All-female cabinet?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Carlton green

Re: All-female cabinet?

Post by Carlton green »

Tangled Metal wrote:That moderating effect is widely espoused. Personally I don't completely agree with it. My perception of cameron before the 2010 GE was a kind of change in which end of tory party was gaining power. More centrist IMHO and pushing a kind of slightly green edge to n the blue. IIRC this was the time of Cameron and the husky sledge photocall, the green tree logo, etc.

There was a feeling among centre right that tories were going for middle ground more than ever before. For once people like me, who were more centre than right, could feel comfortable voting tory. I nearly voted Labour before Cameron because they seemed more centrist.

I suspect the 2015 lurch back right was a correction within the party but I think the separation with LibDems caused that. It was happening towards the end of coalition too I felt.

Whatever the case I don't think 2010 coalition was a true coalition in a European style. You can't compare it with say Belgian national governments for the last 40 or 60 years (not sure how far back not they've just 4 or 5 party coalitions for a very long time). As a Belgian national told me last week, "we give a little to you, a little to them and I get a little too", which I do not think a two party coalition gives.

Couldn't Cameron technically run a minority government without LibDems? Fighting for votes with each bit of legislation. Any loss could bring the government down. In that case perhaps there would have been a wider consensus formed more frequently? Just a thought.

The problem that we have in this country is that we do not have PR, what we have instead is effectively two party politics with the opposition (of whatever colour) being only interested in bringing the government down. It’s all a rather silly game in which the public suffer the consequences. The two main parties like it that way and hence scuppered the last referendum on changes to the voting system.

IMHO the last coalition worked well, but the Tory party did put some booby traps into the train of events ready to wreck the Lib Dem’s at the following general election. Long term that was a mistake by the Tories, they will loose power to Labour yet could have influenced things for a further decade or two in coalition with the Lib Dem’s. U.K. voters like centre ground policies and politicians.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Does ms l keep all her substantial salary, or does she donate some of it?
What about Heidi Allen, and Gisela Stuart?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jo Swinson
Margaret Thatcher
Theresa May
Diane Abbott
Anne Widdecombe
Angela Merkel
Heidi Allen
Nicola Sturgeon
Hillary Clinton
Jacinta Ardern
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The new Finnish cabinet has 12 female members and six male, ladies hold all the 'important' posts

I am a laddie and I think that is very good, why?

The Finnish coalition comprises five parties, the PMs party got only 13% of the votes. Could be interesting :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Could it be because the women were better for those jobs than three available men? You can only work with the talent you've got.

If course Finnish society is more equal than UK society. This government is like this, next might be mostly Male. As I said it's possibly down to purely the talent available.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, How would it all work with "Gender Self Designation"? Why are some folk so obsessed with gender inequality?? I've always taken such inequality in pension provision as being tough but what the heck? Men had to wait 5 years longer for their state pension, then statistically die 5 years earlier than their female counterpart!
The one area of such disparity came with the pension schemes for teachers. Both paid the same contributions, subject of course to the female not having taken time out for breed em & rear em duties, both could get their occupational pension at 60. But when it came to the death of the contributor the disparity occurs? The widow of such a contributor would get a half pension, but when the contributor was a female in teaching then her widower would only get a quarter pension :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . IGICB MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Minette Batters is Chairperson of the NFU National Farmers Union, a conservative powerful masculine (?) organisation, Plus One?

'A no-deal b****t should be a catastrophe', she bleated
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:Russell Group Universities is where he abler kids from comprehensive schools go. Hardly elite.

look here for a list

https://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/

i think when people think of R.G unis they think just of Oxbridge and also eg Imperial College but there are lots more that belong? Not all toffy nosed places for the rich sprogs