Page 8 of 8

Re: E cars and the change to the urban landscape

Posted: 7 Aug 2019, 8:55am
by 661-Pete
brynpoeth wrote:*are you sponsor€d...
In a few weeks' time, you won't be allowed to use the word "sponsor€d" anymore. It'll have to be "$pon$ored". Or maybe even "$pon$oяed".... :lol:

Re: E cars and the change to the urban landscape

Posted: 7 Aug 2019, 9:15am
by kwackers
brynpoeth wrote:*are you sponsor€d, like someone else on these fora who is so enthusiastic about w*****s pubs seems to be?
(irony alert :wink:)

Why do I need to be sponsored?

I'm enthusiastic in that I'd rather people be driving EV's than IC's - that's about the sum of it.
EV's are a step in the right direction, nothing more, nothing less.
Most of my posts are about addressing the usual 'old' myths that perpetuate about them.

I'm also enthusiastic about closing town and city centres to traffic. Also anything that removes the need to own a car or removes the ability of the driver to compromise the safety of the vehicle and those around it.

And making stuff - I love making stuff.

Re: E cars and the change to the urban landscape

Posted: 7 Aug 2019, 9:52am
by pwa
kwackers wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:*are you sponsor€d, like someone else on these fora who is so enthusiastic about w*****s pubs seems to be?
(irony alert :wink:)

Why do I need to be sponsored?

I'm enthusiastic in that I'd rather people be driving EV's than IC's - that's about the sum of it.
EV's are a step in the right direction, nothing more, nothing less.
Most of my posts are about addressing the usual 'old' myths that perpetuate about them.

I'm also enthusiastic about closing town and city centres to traffic. Also anything that removes the need to own a car or removes the ability of the driver to compromise the safety of the vehicle and those around it.

And making stuff - I love making stuff.


I respect your enthusiasm. And the process of closing town and city centres to traffic began in the 1960s and has been creeping along ever since, so it should not be all that controversial as a concept. We called it pedestrianisation. My home town of Bolton was one of the first town centres (I think Coventry was another) to take motor vehicles off the busiest shopping street some time in the 60s. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any big town that does not have some pedestrianised streets in the centre. So a precedent is established. What you desire is expansion of the "traffic-free" zones, presumably allowing access for deliveries outside busy periods.

Re: E cars and the change to the urban landscape

Posted: 7 Aug 2019, 10:04am
by kwackers
pwa wrote:What you desire is expansion of the "traffic-free" zones, presumably allowing access for deliveries outside busy periods.

Indeed.
I'd like to see entire centres closed to traffic rather than a few pedestrianised streets which seems to be the way at the moment.
I guess what I want to see is traffic moved away from people, I want to see people feeling safe walking and cycling around their environments. Parks, gardens etc. Stuff we'd probably once have expected of the future but which now have been relegated to some form of 'lefty utopia' by those with the desire to cram more of us into smaller and smaller spaces whilst they live in their Mc Mansions with manicured gardens.

Re: E cars and the change to the urban landscape

Posted: 7 Aug 2019, 10:18am
by pwa
kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:What you desire is expansion of the "traffic-free" zones, presumably allowing access for deliveries outside busy periods.

Indeed.
I'd like to see entire centres closed to traffic rather than a few pedestrianised streets which seems to be the way at the moment.
I guess what I want to see is traffic moved away from people, I want to see people feeling safe walking and cycling around their environments. Parks, gardens etc. Stuff we'd probably once have expected of the future but which now have been relegated to some form of 'lefty utopia' by those with the desire to cram more of us into smaller and smaller spaces whilst they live in their Mc Mansions with manicured gardens.

I agree that keeping heavy traffic away from people who are not in motor vehicles is something worth aiming for. How best to achieve that will vary from one place to the next. It will be less difficult for example where there is already an inner ring road of some sort. It will be more problematic where "through traffic" is fed in to the centre due to the historic layout of major roads. So it must be a case by case thing. But yes, every time I go somewhere I haven't been for a while and see the pedestrianised area has grown, I smile.