Where are you going tomorrow?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Where are you going tomorrow?

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:Our car is going in for a service tomorrow down in Plympton (England), and I'll be putting the bike in the back of the car so I can go for a ride whilst they do their stuff.

Off into the South Hams, and then into Plymouth Barbican for lunch at Cap'n Jaspers before working my way back to Plympton. :D
http://www.capn-jaspers.co.uk

Where are you riding tomorrow?

Well I don't suppose anybody expected you'd put it on the ferry to Roscoff and have it serviced in France.
The Toyota dealer in Cornwall is too far away, so it's best to go over the border into England.

I'll be taking my passport. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How hard was it to get the visa? I bet the queues at the consulate were long!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Which bike are you on today Mick F?
Your Brompton or the vintage mercian?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote:How hard was it to get the visa? I bet the queues at the consulate were long!
Easy, so long as I promise to shut the gate on my way across. They only allow on person at a time.
philvantwo wrote:Which bike are you on today Mick F?
Your Brompton or the vintage mercian?
Not a Brompton, but a Moulton.

I'll be on the Moulton for two reasons.
One, I have a good rear bag that fits nicely, and I'll be carrying a base layer and my Goretex as well as tools etc. Plus wallet and glasses and mobile phone. Weather forecast isn't for bright hot sunshine, so I need to be prepared.

Two, it fits in the back of the car easily as the overall length is nearly a foot shorter. Same wheelbase, but as it has small wheels, the overall length is less of course.
However, it is quite a bit heavier than Mercian, so is a bit of a lift to get it in. I could split the bike into the two halves to make it easier, but I usually don't bother.
Mick F. Cornwall
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Yvonned wrote:24=mile ride to Mudeford from Southampton, late lunch at the Noisy Lobster on front. Stay overnight in a great guest house we know then back home Saturday. Hubby with cancer can only manage 25-30 miles at a time but he’s doing great. YD

Nice ride for you. I’m from the area Mudeford but have moved away for a while due to my health.
Enjoy
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

No news from Mick F!!
Maybe border control have discovered he's not a proper cornishman and told him to 'do one'!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Errrm...isn't Plympton in Devon?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote:Errrm...isn't Plympton in Devon?

Al

Yes Mick did say it was in England
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

Hi leftpoole.

Yes lovely ride......and we have friends in Thornbury too! Lovely place
rjb

Post by rjb »

Paulatic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Errrm...isn't Plympton in Devon?

Al

Yes Mick did say it was in England

Perhaps he's been press ganged in the "Sir Joshua Reynolds"
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

philvantwo wrote:No news from Mick F!!
Maybe border control have discovered he's not a proper cornishman and told him to 'do one'!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My theory: the vehicle could not be fixed with the tools on board, he is on the way to Japan :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I'm back! :D
I shut the gate behind me.

A friend of ours is Cornish through and through, and she is a teacher in Wales.
She was on FaceBook the other day .................

Goodbye Cymru, hello England, see you soon Kernow.
Someone replied suggesting it should be "See you dreckly, Kernow!"

(Dreckly is like mañana, but not as urgent.)
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
This was my route.
Plympton Ride.jpg

First out to Yealmpton, then to see the house we used to live in in Plymstock - married quarter. Empty at present.
Found this photo the other day of Daughter2 (right) and friend, both not quite three years old - June 1982 - and Sally our first border collie - nine years old.
As the house was empty, I leant Moulton up against the porch and took a photo. They've modernised the windows and doors now, but the place looks very much like it did back in the early 1980s when we lived there.
Girls and Sally.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg

From there, I went to Plymouth Barbican and Cap'n Jasper's for a wonderful cheese burger and onions washed down with a mug of tea. :D
Then cycled round past Plymouth Hoe and made my way back to Plympton to fork out £275 for a service, MOT, and fixing the aircon.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Having escaped from hospital today, minus kidney stone, so tomorrow I rest.
Then I'll get stuck into fitting the Barfang motor to one of my trikes. One get better instructions on a packet of "T"-Bags :twisted: . TTFN MM
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:PS:
This was my route.
$matches[2]
First out to Yealmpton, then to see the house we used to live in in Plymstock - married quarter. Empty at present.
Found this photo the other day of Daughter2 (right) and friend, both not quite three years old - June 1982 - and Sally our first border collie - nine years old.
As the house was empty, I leant Moulton up against the porch and took a photo. They've modernised the windows and doors now, but the place looks very much like it did back in the early 1980s when we lived there.$matches[2]IMG_0334.jpg
From there, I went to Plymouth Barbican and Cap'n Jasper's for a wonderful cheese burger and onions washed down with a mug of tea. :D
Then cycled round past Plymouth Hoe and made my way back to Plympton to fork out £275 for a service, MOT, and fixing the aircon.

Looks like you rode past the house where i lived for my first 18 years, Grenville road. :D
I will never forget the old laira bridge, i used to get vertigo when i crossed it due to the big gaps in the barrier on the pavement. Heres a pic showing the start of the new one in 1961 when i would have been 10 years old.

and heres the horrible monstrosity which replaced it. :(

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D