All-female cabinet?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: All-female cabinet?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cherie Bliar should be added to the list, she lived in Number Ten for ten years, has lots of relevant experience, just like Mrs Clunton!

Cherie could really "hit the ground running", as Bill did
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cherie Bliar should be added to the list, she lived in Number Ten for ten years, has lots of relevant experience, just like Mrs Clunton!

Cherie could really "hit the ground running", as Bill did

Unelected. Just like Ms Sturgeon. She would need to go to the Upper Chamber, and the SNP have vowed to never make or accept such appointments. Dr Lucas didn't think this one through, I'm afraid.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mrs Clinton, iirc, was a successful lawyer in business or finance and a highly talented politician in her own right. She made the decision to back her husband's ambition for POTUS despite having her own ambitions for that too. The reason for that was solely gender inequality. She believed, probably quite rightly, that america was not ready to vote a woman into the Whitehouse. I am still not sure it's ready.

Cherie Blair was a talented legal brain and silk. Qualified near the top of her year in bar exam AIUI. Her ambition was solely a legal career with no public / political ambitions for herself indeed she came across s awkward publicly on a political arena.

Put simply Cherie Blair and Hillary Clinton are totally different beasts. Both successful but both suited for different arenas. I doubt Ms Blair would be very well suited for public office. BTW I respect both equally for what they have done in their life / career.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A fairly well known female politician suggests an all-female cabinet to get us out of This Mess

A letter in the Grauniad points out that all her suggested ministers are white, and eight of the ten studied or taught at Russell Group universities, looks like another Elite Cabinet

Just a fantasy, one fears, minusplus?

I thought it misguided and sexist.

As I understand it the politician concerned has decided that women work better together than men, that they are more pragmatic in their views and willing to trade. That might sometimes be the case but if so then it’s about time that politicians of all ‘persuasions’ got their act together and became similarly less entrenched in their political dogma and started to reach out to and trade with others rather than behave as they currently do. Politics needs to be more about consensus and less about some party’s or individuals particular beliefs.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Carlton green wrote:I thought it misguided and sexist.

As I understand it the politician concerned has decided that women work better together than men, that they are more pragmatic in their views and willing to trade. That might sometimes be the case but if so then it’s about time that politicians of all ‘persuasions’ got their act together and became similarly less entrenched in their political dogma and started to reach out to and trade with others rather than behave as they currently do. Politics needs to be more about consensus and less about some party’s or individuals particular beliefs.

Amen - or, possibly, Apeople - to that.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Pastychomper wrote:
Carlton green wrote:I thought it misguided and sexist.

Amen - or, possibly, Apeople - to that.

Yes this is a foot in the mouth moment for the usually sensible Caroline Lucas. Evidence from our two female prime ministers and the current women in the cabinet should have been enough to have told her the assumption that women work better together than men is flawed. The group she mentions could indeed do a good job, along with a few men like Grieve, Benn, Stewart etc but not because of their gender.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

geocycle wrote:Yes this is a foot in the mouth moment for the usually sensible Caroline Lucas. Evidence from our two female prime ministers and the current women in the cabinet should have been enough to have told her the assumption that women work better together than men is flawed. The group she mentions could indeed do a good job, along with a few men like Grieve, Benn, Stewart etc but not because of their gender.

I don't really understand how her government of national unity would work anyway. She was proposing to win a vote of no confidence against Johnson - OK - but then to form a cabinet exclusively of Remainers, most of whom have specifically stated they will work against Brexit. How is that unifying?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote:
geocycle wrote:Yes this is a foot in the mouth moment for the usually sensible Caroline Lucas. Evidence from our two female prime ministers and the current women in the cabinet should have been enough to have told her the assumption that women work better together than men is flawed. The group she mentions could indeed do a good job, along with a few men like Grieve, Benn, Stewart etc but not because of their gender.

I don't really understand how her government of national unity would work anyway. She was proposing to win a vote of no confidence against Johnson - OK - but then to form a cabinet exclusively of Remainers, most of whom have specifically stated they will work against Brexit. How is that unifying?

Are our politicians capable of unifying anything?

M own opinion is that our politicians have failed to achieve what the referendum campaign was offering. We are now talking about something totally different from what the Leave campaigns were offering and what people voted for. So now it must be either to completely re-negotiate our departure (without all these "red lines") so get closer to what the Leave campaigns were offering or to go back to the electorate and give them the choice between what is now being offered or something else (e.g. remain).

I'm not saying that the country cannot be unified, just that our politicians have clearly demonstrated they are not capable of unifying anybody.

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Some don't want unification. Indyref2 anyone? Simple over the 50% of votes marker seems to work well. :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:Some don't want unification. Indyref2 anyone? Simple over the 50% of votes marker seems to work well. :D

According to Farage, 52% is not enough to get legitimacy.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-ursula-von-der-leyen-brexit-party-vote-eu-commission-juncker-a9008501.html wrote:Nigel Farage is facing mockery after he claimed the new European Commission president lacked "legitimacy" because she won just 52 per cent of the vote.

Ian
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

To be fair, winning by a narrow margin against a popular campaign is not the same as winning by a narrow margin against nobody-in-particular. Rather than "which is the better of these 2 possibilities", the European Parliament was effectively asked "is this person good enough for the job?" which sounds like a lower bar to me.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Somehow I dinnae like how the light reflects off Ms Lucas, she looks like a tory to me
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Somehow I dinnae like how the light reflects off Ms Lucas, she looks like a tory to me
That'll be the blood dripping from her incisors.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Dr Lucas has more integrity in her little finger than the entire cabinet together.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:Dr Lucas has more integrity in her little finger than the entire cabinet together.

Lucas has the luxury of not making decisions that are implemented as part of a government. If the Greens came to power as part of a coalition how quickly would that gloss come off? The long established Green Party in Germany has had its fair share of scandals, including sex, paedophilia and associating with Nazis (on anti-Israel platforms).

I'm not saying Lucas is bad, just that if a political force the Greens would make bad decisions, confabulate and lie.

And why is there this sudden move to calling her Doctor Lucas? Her PhD is in English literature and unless she's teaching in formal education it would be normal not to refer to her doctorate. I've worked with tens of people with doctorates, I've only met one who made a thing of being 'doctor' and they at least worked in a field directly related to their doctorate.