what are you going to do when it hits 35C then plummnets down to 22C within 3 days?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: what are you going to do when it hits 35C on Thursday?

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you're drinking a lot of water without electrolytes then eating might be more important. I've seen the effects of someone who didn't drink much then started to drink a lot of just water. He read starting to wash out.

I wasn't with him when he got bad, others in our group were. They got him back to b the B&B they stayed at. The owners were keen fell runners and spotted the danger. They made him drink electrolyte drinks, one after the other until his pee came and became a more normal colour (sorry to talk bodily functions but wee colour is a good sign of hydration). The next day he felt like he was in his worse ever hangover.

BTW milk is supposed to be one of the most effective drinks to consume for hydration and recovery. I found that out empirically after long, hot days walking and drinking lots of orange juice, veg juice and water but still feeling thirsty and dehydrated. I tried a glass of milk and felt better. It's still one of my favourite recovery drinks back at home.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:If you're drinking a lot of water without electrolytes then eating might be more important. I've seen the effects of someone who didn't drink much then started to drink a lot of just water. He read starting to wash out.

Hyponatremia.

Far more dangerous than not drinking enough, a decent percentage of runners at the end of a marathon are suffering mild versions of it through drinking too much.
If you sweat you lose salt, if you drink you don't get it back.

An article I was reading (New Scientist?) said that your body isn't very good at absorbing salt through liquids.
Can't remember enough about it to provide anything other than a possible line of enquiry though.

I must admit on long distance races I tend not to drink very much, probably about half a litre per hour (your kidneys can only process about a litre an hour anyway).
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:40.5°+ was recorded in Geilenkirchen Germany
'Geil' is a slang word meaning 'sexy' or 'cool', so Coolchurch was the hottest place :wink:
One gets a bit tired of being told one should drink a lot in this awful weather, but what about eating?

You could eat ice lollies.

When I were a lad, 147 years ago, we bought a Jubbly when it was hot, which was frozen water with orange stuff later designated" e-number" in it, encased in a puzzling pyramidical waxed cardboard case. One sucked it for cool, as the "juice" rotted another tooth already made feeble by free NHS rosehip syrup, orange juice and malt that they gave to all the bairns to make them big and strappin' (which it did - as well as pleasing dentists, even though they pretended not to be pleased when you came for the filling).

The Jubbly could be awkward to control, as after one edge was ripped so one could poke out the frozen innard to suck upon, too tight a grip on the slippery case would pop the frozen lump out so it fell in the dirt that everyone played in then. Mind, we just wiped off the muck and sooked it anyway.

What would one buy now, of an icy nature, to eat rather than to drink? I have no idea but it'll probably cost £4.99 (£8.99 in that London).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Yes that's the condition. It does kill.

I too run a mild level of dehydration when doing activities. Back in my challenge walk days food and drink often got me into difficulties. I was pushing it and that meant I struggled to eat and drink enough. Food being the biggest issue. I used to be going well then dead. Seriously sharp boundary in energy because of inability to eat enough. I used to get sick and issues the other end on challenges. I think there's a thing that's recognised where long distance runners get the runs through exercise.

Sorry for crude topic of conversation but sports nutrition is interesting I think as are the issues related to exercise.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cugel wrote:You could eat ice lollies.

When I were a lad, 147 years ago, we bought a Jubbly when it was hot, which was frozen water with orange stuff later designated" e-number" in it, encased in a puzzling pyramidical waxed cardboard case. One sucked it for cool, as the "juice" rotted another tooth already made feeble by free NHS rosehip syrup, orange juice and malt that they gave to all the bairns to make them big and strappin' (which it did - as well as pleasing dentists, even though they pretended not to be pleased when you came for the filling).

The Jubbly could be awkward to control, as after one edge was ripped so one could poke out the frozen innard to suck upon, too tight a grip on the slippery case would pop the frozen lump out so it fell in the dirt that everyone played in then. Mind, we just wiped off the muck and sooked it anyway.

What would one buy now, of an icy nature, to eat rather than to drink? I have no idea but it'll probably cost £4.99 (£8.99 in that London).

Cugel

Our freezer at work is full of Jubblys, although either my hand is much larger or they're a mere shadow of their former selves.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:Yes that's the condition. It does kill.

