"13 Minutes To The Moon" - Podcast.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
comfortablynumb

"13 Minutes To The Moon" - Podcast.

Post by comfortablynumb »

I've been listening to the above podcast, I reckon it's really worth checking out. It's was originally on the BBC World Service apparently, but a search online will find it easily enough. It's all about the Apollo missions to land on the moon fifty years ago told by the people who took part.
Typical BBC to hide it away whilst everytime you turn on the telly you are bombarded by promotion of depressing old Eastenders or ads for some "Celebrity Dancing Bakers" tripe.
Enjoy, Steve.
mattheus

Re: "13 Minutes To The Moon" - Podcast.

Post by mattheus »

... and something from (good 'ole) Radio4:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006zkr

The Infinite Moonkey Cage

A special hour long episode of the hugely popular science/comedy show, celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo moon landings. Recorded at Cocoa Beach, Florida just down the road from Cape Canaveral, Brian Cox and Robin Ince are joined by some of the key players involved in landing the first people on the moon, on this day, 1969. Apollo 9 Astronaut Rusty Schweickart, Apollo flight director Gerry Griffin and Apollo children Jan and Andy Aldrin give their perspectives on arguably one of the greatest scientific and engineering achievements of all time. Keep listening for a very special guest appearance by Duran Duran's Nick Rhodes.

Presenters: Brian Cox and Robin Ince
Producer Alexandra Feachem
rjb

Post by rjb »

comfortablynumb wrote:I've been listening to the above podcast, I reckon it's really worth checking out. It's was originally on the BBC World Service apparently, but a search online will find it easily enough. It's all about the Apollo missions to land on the moon fifty years ago told by the people who took part.
Typical BBC to hide it away whilst everytime you turn on the telly you are bombarded by promotion of depressing old Eastenders or ads for some "Celebrity Dancing Bakers" tripe.
Enjoy, Steve.

+1 I've found these a real insight into how it was achieved. Nothing like the glossed over event that was shown for our consumption at the time. Until I heard these podcasts I never imagined what a touch and go event Armstrong's landing really was. To be fair Aunty had been promoting these podcasts on various platforms which is how they came to my attention. Only downside is that when I put them on my Mp3 Music player they do not play in order. No amount of manipulation of the files has overcome this.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There's a distinct possibility that when humans next set foot on the Moon, they'll find a reception party waiting to greet them:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ng-on-moon
...and they won't even be genuine Moon-creatures - only Earthlings that have been dumped there by mistake.
Looks scary, but don't worry, these little critters are less than 1mm long.

Question: how long will it take these tardigrades, living undisturbed on the Moon, to evolve into something sentient?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).