50 books to read before you...Favourite Classic books

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: 50 books to read before you...Favourite Classic books

Postby francovendee » 18 Aug 2019, 9:35am

The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, came out in 1939 but I never read it until 10 years ago. I've read it again about 5 years ago. Very sad tale.
I've read all his other works now but this is my favourite.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 18 Aug 2019, 11:06am

None of the above.

The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff ( 2019 )

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... off-review

About the rise of the personal information collecting explosion ( Google /Facebook etc) and it's monetisation

Consider the apparently benign game Pokémon Go, both a ridiculous and a transparent example of the link between behavioural surplus and physical control. While its initial players lauded the game for its incitement to head outside into the “real world”, they in fact stumbled straight into an entirely fabricated reality, one based on years of conditioning human motivation through reward systems, and designed to herd its users towards commercial opportunities. Within days of the game’s launch in 2016, its creators revealed that attractive virtual locations were for sale to the highest bidder, inking profitable deals with McDonald’s, Starbucks and others to direct Pokémon hunters to their front doors. The players think they are playing one game – collecting Pokémon – while they are in fact playing an entirely different one, in which the board is invisible but they are the pawns.

How collecting has moved onto to manipulating.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 18 Aug 2019, 3:36pm

francovendee wrote:The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, came out in 1939 but I never read it until 10 years ago. I've read it again about 5 years ago. Very sad tale.

Travels with Charley is my favourite
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Aug 2019, 5:56am

Ben@Forest wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Dickens and Hardy are worth trying, but are they outdated now?

By that rationale every contemporary novel is outdated the moment it's published

The moment it is published? Of course not, but Dickens was very much of his time, his books were published as series in the newspaper, maybe a bit more like news, popular entertainment (+1!) than a novel

Could most people read back then, the lower classes too?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 21 Aug 2019, 8:41am

No longer a reader of books to my shame. I can't do it anymore. There could be reasons behind it so I really shouldn't be ashamed.

Despite all that my book list of books that meant something to me (all good books connect with the reader so mean something to them). Does seem antiestablishment in tone. Aldous Huxley brave new world, Orwell 1984, Joseph Heller catch 22, etc. Also I enjoy conan Doyle as a kid. Tolkien as a kid and fun re reading as an adult.

As to literary lists of books to read or best books that's elitist. I oppose the very idea of the literary elite composing lists for us to read. Mind control I tell you!

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 21 Aug 2019, 9:08am

Two books that made a great impression on me:

The Man on a Donkey - Hilda M. Prescott: the interwoven stories of several people in Tudor England, centring around the Pilgrimage of Grace in 1536.

Hanta Yo - Ruth Beebe Hill/Chunksa Yuha: The life story of a Lakota Sioux shortly before the whites expanded into their territory.

Hanta Yo in particular is outstanding. In order to eliminate all words and concepts foreign to the Lakota, Hill first wrote her novel in English then translated it into Lakota with the help of Chunksa Yuha, then translated it back into English. I originally bought this by chance as a paperback, but it is so good that we eventually bought a hardback edition to "lay down". It did eventually become a sort of cult bible for overly earnest people in study groups and afternoon tea gatherings, but it is an excellent book despite that and a good read.

Another one worth having, even if you don't read it cover to cover, is Dorothy Hartley's Food in England. Not just how to roast a piece of pork on your house-key in front of the living-room fire, but also how to build, and arrange the drainage of, an outside lavatory.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 21 Aug 2019, 9:09am

brynpoeth wrote:Could most people read back then, the lower classes too?

The first British national report in literacy in 1840 found 67% of men and 51% of women were literate. In 1775 it had been estimated 56% of men were literate. No figures but it's almost definite Scotland was more literate than England and Wales.

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 21 Aug 2019, 11:14am

Ben@Forest wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Could most people read back then, the lower classes too?

The first British national report in literacy in 1840 found 67% of men and 51% of women were literate. In 1775 it had been estimated 56% of men were literate.

That rings true with me because as I've been doing my family tree it's surprising how many documents are signed with an X and a comment along the lines of "the mark of"
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

Stradageek

Postby Stradageek » 21 Aug 2019, 12:33pm

Anyone like me and completely abandoned fiction?

Nevertheless, from the days when I did read fiction, I'd say that 'Les Miserables' was definitely my number one read (how it could thought suitable material for a musical beggars belief!) probably followed by 'War and Peace'

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 21 Aug 2019, 1:12pm

brynpoeth wrote:
francovendee wrote:The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, came out in 1939 but I never read it until 10 years ago. I've read it again about 5 years ago. Very sad tale.

Travels with Charley is my favourite

Charley is a great book! I read it under protest after other Steinbeck experiences - it was unexpected, clever and lovely!

(Grapes of Wrath - too depressing couldn't finish
Mice and Men - also very sad, but enjoyable overall
)

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 21 Aug 2019, 7:23pm

Stradageek wrote:Anyone like me and completely abandoned fiction?

No, but like a lot of men l read far more history and biography than fiction. I was at a literary festival recently and that was discussed, it is apparently a statisical fact. At the moment it's Roman Britain by Patricia Southern (and it's excellent). But the book l finished before was a crime novel.... very lowbrow!

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Aug 2019, 8:08pm

There is a lot to be said for succ€$$ful, popular books
I read a Barbara Cartland novel once :wink:

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 21 Aug 2019, 11:09pm

The latest good book that I enjoyed reading was The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

PH

Postby PH » 22 Aug 2019, 12:36am

The classic of classics needs to go on the list - Canterbury Tales. Took me a couple of goes to get into it, but have since read it a couple more times and it has a lot to say.
You could follow that with One Thousand and One Nights to get a completely different perspective on the world.

Others I'd recommend everyone to read - Heart of Darkness, Howards End, On the Road, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, something by JB Priestly (doesn't matter what, if you like it you'll be back for more, if not, well they aren't a hard read.) I'll stop there, it could be a long list.
If you're determined to tackle Ulysses, maybe read Dubliners first to get a feel for the language.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Aug 2019, 3:06am

I fear Dubliners and Ulysses are very different

In Search of Wales by H V Morton