I too run a mild level of dehydration when doing activities. Back in my challenge walk days food and drink often got me into difficulties. I was pushing it and that meant I struggled to eat and drink enough. Food being the biggest issue. I used to be going well then dead. Seriously sharp boundary in energy because of inability to eat enough. I used to get sick and issues the other end on challenges. I think there's a thing that's recognised where long distance runners get the runs through exercise.

Sorry for crude topic of conversation but sports nutrition is interesting I think as are the issues related to exercise.

There was another interesting article about nutrition recently (defo New Scientist this time).
Turns out your maximum metabolic rate is only 2.5 times your resting metabolic rate.
You can go to hundreds of times your metabolic rate for short periods but in the long term you can't exceed 2.5 times because that's determined by your bodies ability to absorb food.
They tested elite athletes, ultra runners and the sorts of folks you'd think would break that rule but nobody did. Eventually if you try you simply lose weight burning fat and muscle.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

At the moment not too bad, just over 25C when I last looked (I've moved my max-min to a better site, north wall of the house away from any direct sunlight). But this was at only 9am, so things looking ominous! Apart from hydration/dehydration, one of my concerns is roads melting. Again, going out at 8:30, I saw just a glossy sheen on some of the roads, no actual melting yet. In the past I've had tyres sink 1/2 inch into the tarmac, making cycling all but impossible. Indeed I remember one road which was so molten, one might have been forgiven for expecting a sabre-tooth tiger to stick its ugly head out of the morass!

And - no surprises here! - the trains all up the spout. Buckling rails, or risk of buckling rails, many trains cancelled or delayed, dire warnings on the Netwk Rail website....

So, for my weekly assignment in Lewes, I think it'll have to be the car. Will cost me more than the train would, by the time I factor in parking costs. Can't be helped.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I was out running in the heat yesterday - it was hot.

Today is my sons wedding, suit & tie.
Not ideal...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mercalia wrote:
francovendee wrote:With temperatures reaching close to 40 c, I go out for a ride early and get back by 9-30 am. By the afternoon all the shutters are closed and the rest of the day is spent inside. Very glad I have a stone house.

what is it like out side when it is 40C? I cant imagine that, 30-32 in the sun is bad enough but 40 in the shade and god knows in the sun must be quite bad

We avoid it, if we must go out it is in the car with the air con on.
Amazingly you still see builders, stripped to the waist, laying roof tiles in full sun.
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:Today is my sons wedding, suit & tie.
Not ideal...

Jacket on only for the photos, one would suggest. Stylishly over the shoulder otherwise. Maybe on at the start in a cool church if applicable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:Amazingly you still see builders, stripped to the waist, laying roof tiles in full sun.

It feels a bit cooler up there, especially with the breeze today. They still should be careful about the sun and drinking and eating enough, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:About the idea of going out early and getting back before it gets hot. Don't people find that limits ability to ventilate home/work in the cool morning weather so you're stuck with a hot space for the day? It seems to me that it might be better to go out just after the hottest part of the day, when indoors has warmed up as much as it will (only so long that you can keep it cool without being evil) and you might enjoy a cooling breeze, then return to throw open the windows in the cooling evening.

Answering myself: going out later is not going to work today here because of the thunderstorm warning. 25 degrees inside now (noon) and 33 outdoors. It's going to be a hot one!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was reading about getting a good nights sleep by keeping your feet out from under the duvet. keep you feet cool the message. So I thought, if I am sitting down why not your feet in a basin of cold water? anythings worth a try? seems to work

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49072212

Alternatively, cool socks in the fridge and put those on. Cooling your feet lowers the overall temperature of your skin and body

says the article
Last edited by mercalia on 25 Jul 2019, 12:21pm, edited 5 times in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:
kwackers wrote:Today is my sons wedding, suit & tie.
Not ideal...

Jacket on only for the photos, one would suggest.
Maybe a kilt's the thing. Plenty of ventilation, especially where it's needed....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gbnz wrote:
kwackers wrote:
(I have been out in -30 and that's shockingly cold)

Yeh, to be fair when I was a kid the school closed if it dropped below -27 (Nb. Canada). Apparently it was considered dangerous for 5-10 year olds to be walking to school below that temperature. Even the in the 70's Health & Safety seems to have gone mad :roll:.

In SIberia primary school children can stay inside at playtimes when it's below -40. Russians are tough though. Coldest I've been in is minus 67. If you're not careful your eyes start to freeze over.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker