I bought this lightmeter when it first came out

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
skyhawk

I bought this lightmeter when it first came out

Post by skyhawk »

I bought this new, yes when it first came out and STILL use it today

I use it when using a 10 stopper for landscape photography, saves constantly removing and attaching the filter to meter.

I use both incident and reflective metering depending on what I am imaging, I bet there are photographers today who don't even know what it is

I bought it from the Camera shop in Aldershot in 1973, I could not afford it all at once and paid 10s a week that is 10 shillings, last year I bought a mint Euromaster 2

wm.jpg
Last edited by Graham on 9 Aug 2019, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Mike Sales

Re: I bought this new, yes when it first came out

Post by Mike Sales »

I still have a Russian one that I bought with a Lubitel 2 twin lens reflex.
The roll film was unobtainable some time ago!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Well, I lusted after one of those for years but never could afford one.
I think they cost almost as much as the second-hand Zorki 4 I bought in the early 70's.

I did see one on flea-bay last year but it was rather battered and I don't think I'll be needing one nowadays.
Glad to see you're still using yours and put to good us with your Big Stopper :wink:

I have though, just treated myself to a replacement Zorki 4, complete with original silver Jupiter lens, leather case and instruction book. All for £55. :)

fausto.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:I still have a Russian one that I bought with a Lubitel 2 twin lens reflex.
The roll film was unobtainable some time ago!

120 roll film still in production and available at Jessops https://www.jessops.com/p/ilford/fp4-pl ... roll-19454
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ambodach

Re: I bought this lightmeter when it first came out

Post by ambodach »

I still have my Weston meter but have not used it for years. Would sell it if I could be bothered. I have got lazy and let the camera do all the work.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
120 roll film still in production and available at Jessops https://www.jessops.com/p/ilford/fp4-pl ... roll-19454

Ta. I couldn't find any some years ago. I might give it a go.
A long time I worked in a local newspaper darkroom, so I have some skills remaining but I have none of the equipment left myself.

Is it possible to get such film developed and printed these days?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fausto copy wrote:Well, I lusted after one of those for years but never could afford one.
I think they cost almost as much as the second-hand Zorki 4 I bought in the early 70's.

I did see one on flea-bay last year but it was rather battered and I don't think I'll be needing one nowadays.
Glad to see you're still using yours and put to good us with your Big Stopper :wink:

I have though, just treated myself to a replacement Zorki 4, complete with original silver Jupiter lens, leather case and instruction book. All for £55. :)

fausto.

ah Zorki 4 wasnt that a Ruski knock off Leica rangfinder camera? The Ruskis used to have a shop in London in High Holborn London. I bought the corresponding SLR A Zenith or some thing,I used to think would be useful as a club as so solid, though I eventually moved up to the Olympus OM2 system. Good days when Pentax and Kodak had their own gallerys there abouts.

Just did an Ebay and there are afew for sale -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zorki-4K-wit ... SwTy1dTW3h

This one seems mint, but who uses 35mm film now?

Could be useful just as a poser :lol: against all those with their smartphones.
Maybe some here has the expertise to turn it into an electronic camera?

Looks very nice though and cheaper than yours

The camera I always wanted but could never afford was the Mamiya M645 ....

Goodness I havent thought about these mechanical cameras in such a long time,

A minutes silence for a passing era? :cry:

it seems such a long time ago now, the camera in my Windows Phone , just an 8mp gives fine images with no effort, no mess and no intoxication of chemicals :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Clunk click every trip'
I did like the feel of an SLR :wink:

Does the stuff we learnt back then about exposure and composition still apply now?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

A long time I worked in a local newspaper darkroom, so I have some skills remaining but I have none of the equipment left myself.

The Free Press and Guardian? I think photo express still develop and print from film.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:'Clunk click every trip'
I did like the feel of an SLR :wink:

Does the stuff we learnt back then about exposure and composition still apply now?

A) I've currently got three main cameras on the go (it's just like having several bikes :roll: ) and my largest Lumix mirrorless camera looks a bit like a small SLR and the shutter gives a good solid thunk, though there is a silent option which occasions;;y comes in handy.

B0 Most certainly.
Most cameras these days have a fully automatic setting which I guess most people would use.
However, as an "enthusiast" I still plump for aperture control most of the time, selecting the best choice for depth of field etc.
There's plenty of choice regarding White Balance, Exposure Compensation, Focus Stacking, Drive Modes etc., making them as complicated one would want. The one setting that had me foxed for ages though, was Zebra Stripes. :?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Here's my Zorki.
Zorki 4.jpg

Yes, they were a Ruski rip-off of the classic Leica rangefinder camera and at probably a tenth of the price.
Now though, they're probably worth about a thousandth. :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:The Free Press and Guardian? I think photo express still develop and print from film.

Yes, the Lincolnshire Free Press and the Spalding Guardian.

The Lubitel is a Rolleiflex copy.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hasselblad have brought out a digital back which can be used on some of their older classic cameras instead of the film back.
Only around 5 grand if anyone fancies going dual purpose. :shock:
millimole

Post by millimole »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Yes.
I regularly use Lubitels (2 & 166).
120 film (as well as 135) can be developed by quite a lot of places - do a search for 'film processing'. Timsons and Boots also do services at some of their shops.
You can generally opt for a scanning service to either CD or a download, so that you get digital 'prints' - you don't have to have physical prints, and you can get them done - if you want them - from the negatives posted to you, or from the digital images
I use, and can recommend Snaps Photo Services in Bournemouth.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I was going through some old kit and came across my Pentax Film camera

Decided to buy a roll of film and take it out for a day

It was a total revelation

Whereas I am quite experimental with the(Pentax K70) after all if I take a thousand photos and one is worth keeping there is no cost, and simple errors can be fixed using the computer

I was being far more cautious with exposure, focus, framing etc with the film camera

I also found that there was some excitement in waiting for the film to be developed rather than simply looking at the screen straight away

Of the 3 photos, I kept 25 and the others had faults

My conclusion..

If you can, do take out a film camera, it reminds you of the skills that you used to "need" and makes you think just that little more when using the digital.