Earworm

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Earworm

Post by reohn2 »

A good earworm is the riff in this great song:- https://youtu.be/l6qe9I0d5KA-
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Latest earworm for me is a lovely gentle song.

Rainbow Connection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Connection

This version is superb and the young Debbie Harry is excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Hd3uWKFKY
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

At the moment its Johny Cash's Hurt...cant say why.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Aha - a thread bump!
DaveReading wrote: 5 Aug 2019, 9:36am
661-Pete wrote:The most annoying 'earworms', to my mind, are those tunes ringing through your head which you can't place. I've had one, on and off, for months now. Unlike verbal phrases or quotations, which you can always google, there are few online facilities for identifying snippets of music - and those I've tried don't work...

Anyone else so troubled?
Can you sing? Or even just hum it?

If so, record a clip and upload it here, and we'll do our best!
I did finally pin down that earworm. It was Marlene Dietrich's popular song from the 1930s: The Boys in the Back Room. For some reason I'd been for a long time persuaded that it was the sig. tune to a TV sitcom - but I was wrong.

Incidentally, that monotonic clip which I put in another post above, is the theme from Schumann's 'Spring' Symphony no. 1 in B flat. Perhaps the wrong time of year to mention this.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

661-Pete wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 6:21pm Incidentally, that monotonic clip which I put in another post above, is the theme from Schumann's 'Spring' Symphony no. 1 in B flat. Perhaps the wrong time of year to mention this.....
I recognised it as Schumann but didn't know which one - I've played all 4 symphonies plus some of his other works in amateur orchestras over the years. Just got home tonight from rehearsing Tchaikovsky 5 - great fun but I need to do some more practice! :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

LollyKat wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 10:53pm I recognised it as Schumann but didn't know which one - I've played all 4 symphonies plus some of his other works in amateur orchestras over the years. Just got home tonight from rehearsing Tchaikovsky 5 - great fun but I need to do some more practice! :D
Tchaikovsky 5 - quite a challenge, I reckon. Good luck! What instrument do you play, btw?
Tchaik 5 snippet.jpg
I tried feeding its main theme into Musipedia (in the correct key this time), with the result: "no matches found". I reckon there must be far better music search engines around than Musipedia. Can you, or anyone, recommend one?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Tchaik 5 is indeed a challenge - I play violin 1 and we play more notes than anyone else, frequently at breakneck speed. On the other hand the brass covers quite a lot and there is a certain safety in numbers :lol:. Do you also play?

I've seen Shazam recommended as a search engine but I have never tried it, I'm afraid.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

LollyKat wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 10:53pm I recognised it as Schumann but didn't know which one - I've played all 4 symphonies plus some of his other works in amateur orchestras over the years. Just got home tonight from rehearsing Tchaikovsky 5 - great fun but I need to do some more practice! :D
If I have an earworm, it's often one of the pieces I'm practicing for the next concert of my symphony orchestra. We're working on Franck's Symphony in D Minor at the moment, which I've never played before. It has some lovely cello bits & I think it's underrated as a piece of music.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Current earworm is Richard Thompson's solo version of Crazy man Micheal
I find it quite prophetic if you think of Micheal as humanity and the Raven as the Earth:- https://youtu.be/H9veqWYynww
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sorry in advance

https://youtu.be/Wtk-ZmYlxPA

Or my favorite version

https://youtu.be/p7EPEauECek

This earworm is reoccurs often.
I am here. Where are you?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

LollyKat wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 10:50amDo you also play?
Nothing orchestral, I'm afraid, but I've been playing the piano (badly) for decades, but alas! somewhat lapsed in recent years. My hearing is not as good as it used to be. :(
rjb

Post by rjb »

LollyKat wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 10:50am Tchaik 5 is indeed a challenge - I play violin 1 and we play more notes than anyone else, frequently at breakneck speed. On the other hand the brass covers quite a lot and there is a certain safety in numbers :lol:. Do you also play?

Yep another fiddle player here, not up to your standard. Probably 3rd violins where i can keep my head down :lol: Play in a small village orchestra, just getting back together again. Youngest daughter is a proper fiddle player with the Bournemouth Symphony Orch. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

This is surely the worst earworm EVER - don't click on the link if you value your sanity (it's ok, though - you'll have about 20 seconds to change your mind before the song starts)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8QEWA8wGM

Unfortunately I went past the 20 second mark so that's me done for the rest of the day. :(

In case that gives the impression that I'm some kind of creep who watches children's videos, I'm not - I'd never have heard of the song (and I wish I hadn't!) if it wasn't in the news a year or so ago, IIRC, because it was such an earworm (to put it politely!).

Still, altogether, now... :lol: