Free horse product in a bag.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bagpussctc

Free horse product in a bag.

Post by bagpussctc »

Whilst out in the Peak District, this made for a smile.
ImageHorse add by rebalrid, on Flickr
Last edited by Graham on 10 Aug 2019, 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Cyril Haearn

Re: Free in a bag.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In German this excellent compost is called 'Pfedeaepfeln', horse apples :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I could, if I wanted to, often get some for free, on the bridle path near our house - provided I bring along a wheelbarrow (preferable to a bag) and a spade. But I don't: I just let it lie for others to collect - if they so wish :roll: . After all we have plenty of garden compost.

Q: to whom does horse manure lying on a public path, actually belong? The owner of the horse? The owner of the land crossed by the path? The local authority? Or finders keepers?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In German this excellent compost is called 'Pfedeaepfeln', horse apples :wink:
Shouldn't that be Pferdeaepfeln (Pferdeäpfeln)? And my German is a lot worse than yours :lol: .
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It belongs to the horse of course :wink:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Acquaintances of ours stopped putting their horse manure out for free, as no-one ever returned the bags.
I do like the suggestion of paying by carrot and apple pay though. :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes, one donates carrots and apples, and collects them in another form a few weeks later
I cycle by a soup factory on the way to work, in the morning it gets deliveries of vegetables, during the day they are cooked, in the evening tins of soup go into the lejostic-chain :?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I collected some horse manure from a colleague earlier in the year. I took my own bags with. :lol: :lol:

It's helping my potatoes grow. :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Horses are very careful to choose good grass because they cannae be sick, there is a one-way valve preventing the contents of the stomach coming back up

What about manure from other animals, cows or dogs? My observations suggest that cow manure is quite different from horse manure, but cows eat mostly grass too, difference must be that they digest it twice :?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Horses are very careful to choose good grass because they cannae be sick, there is a one-way valve preventing the contents of the stomach coming back up

What about manure from other animals, cows or dogs? My observations suggest that cow manure is quite different from horse manure, but cows eat mostly grass too, difference must be that they digest it twice :?

Crew yard muck from cattle was the major source of fertiliser for the land before nitrates started being used a lot. A lot more of it came from bullocks than cows though.

Horse muck really needs composting to get the best results.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
fausto copy

Re: Free horse product in a bag.

Post by fausto copy »

We had a trailer load of well-rotted (at least three years) cow manure / straw mix last year and mulched most of the raised veg. beds with it. Can't say it was any improvement over stuff from my three garden compost bins, but it did bulk the soil up somewhat.

When I were a lad, there was a small pig farm that closed down (they built a church on it :? ) and my Grandad built a barrow from pram wheels, handle and several bits of timber.
It took us days to transport all the old manure and soil from the site, up the steep hill back to our garden.
I reckon we had the best flowers in town after that. :lol:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

661-Pete wrote:I could, if I wanted to, often get some for free, on the bridle path near our house - provided I bring along a wheelbarrow (preferable to a bag) and a spade. But I don't: I just let it lie for others to collect - if they so wish :roll: . After all we have plenty of garden compost.

Q: to whom does horse manure lying on a public path, actually belong? The owner of the horse? The owner of the land crossed by the path? The local authority? Or finders keepers?

Does everything have to have an owner?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If it's on a path why aren't horse owners made to pick up the poo as per dog owners ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Get it while it's hot :wink:

One should not decline something free, nor complain about it, or 'one shouldnae look a gift horse in the mouth'
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Cugel wrote: Does everything have to have an owner

English law presumes so, historically in order to keep the peace. Property with no owner was seen as a menace to the peace as it led to fights between those trying to gain de facto possession of it.