Signs of old age

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cotterpins

Re: Signs of old age

Post by cotterpins »

Still cycling at 85, but, only on the machine in the garage. Keeps "erindoors" happy, not too happy about it myself, but gets me a bit of exercise.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

So, you're now 'im-indoors. :lol:
hondated

Post by hondated »

:lol:
bigjim wrote:Being on this forum. :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Climate concience...willing to give up flying, worried about eating meat, keen on solar panels and electric cars. :) Hates Top Gear and F1

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

A couple of months back I was only 72 but since the cardiologist inflicted beta-blockers on me at the end of May I've aged at least 10 years.

In the process of "protecting" your life they destroy all the pleasure in it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

cooper_coleraine wrote:I'm 81 and cycle everyday. When younger I was competitive. Today I was passed by a youth on a rattling mountain bike. Wait for it! He was smoking a cigarette. I put on a little speed but he went away from me. Hard to come to terms with ageing!

You're as young as who you're thrusting with!

When living in NW England I went out with the older lads from the local racing club, often including a younger element of 40-50 year olds besides we truly olde pharts of 60-odd to 80. The 80 year old is by no means the slowest in such outings and can see-orf not just the likes of me, a mere 70 year-old and still quite fit, but also some of the much younger element. No doubt this is due to his riding a bike hundreds of miles every month since he was 3 (or thereabouts ... perhaps it was 13).

80 - still thrusting-1.jpg

He's dropped me more than once, especially on the longer runs of 60 miles or more, when he still has go at the end and I divnae. And he does it, these days, with an artificial hip, got after another cyclist knocked him off in Spain where he winters.

Here, then, is an example to us all, including fag-sucking yoofs on MTBs, who he will sail past with a smile, especially if he's had a paracetamol for the hip ache that morning. :-)

Cugel, happy in Wales but missing club riding.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Here's another one.

I met this old lad at the top of The Trough of Bowland, returning home on a 60 miler from Clitheroe around and through The Bowland Fells. He told me he was 80-summick (can't remember exactly what the summick was) and often did such jaunts. He'd come up and over Jubilee Tower before The Trough and was planning to also go back over Waddy Fell. These are not insignificant climbs!

80 - still thrusting-1-2.jpg

Another one that'd done decades in a racing club; but still touring as well as doing his solo day-jaunts. Inspiring really.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm getting a bit wary of hard exercise and old age these days. More so when I read about Luciano Berruti. he is a bit of a hero/legend in the L'eroica circles. Tremendously lean, fit and active. Riding a very old bike in rough terrain. He died of a heart attack last year while out on the bike. He was 73! Not old by modern or my standards.
Up to last year I regularly did 85 to 110 mile club runs. It always took me a few days to feel good again. So I was losing a couple of active days every week. I've dropped them now and not done any distance stuff for a while. A lot of that due to family demands. But I feel much healthier, more energy and I can get out every day for the gym, or a run or a ride.
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

Thanks for all your responses and the sense of mutual encouragement.
Cheers
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I fancy having a crack at the record for the oldest to ride the end to end. The drawback is I'll have to wait another 17 years :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Being absolutely knackered after digging in the garden for an hour......
when I used to be able to do it all day. :(
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

cotterpins wrote:Still cycling at 85, but, only on the machine in the garage. Keeps "erindoors" happy, not too happy about it myself, but gets me a bit of exercise.

I used to see Sir Hubert Opperman on one of our local bike paths then Lady O indoors got him onto the bike in the garage where afaicr he had his final heart attack.

Mike
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Mike_Ayling wrote:
cotterpins wrote:Still cycling at 85, but, only on the machine in the garage. Keeps "erindoors" happy, not too happy about it myself, but gets me a bit of exercise.

I used to see Sir Hubert Opperman on one of our local bike paths then Lady O indoors got him onto the bike in the garage where afaicr he had his final heart attack.

Mike

I'll bet he'd rather have ended his days on the cycle path. :)
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

Audax67 wrote:A couple of months back I was only 72 but since the cardiologist inflicted beta-blockers on me at the end of May I've aged at least 10 years.

In the process of "protecting" your life they destroy all the pleasure in it.

I've been on a handful of medications since I was 64, Olmesartan, Bisoprolol, Metformin, Aspirin, Pravastatin for 21 years, and it don't seem a day too long, but, when we moved to this house situated on a main road that's when she suggested that the roads were not ideal in the last couple of years. So it's indoor/garage riding now . . . the suggestion that washing-up, and decorating would help to keep fit somehow fell on deaf ears . . . hence the hearing aids! It was all the cyclists riding passed using the pavements that didn't help my case!

Having a "rattling good day" is about the size of it.