Hydrogen Vehicles

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Hydrogen Vehicles

Post by Ben@Forest »

RickH wrote:The other solution, at least for some, is an electric conversion. Jaguar &, more recently, Aston Martin have done official conversions, both fully reversible. I've seen examples of an eclectic mix of other older cars (some classics, some maybe a bit less so) done by 3rd parties - VW Beetle , Morris Minors , Porsche 911, Mk1 Range Rover, Volvo 240 Estate are ones I can remember.

I'm sure that's true but for most classic, vintage or even veteran car owners the rebuild or maintenance of the engine, and its authenticity, is pretty important, especially since many of them do this themselves. No one with a 4 and a half litre Bentley is going to to want it to be a silent electric motor instead.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ben@Forest wrote:As to classic cars l suspect the authorities will always want petrol easily dispensed straight into the tank, if storing petrol in the shed at home becomes an 'easier' option and a couple of accidents occur then government policy will be blamed for encouraging bad practice.

It's down to numbers really. How many people store petrol in their shed now? A lot I reckon; I've got about 3 gallons in there for my petrol gardening gear. I reckon everyone with a petrol mower probably has a can stashed.

I could replace my mower tomorrow with one that wasn't petrol - some of the battery operated ones are pretty good now. I suspect mowers are another thing that will head off into 'EV' land (I'm sort of banking on automatic mowers being good enough and affordable by the time I need to replace mine).

Anyway that's a digression, where I was going was that currently there'll be a lot of petrol stored by folk now. That'll reduce and imo a lot less will end up being stored even allowing for classics owners beginning to keep a store.
I'd also think most classics owners will actually store the stuff in the vehicle rather than in jerry cans.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I have a full can of unleaded, and another one mixed for 2stroke.

I have a thread on here from years ago saying how I worked out how much unleaded I get through per year for our 4stroke mower. I worked out knowing the cutting width and the area of the grass, and therefore the minimum distance to cut it all.

If my memory serves me correctly .................. I'm not about to search for the thread! ............... the mower does 9mpg. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote:Yes, I have a full can of unleaded, and another one mixed for 2stroke

But if you owned a four and a half litre Bentley, which uses about a litre of fuel a minute at full chat, and the closest petrol station was 25 miles away you might be tempted to store more fuel than is safe in your garage. And the government would want to avoid creating that situation.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Next thing, old steamrollers and traction engines will be banned by the thought police because some run on coal, ban steam trains etc whilst the rest of the world carries on regardless. I dont think so.... They tried to ban Classics from town centres in Germany, lead to mass protests. Same thing will probably happen here.
Garages mostly have shops, they will survive regardless of the supposed electric revolution. With a large fall in initial cost an electric vehicle will be an ideal local runabout IF the owner has a drive or garage with power.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yes, I have a full can of unleaded, and another one mixed for 2stroke

But if you owned a four and a half litre Bentley, which uses about a litre of fuel a minute at full chat, and the closest petrol station was 25 miles away you might be tempted to store more fuel than is safe in your garage. And the government would want to avoid creating that situation.

How many 4.5ltr Bentleys are there about?
TBH if I were enthusiastic and rich enough to own one I think I'd store any fuel either in the car's fuel tank or in a dedicated fuel store,and I should think the vast majority of vintage/veteran car enthusiasts would also do the same.
That said,a law that states all fuel over say 4l shall be stored Xmetres away from sources of ignition and in a British Standard metal container with lockable filler cap should cover any eventualities.
Thinks.... .....what about oil storage tanks form central heating?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:Thinks.... .....what about oil storage tanks form central heating?

Is there anyone on here that is completely free of fossil energy for domestic heating?

I include oil, solid fuel (but not wood), gas (bio gas exempted) and electric generated partly by gas turbine etc.

But a I will except mick's chain saw fuel as exempt, though it's a moot point!!
And I guess electric for running heat pumps etc though again something of a moot point.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:How many 4.5ltr Bentleys are there about?

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=bentley&commit=Search
Mick F. Cornwall
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Doesn't stored leaded petrol go off after a period of time?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote:https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=bentley&commit=Search

Recently l saw three 4.5 litre Bentleys on some rally toiling up the hills around Allenheads. They must've been using a lot of fuel! But its not just Bentleys, there are thousands of old cars, with very poor mpg across the country.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:

It only goes back to 2001 :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:

It only goes back to 2001 :?

Further than Micks memory... ;)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:so the latest thing, silent electric cars not allowed. :lol: I hope we are given a choice, I want a car that sounds like a Roller or a Bentley or even better a Ferrarri 8) even if it looks like a mini :lol:

Many cars now have completely artificial engine noises, so you can have what you like, even a Ferrarri 8 [sic] Toruing, I expect :wink:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Thinks.... .....what about oil storage tanks form central heating?

Is there anyone on here that is completely free of fossil energy for domestic heating?

I include oil, solid fuel (but not wood), gas (bio gas exempted) and electric generated partly by gas turbine etc.

Yes and no.

We have ground source heating from a vertical bore. It uses electricity from the grid to drive the pump and the controller that handles thermostats and the responses of the valves of the system to ambient conditions. However, we also have solar panels that generate more electricity than is used by the heating pump, water pump (another bore hole) and some of the other electric thingies of the house. Some not all.

We could install a few more solar panels and a large battery to increase (and store) the extra watt-hours we get from the sun - possibly up to the number we use for all our electric things, even the tablesaw and planer-thicknesser. But that would be very costly, especially the battery. And it would make us hostage to fortune (or the weather) if we gave up the grid.

It must be possible to go off-grid but it would take a major investment in the gubbins to provide not just enough juice but a high enough degree of resilience against bad weather or other factors reducing the generation of juice for a significant period. A windmill would help (loadsa money again) but the big cost would be significant storage capacity against a long period of non-generation of juice.

The alternative is to reduce the consumption of electricity. But there would go the woodworking and the electric car. I'd rather find a way to generate and store as much as I want, from renewables only. Perhaps a long lost relative will leave me a wodge? Perhaps the gubbins will get a lot less expensive if government encourages it's use whilst penalising the use of the toxic stuff we all use now?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cugel wrote:But there would go the woodworking and the electric car.

A real woodworker would eschew electrical thingimajigs and use good old hand planes and saws.

If you have an electric car you don't need a house battery, simply get the car to dump power back to the house during the night.