Free horse product in a bag.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jgurney

Re: Free in a bag.

Post by jgurney »

661-Pete wrote:Q: to whom does horse manure lying on a public path, actually belong? The owner of the horse? ... Or finders keepers?

In the case of dung deposited by a horse being ridden along the bridleway, initially to the owner of the horse. However if they deliberately ride away and leave it, the dung becomes abandoned property, which (unlike lost or misplaced property) becomes the property of the first person to collect it up.

In the case of dung deposited in a bridleway by a horse being kept loose in a field through which the bridleway passes, it would belong to the owner of the horse without their having to take any action to collect it to establish ownership.
fausto copy

Re: Free horse product in a bag.

Post by fausto copy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Get it while it's hot :wink:

One should not decline something free, nor complain about it, or 'one shouldnae look a gift horse in the mouth'

Or the backside, I guess. :roll:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

jgurney wrote:
Cugel wrote: Does everything have to have an owner

English law presumes so, historically in order to keep the peace. Property with no owner was seen as a menace to the peace as it led to fights between those trying to gain de facto possession of it.

Then who owns wild creatures?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:In German this excellent compost is called 'Pfedeaepfeln', horse apples :wink:
Shouldn't that be Pferdeaepfeln (Pferdeäpfeln)? And my German is a lot worse than yours :lol: .

Doubtless my French is much worse than yours :wink:
Just read a bit about apples, they grew in central Asia
Goods were transported by horses. The horses ate apples and dropped Pferdeaepfeln a few kilometres on, horse apple trees grew, later horses ate the apples, dropped a bit further on, so eventually apples reached 'Europe'
'every little helps', as a food store [not 'super' market please] used to say
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:Crew yard muck from cattle was the major source of fertiliser for the land before nitrates started being used a lot. A lot more of it came from bullocks than cows though.

Horse muck really needs composting to get the best results.

The colleague who gave me some of her horse manure just piles it up behind the barn. It has been composting in that manner for some years, but it did require a bit of digging to get to the best.

My other alternatives are composted cow manure, which I buy from a farm / garden centre, and compost from the council food waste collection.

I have my own compost pile, but it is too small to provide all of my needs for gardening. We also keep aquariums (tropical fish), and I water the garden with water from the aquariums, which is high in nitrates.

That said, it's been a poor year for my garden. My lettuces and cabbage family plants never came up, and several other things didn't come up at first planting, but did at second planting. They are, however, now quite late for the season. I'm blaming the weather. We had a cool period just after my first attempt at planting, and another after my second attempt.

My potatoes are the only things that are doing really well, though the sweet corn (maize) seems to be growing well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Good stable manure is a superior fertilizer than just dropped roadside dung.

This is because the urine is contained within it.
Urine in the form of urea is the big soluble nitrogen contributor (some potassion and bits too) - the most valuable bit.
Dung is the soil and humus builder with some other benefits.

Add some nice bedding to both, protect from excess rain, rot for twelve months.
Excellent stuff.

Straw can be a problem for organic gardeners in that it probably contains quite high pestcide residues. Nothing's simple!!
Though the price of straw has led some farmers here to turn to reeds or wood chip.
Both are excellent too and absorb urine well, but take somewhat longer to break down.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Good stable manure is a superior fertilizer than just dropped roadside dung.

Urine in the form of urea is the big soluble nitrogen contributor (some potassion and bits too) - the most valuable bit.

Excellent stuff.

Straw can be a problem for organic gardeners in that it probably contains quite high pestcide residues. Nothing's simple!!
Though the price of straw has led some farmers here to turn to reeds or wood chip.
Both are excellent too and absorb urine well, but take somewhat longer to break down.

Straw doesn't cost farmers anything - it's a by product of their wheat and barley crops.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Excellent stuff.

We have rabbits, so I put the hay from their cage in with our compost. I used to use cut grass from the lawn, but I quit mowing, so I don't have that anymore.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pete75 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Good stable manure is a superior fertilizer than just dropped roadside dung.

Excellent stuff.

Straw doesn't cost farmers anything - it's a by product of their wheat and barley crops.

Straw has actually become so expensive that a fair few farmers here in the far West have gone over to other bedding materials.
It's the transport cost mostly.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

Straw has actually become so expensive that a fair few farmers here in the far West have gone over to other bedding materials.

Whilst transport costs rise annually last year it was the price of buying standing straw sold / acre It almost doubled. couple that with light crops and before you’ve the cost of baling it and moving it.
Early auctions this year suggest the price is down.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Paulatic wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Whilst transport costs rise annually last year it was the price of buying standing straw sold / acre It almost doubled. couple that with light crops and before you’ve the cost of baling it and moving it.
Early auctions this year suggest the price is down.

I am reliably informed that is has almost halved in price this year.
As indeed has hay/silage.
The vagueries of agriculture!
Transport costs are pretty much the same though, i.e. high.