Recreational drugs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

Re: Recreational drugs

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
You'll never eliminate drug use until you understand why drugs are needed as part of people's lives,particularly in the younger generations.

I know 2 couples ... nice houses, Mercs and BMW's, ... full time employment in white collar occupations ... no furniture in the houses .. all a facade .. all they do supports their 20 year class A drug habits .... ... their in their 40's ..... get away from the "Younger generation" stuff .... Please ... You have friends who are class A drug users .... :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
You'll never eliminate drug use until you understand why drugs are needed as part of people's lives,particularly in the younger generations.

I know 2 couples ... nice houses, Mercs and BMW's, ... full time employment in white collar occupations ... no furniture in the houses .. all a facade .. all they do supports their 20 year class A drug habits .... ... their in their 40's ..... get away from the "Younger generation" stuff .... Please ... You have friends who are class A drug users .... :(

No I don't have friends who are class a addicts but I've known a few.
The point being made is that if you can't eliminate it's use better to control it's quality and help those want it.
The last 50 years has done nothing to reduce the use,in fact it's getting worse along with the crime attached to it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:

Sorry, your missing the point ... you do .... but you don't know it .... addicts take class A drugs not to get high ... just to be normal ... to appear normal .. to act normal .... what ever normal is in their peer group ..
Be more Mike.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Like Michael Gove or Piffle?
There are "high functioning" professional people addicted to drugs who have furniture.

Confession time. I have taken, once or twice, three class A drugs, and I enjoyed them, but the only drug I have had difficulty giving up is tobacco.

It is when young that people are most likely to try drugs. In my day a student who refused cannabis would be thought rather boring. I doubt things have changed much.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Sorry, your missing the point ... you do .... but you don't know it .... addicts take class A drugs not to get high ... just to be normal ... to appear normal .. to act normal .... what ever normal is in their peer group ..

And they buy their drug of choice from dealers who couldn't give a monkey's whether they live or die,it needn't be like that,along with kids as young as 10 running their drugs for them,it needn't be like that.
Then there's the thieving,fighting,murdering and drugs wars over markets,attached to the trade in drugs,it needn't be like that.
And the NHS being overwhelmed as it is,having to treat addicts using dirty needles,and heroin mixed with all kinds of crap to make it go further for more profit for dealers,it needn't be like that.

The war on drugs is lost anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded,the dealers have won,taking it out of their hands and regulating it can only be a step forward for users.
In a regulated and legalised system if people want to use they at least can buy a standardised and clean product,with clean free syringes and needles and could seek help within such a system for their addiction if they want it.

As things stand it's a mess with the gangest drug dealers the only winners and everyone else the losers.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:In a regulated and legalised system if people want to use they at least can buy a standardised and clean product,with clean free syringes and needles and could seek help within such a system for their addiction if they want it.

As things stand it's a mess with the gangest drug dealers the only winners and everyone else the losers.

Clean free syringes and needles are available and the service used at most GP's and Pharmacies, there is a massive support system in England, the CGL clinics and their like are everywhere, its well used, over used .... and near you ..your GP's and your pharmacy have a needle exchange. The skinny guy and girl that go with the pharmacist into the consulting room at your pharmacy are their to get their daily pick up of Methadone ..but you won't see it in your cul-de-sac world ...
By the way ...The majority of heroin users don't inject, don't use needles, they inhale the fumes from burning it on tinfoil ...... ... big difference between diggers and smokers .... well so i'm told .... :(
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:In a regulated and legalised system if people want to use they at least can buy a standardised and clean product,with clean free syringes and needles and could seek help within such a system for their addiction if they want it.

Clean free syringes and needles are available and the service used at most GP's and Pharmacies, there is a massive support system in England, the CGL clinics and their like are everywhere, its well used, over used .... and near you ..your GP's and your pharmacy have a needle exchange. The skinny guy and girl that go with the pharmacist into the consulting room at your pharmacy are their to get their daily pick up of Methadone ..but you won't see it in your cul-de-sac world ...
By the way ...The majority of heroin users don't inject, don't use needles, they inhale the fumes from burning it on tinfoil ...... ... big difference between diggers and smokers .... well so i'm told .... :(

Stop trying to pigeonhole me into Mr semidetached Mr Jones,I'm not.
I'm aware of the system though perhaps not as conversant with it as yourself,but clean needles and methadone,I doesn't work tackling the crime and gangster environment surrounding the use of not just heroin but the many other drugs on sale.

