I bought this lightmeter when it first came out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: I bought this lightmeter when it first came out

Post by mercalia »

bikepacker wrote:
bigjim wrote:I rarely take pictures these days. Even on tour or holidays. We are bombarded by pictures now, I think we have lost something somewhere, but I don't know what it is. Phone cameras are brilliant and I sometimes wish we had digital in my day but when I see wedding photogs churn out 500 pics and are in peoples faces all day, I wouldn't want to work like that. Technically the quality they turn out is brilliant but there, IMO, doesn't seem to be the soul, romance or feeling, captured that I used to produce.
But I'm old so what do I know? :)

+1 I rarely take pictures even on tour, in fact when I finally sold our last studio I did not even pick up a camera for seven years. Most I have taken since have been at the request of my wife, I think she wants proof of where I have been. :D

How would some of the modern day photographers manage if the had to take a wedding with 3 rolls of 120 and make every exposure count? Or like my first teacher take 24 pictures on 12 DD slides then proof them back to the reception.

well thats why in the past they were dull routine shots?
RickH

Post by RickH »

bikepacker wrote:How would some of the modern day photographers manage if the had to take a wedding with 3 rolls of 120 and make every exposure count? Or like my first teacher take 24 pictures on 12 DD slides then proof them back to the reception.

When I first did wedding photos I did indeed use 3 roll of 120 (unless it was a "cheapy" with only 2 rolls).

I don't do many now & last wedding I did, with Mrs H as roaming assistant, we edited thing down to 600+ digital images! I don't bother with albums these days just give folk a USB drive with all the images that make the grade to do what they want with. :D

BTW I noticed recently that my favourite digital memory supplier MyMemory does Ilford film in both 35mm & 120.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I used to make more money out of reprint orders than I did of the wedding package. It really focused your mind on getting the Ahh..... factor out of a shot. Also couples or their parents would often order a huge 30"x20" framed print for the wall. Remember them? Often canvas. Doesn't happen any more. Out of fashion.
I couldn't face sorting out 600 shots on a computer. Film dropped off at the lab Monday morning. See you Friday. That was the life. :)
millimole

Post by millimole »

These comments mirror what a lot of people in the analogue photography world are saying.
Certainly the non-proffesional digital photographer will 'spray & pray' whereas film makes you ensure that every shot counts. (Or in my case, you attempt to try to make it count!).
With film there's less tendency to snap selfies, random cat pictures, and plates of food!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, I did a wedding about 25 years back, good film stock back then.
But it was at a small church in Germansweek, Devon? Very small area with lots of gravestones.
To get the full group shot I had to climb up to the church tower top, with a whistle. Lots of yelling to get everyone in front of the stones, then a shrill blast instead of "Cheese". Really great shot. I wonder if others have weirder shots? TTFN MM