Vegetarians, convince me!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Freddie

Vegetarians, convince me!

Post by Freddie »

I doubt very much I'll be going full vegetarian any time soon, but I could do with adding more vegetables to my diet (I eat a lot of fruit - tomatoes, dates, figs, olives, apples and so on, but could do with more vegetables, perhaps in particular leafy greens like kale and spinach).

What recipes have you got to share that you think would satisfy the most jaded of carnivores? By the way, no curries (Indian or Thai) please. I like these dishes, but I find them an easy way to consume vegetables (adding spices, yoghurt, cream, coconut milk), in that the vegetables become more a supporting role, rather than star of the show. I'd like some dishes where the vegetables are the centrepiece of the dish.

Thanks in advance :D
Cyril Haearn

Re: Vegetarians, convince me!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lentil soup of course, made some yesterday with potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, leek
Eating a lot of plums, I collect them wild for free, the only fruit one knows is quite natural

I try to avoid the expensive lifestyle wholefood store with exotic products, bottled water etc
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What's there to convince?
You stop eating meat and fish,there's plenty of books and internet sites with loads of vegetarian dishes,and why are curries not allowed in Freddie vegaterian world,vegetables are the main ingredient of veggie curries :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

................ vegetables are the centrepiece of the dish .......................

Make a good amount of cheese sauce. Lots of strong cheddar with perhaps some blue cheese in there too.
Par-cook your veg ...... we like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips ......... arrange them in a big oven-proof dish, pour over the cheese sauce and cook until the cheese sauce just browns off a bit.
Lift it out, sprinkle some grated cheese on the top, or breadcrumbs, or a mixture of them, let it all cool a bit, and then serve.

Yum!
Mick F. Cornwall
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

reohn2 wrote:What's there to convince?
That there are plenty of good dishes that taste nice without meat as the centrepiece, rather than a mere smattering.....convincing people is always better than just demanding they change. Why aren't you completely vegan...what's there to convince...(see what I'm saying?). Some recipes would certainly help, if you have ones you think fit the bill.

Curries are fine and good, but man cannot subsist on curries alone and they are often heavily spiced to somewhat mask the flavour of the vegetables. I always think the gravy (as the Indian's call it) is typically the centrepiece/main taste of a curry.

Do you have no killer recipe to knock carnivores dead (metaphorically speaking) or do I have to do all the leg work (as an inveterate carnivore) myself?

Mick F wrote:Yum!
Sounds good, Mick. Do you add any carbs, like pasta or does it accompany other dishes?

edit: I suppose the parsnips provide some carbs...
Last edited by Freddie on 18 Aug 2019, 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I eat meat and like you doubt I will stop anytime soon, but I am slowly replacing meals, if you stop worrying about meat replacement, vegetarian or even vegan food can make a great meal. Pasta with a freshly made pesto recipe a simple tomato and basil sauce. A vegetable curry if well made is better than a meat one. Stir fry vegetables in sesame oil. There are various beans and pulses that make great casseroles. falafel well made watch Nadia’s current TV program for some great ideas.
NUKe

Post by al_yrpal »

Melt lots of butter in a large flat pan.
Drop 2 large portobello or similar mushrooms per person gills down with the stalks removed into the pan and cook for a few minutes.
Flip the mushrooms over and whilst cooking the other side drop lots of blue cheese into the mushroom cups. My favourite cheese is Roqueforte.
Put a lid on and cook for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.

Serve with some steamed green vegetables - finely shredded runner beans etc

Its quite a hearty meal.

Favourite veg is steamed leek slices, lifts any veg selection.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

al_yrpal wrote:Melt lots of butter in a large flat pan.
Drop 2 large portobello or similar mushrooms per person gills down with the stalks removed into the pan and cook for a few minutes.
Flip the mushrooms over and whilst cooking the other side drop lots of blue cheese into the mushroom cups. My favourite cheese is Roqueforte.
Al
Sounds good, Al...like the basis of a risotto, do you ever make that? That typically calls for chicken stock for flavour. I suppose it could be made with vegetable, but I haven't tried.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I saw a carbon footprint account of various types of meat, ( BBC or Guardian I think ) It seems that it is beef that is the culprit which has a large carbon footprint, whereas pork and chicken have a relatively small one. so no need to become a vegey, just cut down on your beef. ( easy as I cannot normally afford it any way unless it is reduced end of day at Sainsburys, usually mince or diced - good for a stew)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Freddie wrote:Sounds good, Mick. Do you add any carbs, like pasta or does it accompany other dishes?
Beer perhaps? :wink:

Sometimes have it with meat and spuds, sometimes just by itself maybe with some spuds in it.
You don't need a square meal single every meal ....... or at least we don't.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freddie wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What's there to convince?
That there are plenty of good dishes that taste nice without meat as the centrepiece, rather than a mere smattering.....convincing people is always better than just demanding they change. Why aren't you completely vegan...what's there to convince...(see what I'm saying?). Some recipes would certainly help, if you have ones you think fit the bill.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to become vegetarian ,that's upto the individual.
If you want to eat more veg go ahead,I really can't see the problem.
I'm not vegan because it's too much trouble TBH and I like cheese and eggs occasionally,and leather shoes.

Curries are fine and good, but man cannot subsist on curries alone and they are often heavily spiced to somewhat mask the flavour of the vegetables. I always think the gravy (as the Indian's call it) is typically the centrepiece/main taste of a curry

No one is say wo/man has to subsist on curries alone,but they do add a leettle spice to food :wink: and they needn't be very spicy either.

Do you have no killer recipe to knock carnivores dead (metaphorically speaking) or do I have to do all the leg work (as an inveterate carnivore) myself?

I'll need to ask the cook :wink:

30 years ago I was a big meat eater,when we stopped I was surprised that I never missed it,I also got more energy from my food and felt a lot lighter in myself as a result.Definitely the best thing I ever did :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Aug 2019, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:................ vegetables are the centrepiece of the dish .......................

Make a good amount of cheese sauce. Lots of strong cheddar with perhaps some blue cheese in there too.
Par-cook your veg ...... we like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips ......... arrange them in a big oven-proof dish, pour over the cheese sauce and cook until the cheese sauce just browns off a bit.
Lift it out, sprinkle some grated cheese on the top, or breadcrumbs, or a mixture of them, let it all cool a bit, and then serve.

Yum!

Good 'un Mick,we like that too :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Melt lots of butter in a large flat pan.

Serve with some steamed green vegetables - finely shredded runner beans etc

Its quite a hearty meal.

Favourite veg is steamed leek slices, lifts any veg selection.

Al

Yep we like that too :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I have to confess that in recent years we do now eat fish a couple of times a week,almost exclusively smoked mackerel,on a crusty bread roll with mayonnaise,along with chips and mush peas.

Second confession,I don't cook Mrs R2 does that and only allows me to wash up :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pasta bake,one of Mrs R2's many recipes:-
Onions,courgette,traffic lights peppers,tinned tom's or a jar of bolognaise sauce,cooked in pan,cook Rigatoni pasta and drain.Add sauce to pasta add cream,mix well.Transfere to shallow ovenproof dish,sprinkle with whatever cheese strums yer strings,put under the grill to melt the cheese.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Aug 2019, 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden