First escooter death?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11505
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

First escooter death?

Postby mercalia » 14 Jul 2019, 9:00am

I see quite a few of these things in London, many riding fast on the pavement a few on the road. the police shlould put a stop to them.
so now some one has died. Since they are illegal on teh roads ponder the consequences if you have an accident but not killed but injured and need to make a claim?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... GTUK_email

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6855
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: First escooter death?

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Jul 2019, 9:05am

I doubt the police have the resources to put a stop to anything in London tbh.

kwackers
Posts: 13718
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: First escooter death?

Postby kwackers » 14 Jul 2019, 9:08am

Someone got killed on an escooter?
Oh no! Where are the police? Why aren't they banned?

Good job we don't apply the same logic to bicycles - or perhaps we should?

IMO escooters should be allowed on the road. No reason why not, same profile and speed as a bicycle - and more manoeuvrable.

toontra
Posts: 646
Joined: 21 Dec 2007, 11:01am
Location: London

Re: First escooter death?

Postby toontra » 14 Jul 2019, 9:12am

I think the person who sadly died was what is termed as an internet "influencer". Their tragedy will hopefully influence others not to ride these things illegally around London, many of them dangerously, at least until a legal framework for their use is established.

kwackers
Posts: 13718
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: First escooter death?

Postby kwackers » 14 Jul 2019, 9:21am

toontra wrote:I think the person who sadly died was what is termed as an internet "influencer". Their tragedy will hopefully influence others not to ride these things illegally around London, many of them dangerously.

What does legal/illegal have to do with safety?
Ever seen a bicycle ridden dangerously?

Only question I'd want answered is are the brakes up to stopping the scooter at the speeds they travel?
If the answer is 'yes' then no reason they can't be allowed on the roads.

toontra
Posts: 646
Joined: 21 Dec 2007, 11:01am
Location: London

Re: First escooter death?

Postby toontra » 14 Jul 2019, 9:34am

kwackers wrote:What does legal/illegal have to do with safety?
Ever seen a bicycle ridden dangerously?


What other laws are you happy to be ignored?

Bicycles are legal to ride on roads. Some are ridden dangerously. Your argument is spurious as you well know and arguments like this usually lead to pointless forum semantics. Count me out.

mercalia
Posts: 11505
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: First escooter death?

Postby mercalia » 14 Jul 2019, 9:45am

my worry about scooters is that your point of contact with them is so limited just hands and feet on a small platform, easily to dislodge ( I would imagine )

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13742
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: First escooter death?

Postby gaz » 14 Jul 2019, 9:47am

toontra wrote:I think the person who sadly died was what is termed as an internet "influencer". Their tragedy will hopefully influence others not to ride these things illegally around London, many of them dangerously, at least until a legal framework for their use is established.

Once a legal framework is established some people will continue to use them illegally, just as already happens with all other vehicles on the road.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13742
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: First escooter death?

Postby gaz » 14 Jul 2019, 9:50am

mercalia wrote:my worry about scooters is that your point of contact with them is so limited just hands and feet on a small platform, easily to dislodge ( I would imagine )

Best ban elliptigo cycles then.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

reohn2
Posts: 36348
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: First escooter death?

Postby reohn2 » 14 Jul 2019, 9:53am

Bonefishblues wrote:I doubt the police have the resources to put a stop to anything in London tbh.


Not only in London! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mercalia
Posts: 11505
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: First escooter death?

Postby mercalia » 14 Jul 2019, 9:58am

gaz wrote:
mercalia wrote:my worry about scooters is that your point of contact with them is so limited just hands and feet on a small platform, easily to dislodge ( I would imagine )

Best ban elliptigo cycles then.


never heard of them but I googled and had a good laugh. ANy one here ever ridden one? How popular are they? how much do they cost? ( $2500) I wonder what cornering on them is like. Maybe better than running :wink:a cycle for people who prefer to run 8) I see the hips do move up and down so wasteful of energy as the centre of gravity will keep going up and down?

Last edited by mercalia on 14 Jul 2019, 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.

reohn2
Posts: 36348
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: First escooter death?

Postby reohn2 » 14 Jul 2019, 10:08am

mercalia wrote:my worry about scooters is that your point of contact with them is so limited just hands and feet on a small platform, easily to dislodge ( I would imagine )

You mean like leg powered scooters?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mercalia
Posts: 11505
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: First escooter death?

Postby mercalia » 14 Jul 2019, 10:13am

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:my worry about scooters is that your point of contact with them is so limited just hands and feet on a small platform, easily to dislodge ( I would imagine )

You mean like leg powered scooters?

Just so. But you cannt go very fast on them?

Mike Sales
Posts: 3422
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: First escooter death?

Postby Mike Sales » 14 Jul 2019, 10:16am

Would a foam hat be a solution?

reohn2
Posts: 36348
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: First escooter death?

Postby reohn2 » 14 Jul 2019, 10:18am

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:my worry about scooters is that your point of contact with them is so limited just hands and feet on a small platform, easily to dislodge ( I would imagine )

You mean like leg powered scooters?

Just so. But you cannt go very fast on them?

Not even downhill?
The same applies to skateboards with even less body contact and no brakes :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.