PotUS from 2021: Buttigieg, Bernie, Warren, Trump?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fullupandslowingdown

Re: PotUS from 2021: Buttigieg, Bernie, Warren, Trump?

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Oh and the employment figures in england are a fudge. a fudge of such gigantic proportions that it attracts a sugar tax of 317%
People are subsisting on zero hours contracts, or bogus self employment, they're not real, full time, living wage jobs that the government has proudly boasted of
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:I'll repeat.........

You'll repeat, stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalalala" until nasty men stop proving remain side lied too? Or rather have dodgy predictions without foundation to gain political advantage for their side.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:

You'll repeat, stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalalala" until nasty men stop proving remain side lied too? Or rather have dodgy predictions without foundation to gain political advantage for their side.

Predictions are just that,no one can predict the future only guess at the outcome based on current situations,
Now I repeat again,we've not left yet so don't know what leaving will entail,but many people with their finger on the pulse are claiming the UK will be worse off as a result.The pro Brexit lobby have so far done nothing to dissuade me from the belief that the UK(and by UK I mean as a whole not a small proportion of it)will be far worse off socially,culturally,environmentally and economically after leaving the EU.
When or if I'm proved wrong I'll be the first to admit it until then I stick to my belief if it's all the same with you.

BTW,I firmly believe the 'nasty men' are currently in power looking after the their puppet masters and the well off,whilst thumbing their noses at the rest of the idiots who voted for them,I'll believe differently if I ever see it,up to now after their 10 years in government I haven't
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I knew a guy who was self employed. Worked when he wanted, picked his jobs, etc. Had a good life sorted for his family. Last I heard one child was training to be an opera singer, the other was training to be a surgeon with the army. He set them up well by being self employed.

Someone else I knew had a non standard way of working. Multiple jobs which she could pick and choose to some degree whilst being a NHS nurse. Later bank work, self employed and part time Amazon worker.

Self employed and zero hours are what they are. If they work for you then they're good. If not they can be rather bad types of contract. It's simplistic, as always, to look at these things in primary colours.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:

Predictions are just that,no one can predict the future only guess at the outcome based on current situations,
Now I repeat again,we've not left yet so don't know what leaving will entail,but many people with their finger on the pulse are claiming the UK will be worse off as a result.The pro Brexit lobby have so far done nothing to dissuade me from the belief that the UK(and by UK I mean as a whole not a small proportion of it)will be far worse off socially,culturally,environmentally and economically after leaving the EU.
When or if I'm proved wrong I'll be the first to admit it until then I stick to my belief if it's all the same with you.

BTW,I firmly believe the 'nasty men' are currently in power looking after the their puppet masters and the well off,whilst thumbing their noses at the rest of the idiots who voted for them,I'll believe differently if I ever see it,up to now after their 10 years in government I haven't

Predictions weren't for leaving but first year after three referendum. Your comments skirt that pertinent point. Being precise timescale that has passed allows for evidence based assessment of their accuracy. If they're wildly out, like they are, then it's fair to say project fear was their aim not dissemination of honest information or predictions. It's obviously as much about the con as leave side. It's why I think a second referendum had some merit once the deal was known.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So are we any nearer to finding a Democrat candidate capable of defeating Trump?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:So are we any nearer to finding a Democrat candidate capable of defeating Trump?

Well Sanders if the people of the USA have any sense.Though suspect they'll vote Orange toxic again and like UK voters believe anything they're told despite recent history.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So are you a closet Trump supporter?

Seriously, in America the Democrats are voting for a democratic candidate with the electability of Corbyn. Nice to have someone with policies you like coming out the wazoo but another to stop the trump bandwagon from winning a second term.

Also, what's with left leaning political leaders all being at the older age range? Nothing wrong with it but it seems to me that the American and UK left were mostly older than leaders in the recent past. Isn't ButtyGreggs more mainstream Democrat than lefty? Warren and Sanders are the lefties and they're definitely no spring chickens.

As I said, no problem with age just wondering if they're suppressing the next generation of lefties in America. Like Corbyn and McDonnell in the UK perhaps. At least more long bailey is peaking out from behind Corbyn's shadow now.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Audax67:
Obama, a black, was elected, but I think he sneaked up unexpectedly in the primaries, many people did not like Ms Clinton, plenty of people liked her too mind, minusplus?
I think a woman or a homosexual could be elected
The more pressing question after Mrs Merkel goes, sooner or later: is Germany ready for a male leader? :wink:

I'd be all for it: in general they tend to have fewer mad-dog tendencies.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Tangled Metal wrote:So are you a closet Trump supporter?

Seriously, in America the Democrats are voting for a democratic candidate with the electability of Corbyn. Nice to have someone with policies you like coming out the wazoo but another to stop the trump bandwagon from winning a second term.

Also, what's with left leaning political leaders all being at the older age range? Nothing wrong with it but it seems to me that the American and UK left were mostly older than leaders in the recent past. Isn't ButtyGreggs more mainstream Democrat than lefty? Warren and Sanders are the lefties and they're definitely no spring chickens.

As I said, no problem with age just wondering if they're suppressing the next generation of lefties in America. Like Corbyn and McDonnell in the UK perhaps. At least more long bailey is peaking out from behind Corbyn's shadow now.

They are useful idiots left over from the mid 20th century with little idea about how times have changed.

Sanders was praising Fidel Castro in the last few days, a man who allowed no free speech, no free press, no free elections and no free trade unions in Cuba throughout his reign.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, Biden is surging

I fear Mr Tump shall get another four years
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh no, Biden is surging

I fear Mr Tump shall get another four years

I reckon he's the Democrats' best chance, especially as he's now woken up at long last.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:So are you a closet Trump supporter?

They are useful idiots left over from the mid 20th century with little idea about how times have changed.

Sanders was praising Fidel Castro in the last few days, a man who allowed no free speech, no free press, no free elections and no free trade unions in Cuba throughout his reign.

There's no fool like an old fool.

And Trump is besties with the Taliban and N Korea, Erdogan in Turkey and Modi in India, where freedom is but an illusion.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, Bernie has withdrawn, looks like Biden (77) shall be the next PotUS, minusplus?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Looks like the Democrats are going to repeat their 2016 mistake - choosing a candidate who can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.