Cutting the grass

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Cutting the grass

Post by pwa »

fausto copy wrote:Aren't all that painful?????

The ones I've had (and why are they always in three's!) are damn painful indeed.
The pain from my last lot t'other week lasted a good three days and were uncomfortable for a few more.
Maybe these Welsh ones are more venomous. :evil:

Mine were in Tondu, a predominantly English speaking area. Maybe yours are rough and tough Welsh speaking wasps.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've not cut the grass/weeds for 2 months. I only did it yesterday to make it a bit tidier, really didn't need cutting.
Blackberries will be a poor crop. Most berries have shrivelled up due to the drought and scorching sun.
Weeds seem to be able to grow in any type of weather :(
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote:I've not cut the grass/weeds for 2 months. I only did it yesterday to make it a bit tidier, really didn't need cutting.
Blackberries will be a poor crop. Most berries have shrivelled up due to the drought and scorching sun.

But what you call weeds (IMO simply flowers out of context) provide the natural habitat of our insects.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote:
francovendee wrote:I've not cut the grass/weeds for 2 months. I only did it yesterday to make it a bit tidier, really didn't need cutting.

But what you call weeds (IMO simply flowers out of context) provide the natural habitat of our insects.

You're correct and we don't use weed killers, it's difficult getting unwanted plants (weeds) out of the gravel. We have two long haired cats and are surrounded by un-cultivated land full of what we know as Sweetheart plants (the plant that has hundreds of seeds that stick to anything) and they come in covered in them. Whatever creature eats these seeds must be in short supply :(
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

fausto copy wrote:Perhaps it's you that really is the tough guy. :wink:

Wasps know not to mess with me, rather than sting they just give me a cheeky pinch.

I'd imagine different people respond in different ways to the toxin.
Compared to my motorcycle accident where the whole top half of my torso was bruised black with blood oozing through the skin a wasp sting is but a minor irritant.

Lots of rain last night, some today too I think my grass is racing for a cut...
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote:

There are a few species that are undesirable of course.
Oxford Ragwort spreads increasingly along uncut verges. It is an (old) alien but very toxic to stock.
I could list a few more that are a significant problem.

Diversity of native species is actually a bit more than just letting things run wild.
It is often a compromise.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:....

I'm unsure about the definition of "weeds" but to me and my use of the word, "weeds" means more invasive species, those "flowers out of context" are more those plants that are out of context and spread quickly, swamping other "in context" plants.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I certainly won't argue. I have a tiny garden (and a tiny house) and largely plants in containers plus shrubs and a small wild flower area.. The front is directly on to a large village green. The grass there is cut twice weekly in the summer months. As soon the clover appears it is decimated. Very sad.

But I won't be telling anyone how to manage their garden. I do constantly write to the council to ask them to set part of the green to one side to grow wild flowers. So far to no avail.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

A weed is just a plant where you don't want it. Simple as that. A teasel growing in the semi-wild area near our apple trees is a very welcome bit of nature. A teasel coming up between the paving slabs of the path near the garage would be a weed.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have a fair bit of grass. The bit behind the house tends to get fairly long before I cut it. Every time it gets done I collect ticks carried in by the red deer that infest the area. The cuttings mostly get spread around the vegetables as a mulch which helps to keep the weeds down and certainly does not harm the veg. which seem to thrive on this treatment. By winter this grass has all vanished and any left simply gets rotovated into the soil. Been doing this for a few years now and is an easy way of disposing of the grass cuttings.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I tried using grass clippings as a mulch one year but found that the slugs were more prevalent, hiding in it more.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Grass is handy for compost, mix it with all the twigs and wood from the trees.
Doesn't half get hot and speed up the composting.

Also handy to mix in anything that normally requires an industrial composter, fresh cuttings get hot enough to bake bread (possibly), they certainly make short work of hard to compost stuff.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our mower is a Stiga Multiclip. It mulches as it mows.
Excellent machine and if it broke, I'd buy another.

https://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/rota ... 48S15.aspx
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Crikes the price :shock:
Oh it's got small wheels :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lawn grass is a large part of our compost. Maybe half. It composts well if you layer it with other stuff. We generate lots of veg peelings from the kitchen, together with other garden foliage, and the resulting compost has transformed the previously clay soil of our garden since we took it over about twenty years ago. I put a lot of compost on the rhubarb patch last winter and this year's crop has been spectacular.

The only garden waste we put out for the council collection service is woody prunings. Their composting will deal with that better than ours.