Hydrogen Vehicles

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Hydrogen Vehicles

Post by [XAP]Bob »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Not sure what point you're making - it seems like you're agreeing with me?

I've extended the post since you read and quoted it...

There are different technologies for different application, grid scale batteries are a very positive thing for a number of reasons, but they aren't designed to be used for six months of storage, and they don't need to be.

There are other longer term storage options available, and some of those might be good things to explore and use.

The point really is that Grid batteries do what they do well, but you're trying to suggest they do something else.

It's a bit like saying that bike is no good for transport because you can't fit a 40ft container on it.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Not sure what point you're making - it seems like you're agreeing with me?

I've extended the post since you read and quoted it...

There are different technologies for different application, grid scale batteries are a very positive thing for a number of reasons, but they aren't designed to be used for six months of storage, and they don't need to be.

There are other longer term storage options available, and some of those might be good things to explore and use.

The point really is that Grid batteries do what they do well, but you're trying to suggest they do something else.

It's a bit like saying that bike is no good for transport because you can't fit a 40ft container on it.

I didn't say that batteries had no application in the grid (they're almost exclusively used for ultra rapid frequency response balancing, including that SA example, which is how it makes its money).

What I said was "re battery storage at grid level - not remotely credible for winter coverage from everything I've seen"

I've no idea what you're taking issue with here. Honestly, I think we agree with one another entirely!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, so bicycles are useless for cargo...

Except they aren’t, they’re only useless at something they’re not designed for.

Why even mention chemical butteries in the area of long term storage. Long term storage is a bit pointless anyway, what you want is sufficient diversity in supply that you don’t need long term storage.

It is rarely both cloudy and still for long periods, so there are complementary renewables technologies, which combined with various battery technologies and a slow response clean base load generation facility the grid would hold up very well.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Why even mention chemical butteries in the area of long term storage.

I didn't! I responded to someone who did!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Why even mention chemical butteries in the area of long term storage.

I didn't! I responded to someone who did!!

Derp... twenty pages of text and I managed to agree with someone :oops:

Consider my post directed at them then...