Smart meters and Solar Panels

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Smart meters and Solar Panels

Post by mercalia »

A story on the World At One. Seems like many smart meters charge you for any power you produce from a solar panel that you put into the grid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil:

An expert suggested that as many as 10% of installations do this
toontra

Re: Smart meters and Solar Panels

Post by toontra »

Just listened to a repeat of today's WaO and couldn't hear anything about this. Sure it was today?

I'm interested because I have solar panels and (for various reasons) would like a smart meter but SEE say they are not compatible yet. I've been asking for years and the reply is always "in the next few months".

From the sound of things it's just as well I haven't had one fitted yet!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It was on last week, and raised again today. Absolutely shocking that these power people get away with this. They must know who's producing what, it's just that they don't care because people just pay up and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
Hopefully, they'll get their come-uppance.

Makes me laugh that folk don't look at their smart meters .................. or any meters!
Makes me laugh too, that folk have DD for stuff like that.

Send me an itemised bill, I'll check it, and if correct, I'll pay it.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

toontra wrote:Just listened to a repeat of today's WaO and couldn't hear anything about this. Sure it was today?

I'm interested because I have solar panels and (for various reasons) would like a smart meter but SEE say they are not compatible yet. I've been asking for years and the reply is always "in the next few months".

From the sound of things it's just as well I haven't had one fitted yet!

come to think of it it may have been just before World at One.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It was a You and Yours item today.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006dr7
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:It was on last week, and raised again today. Absolutely shocking that these power people get away with this. They must know who's producing what, it's just that they don't care because people just pay up and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
Hopefully, they'll get their come-uppance.

Makes me laugh that folk don't look at their smart meters .................. or any meters!
Makes me laugh too, that folk have DD for stuff like that.

Send me an itemised bill, I'll check it, and if correct, I'll pay it.

I seem to remember some thing beign said about the meter running backwards into _ve and the supplier thinks you have been tampering with it :shock: when they look at the data from the smart meter, like clocking cars :lol:
Halla

Post by Halla »

Has anyone heard any more about Smart Meters affecting the operation of the main electric meter and therefore billing, where Solar Panels are fitted at the property?

The energy suppliers are increasing pressure on customers to accept Smart Meters. I have had emails and text messages this week, as have others that I have spoken to.

Will be very interesting to see the mess that may have been created in the billing systems of the energy companies.

Or have those who started the discussion, ie: The Press and BBC, gone away to stir up something else which is fake news. :lol: :oops:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Some energy suppliers are aware of this and are stating that the new 2nd generation meters known as SMETS2 are compatible with solar panels. Some of the previous issues were caused by the way export payments for solar panels were calculated. As Export meters weren't usually installed only total PV generation as they were expensive the export was calculated as half the total solar panel generation on the basis that half was used by the household and the other half was sent back to the grid. SMETS2 meters are capable of measuring the export to the grid as well as the import to the house. (The import to the house will be reduced by the PV generation, if the PV generation is higher than the household use then the excess is exported.)
If the household was using more than 50% of the pv generation then when the smart meter was installed, the true readings reflected in the bill could have reduced the fit payment.
When my solar panels were installed my electric meter ran backwards until I informed my provider who soon changed it for a digital one that only runs forward. :(
I would like a smart meter but where I live down south the mobile signal is poor and smart meters won't work. Up north they have a dedicated system which doesn't rely on the mobile phone signal. I believe as the dedicated network is built all meters will communicate with it without a need for a mobile phone signal.
If you think you may have a high demand eg if you are considering an electric car soon then the charging will probably exceed the PV generation. Under those circumstances not having a smart meter will be of benefit to you paid for by the rest of us consumers :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"The energy suppliers are increasing pressure on customers to accept Smart Meters. I have had emails and text messages this week, as have others that I have spoken to."

Indeed. Latest notice to me very strongly implied that I HAD to have one for safety reasons. Simply said "we'll be in your area, call to arrange most convenient time...." Ignored of course. One of biggest rip offs of the decade. And I have to contribute to the cost through my energy bills.
toontra

Post by toontra »

None of the energy suppliers I've spoken to are able to provide me with a smart meter (of either generation) that will reliably work with solar panels and a FIT meter. I'm in central London where signal power is close to perfect.

This has been going on for years - bombarded with leaflets, emails, letters, etc urging me to get a smart meter, me ringing them every few months for the last 5 years to find out what the current status is and still no progress. It's a pretty sad reflection on the UK's ability to sort out what should be a relatively basic technology issue, and ironic that those who have bothered to make environmentally beneficial adaptations to their home are excluded from the supposed benefits of smart metering.

Farces like this (plus Crossrail, electrification of GWR, etc) should set alarm bells ringing for a project like HS2. On past form, not a cat's chance in hell that it would end well.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Nothing to do with solar panels, but we changed supplier for gas and electricity again a month or two back and yet again they said we had to agree to them installing a smart meter. We said what we always say, which is "We have next to no mobile phone signal here so it won't work", but they never listen so yet again we had to wait in for the appointment for some bloke to try to install a working smart meter, fail due to lack of signal, then go away leaving us with a non-smart meter. And to top it off a few days later we get a message from the provider congratulating us on converting to a smart meter. I fully expect this total waste of human resources to repeat next time we change provider.
Halla

Post by Halla »

I have checked back on bills to before and after smart meter was fitted in 2012. It does appear that billing became very erratic in the years after the installation of the smart meter.

Now asked both my current and previous suppliers to check their archives and to come and check my meter.

It does not seem possible to check the meter yourself without a working monitor as the meter has no inbuilt digital counter.

Perhaps the suppliers should smarten up and be more honest about this whole mess.

I am sure that the money being wasted on smart metering could have been spent on better things.
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

It now seems that marketing blurb has changed. Instead of banging on about how easy it is to watch your meter when boiling a kettle they are now saying that the benefits are that future demand can be forecast more accurately.

They still wont admit that they are able to change your tarriff at a second's notice when something good comes on the telly. And you can do nothing about it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

CX-3 wrote:It now seems that marketing blurb has changed. Instead of banging on about how easy it is to watch your meter when boiling a kettle they are now saying that the benefits are that future demand can be forecast more accurately.

They still wont admit that they are able to change your tarriff at a second's notice when something good comes on the telly. And you can do nothing about it.
Much truth in that.
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

Demand management by short-duration, variable, pricing will be the only good thing to come out of the Smart Meter debacle.

Otherwise billions of pounds of your money is the wasted opportunity cost. Those billions could have been spent on more renewables, better insulation, upgrading the the electricity network, etc.,

I'm pretty sure that it was initiated at an EC level. I hope that other countries have made a better job of implementation.