EDIT what do you propose doing with the growing problem?
W H Auden
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I have to agree.
I have friends who “do a couple of lines” before going out at the weekend and they’re my age.It’s also surprising how many Acid house/Rave fans of the 80/90s still drop Ecstasy and Speed despite appearing to be average couples with 2-4children,good jobs,nice house and cars etc.
I suspect they don’t restrict this to weekends.
Last edited by 100%JR on 2 Aug 2019, 9:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The biggest addiction problem in the USA is not recreational drug use.
It is synthetic opioids, trade names like Fentanyl and Oxycontin, pushed by Big Pharma and prescribed by doctors as painkillers.
Our government has put warning labels on these drugs, but their use is increasing here too.
Addicts get driven into accessing illicit sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/nov/08/the-making-of-an-opioid-epidemic
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:I'm inclined, albeit reluctantly, to agree about decriminalising.

I say "reluctantly" because in my student days, I once saw what result over-use of cannabis had on another student. In effect he progressively turned into a "zombie" and had to be hospitalised. I know this may be an exceptional case, but it has biased me against recreational drugs ever since.

Maybe not so exceptional as I saw similar when doing student summer job (which included accommodation overseas), but everybody was consuming quite large quantities so maybe the surprise is that there were not more issues. That said, I am generally in favour of legalising at least the dope/weed class. I accept there are dangers for some and/or through excessive consumption but the same could be said of alcohol (though I have not compared statistics and have no idea if any useful stats are even available).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

skyhawk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Given that gangsters are running a very lucrative business with all the downsides that entails,should the UK be thinking about legalising(not decriminalising which a different thing altogether)recreation drug use,so they can be regulated and taxed therbye disarming(literally) the drug dealers?

There are enough problems now dealing with drink drivers and the existing DRUG drivers how do you plan on legalising drugs on one hand and making them illegal to drive when used and who supports families devastated by killers behind the wheel on drugs

My personal opinion is that drivers under the influence is more about the personality/morality of the individual rather than the availability of different compounds.

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
Stop trying to pigeonhole me into Mr semidetached Mr Jones,I'm not.
I'm aware of the system though perhaps not as conversant with it as yourself,but clean needles and methadone,I doesn't work tackling the crime and gangster environment surrounding the use of not just heroin but the many other drugs on sale.

EDIT what do you propose doing with the growing problem?

I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO DO !!
If i did would I have kept it secret and seen my family go through 20 years of hell !!! :twisted:

Yet again we are back to the reality check, so many people just want to put their heads down and walk by ... but the next time you bike is stolen or shed broken into I suggest you wait 3-4 days and take a walk to your local Cash Converters .... :roll:
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO DO !!
If i did would I have kept it secret and seen my family go through 20 years of hell !!! :twisted:

Please dont think for one moment I don't sympathise with your situation I do,I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Yet again we are back to the reality check, so many people just want to put their heads down and walk by ... but the next time you bike is stolen or shed broken into I suggest you wait 3-4 days and take a walk to your local Cash Converters .... :roll:

Isn't that what I'm SAYING!!!!!!!
The problem is growing and illegality makes the problem worse!
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

This subject rears its head again.... We could decriminalise or legalise drug use but it could lead to greater use and therefore shorter life expectancies and the costs in having to treat such.

And recreational drugs do have the capacity to alter people's brain chemistry at a stroke. My wife works in this field and is against legalisation - why? Because she has treated 18 year old boys who after one experience of cannabis or ecstasy have suffered a psychotic episode from which they never fully recover - their mental health is permanently affected. If such drugs were legalised now, with the government knowing that, what level of responsibility do they have?

There are people on here who have (probably largely rightly) berated the government or the council about building materials in Grenfell Tower. If the government legalises something which means, eventually, 20,000 people a year suffer either mental or physical health problems and die prematurely how is that different?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

+1 Ben ...
Be more Mike.