paused, exchanged a few words, then started picking up the litter with their bare hands and pushing it back into the torn bag. My wife watched for a minute, then reported their action to the head teacher so that their good deed won't go unrecognised. That story gives me a warm glow.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Every spring here schools & other volunteers turn out to clean up the roadsides & ditches. While it's good to see, it pains me to think that the authorities are taking advantage of their good will, not to mention the fact that the kids in particular are risking their health to clear up the leavings of slovenly swine who would sneer at the idea of turning out themselves.

Recently the authorities made the problem worse by beginning to charge for rubbish collection by weight, so that dumping full bin bags in the country now pays off.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

PH wrote:I did it 4 years ago and didn't notice the rubbish, were you following a major event?

I don't think there had been an immediate earlier major event, the rubbish looked as though it was an accumulation over time.

pwa wrote:On a positive note, my wife teaches and a few days ago she looked out of a classroom window and saw two girls walking past a rubbish bag that had been ripped open by wildlife.

Hope lies with the younger generation.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Wales is in pretty good nick, do not fear. (200 miles up-n-down there last weekend - damp but gorgeous!)

On my only trip (so far) to the famous Alpine climbs I took a piccie at one of the earlier hairpins of Alpe D'Huez - the number of discarded gels was just awful. And this was *before* the Etape came thru!