Vegetarians, convince me!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
windmiller

Re: Vegetarians, convince me!

Postby windmiller » 19 Aug 2019, 6:03pm

I agree that a largely plant based diet is more healthy for most people. Consuming good quality meat in moderation is healthy too - as long as you enjoy the taste.

I disagree that plants and fungi are not sentient beings however, so the ideological/moralistic arguments for chosing to eat them rather than animals is blinkered by sentimentality bias towards living organisms less alien and more akin to ourselves.

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 Aug 2019, 6:24pm

windmiller wrote:I agree that a largely plant based diet is more healthy for most people. Consuming good quality meat in moderation is healthy too - as long as you enjoy the taste.

I disagree that plants and fungi are not sentient beings however, so the ideological/moralistic arguments for chosing to eat them rather than animals is blinkered by sentimentality bias towards living organisms less alien and more akin to ourselves.

Convince me that fungi and spuds worry about being eaten and I'll start giving it some thought. :lol:

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Aug 2019, 6:27pm

pwa wrote:Convince me that fungi and spuds worry about being eaten and I'll start giving it some thought. :lol:

Don't you know that they scream when torn from the soil? Inaudibly to us of course.

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 Aug 2019, 6:29pm

Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:Convince me that fungi and spuds worry about being eaten and I'll start giving it some thought. :lol:

Don't you know that they scream when torn from the soil? Inaudibly to us of course.

Thought you needed lungs and a brain to scream.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Aug 2019, 6:31pm

pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

That is just your animal supremacist thinking. They scream in their own way, inaudibly.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 19 Aug 2019, 6:34pm

:lol: :lol:

I am not a vegan, perish the thought, I am not a vegetarian.
When we have "full Yorkshire Sunday dinner" .. I have no meat...
The veg, the puddings the gravy ... why ruin it with putting meat on the plate ??

Curries ... why meat ... what point is there in meat in curries .... :roll:

KFC ... CHICKEN IN STUFF, FRIED IN STUFF, AND SERVED WITH MAYO ...... yes !!

I am not a vegan, perish the thought, I am not a vegetarian. ...... :D
Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right ... Carson.
The Road Goes On Forever ...

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 Aug 2019, 6:35pm

Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

That is just your animal supremacist thinking. They scream in their own way, inaudibly.

In a starchy sort of way perhaps.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Aug 2019, 6:46pm

pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:Thought you needed lungs and a brain to scream.

In a starchy sort of way perhaps.

If you agree that we have evolved from plants,then it follows that we are plants in an evolved state.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 19 Aug 2019, 6:47pm

If you pick the fruit of the mycelia surely you wouldn't hear it scream .... its underground ..... ? :)

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Aug 2019, 6:49pm

reohn2 wrote:
If you agree that we have evolved from plants,then it follows that we are plants in an evolved state.

Have we though. Have not plants and animals evolved separately from eukaryotes or something?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Aug 2019, 6:54pm

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Have we though. Have not plants and animals evolved separately from eukaryotes or something?

We're all of the earth,OK there are differing strands of evolution,but it's all traceable back to earth.
To be clear,I'm not arguing for anything in particular only that the earth is our true Mother and everything evolved from It.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Aug 2019, 7:01pm

landsurfer wrote:If you pick the fruit of the mycelia surely you wouldn't hear it scream .... its underground ..... ? :)

Its screams are heard on that underground network of filaments connecting plants and conveying thoughts we cannot hear, still less understand.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 19 Aug 2019, 7:05pm

Mike Sales wrote:
landsurfer wrote:If you pick the fruit of the mycelia surely you wouldn't hear it scream .... its underground ..... ? :)

Its screams are heard on that underground network of filaments connecting plants and conveying thoughts we cannot hear, still less understand.

OK .. where are the 7ft high blue people fighting the evil Marines and the Multi Nationals ..... :D

Or the "Cowboys and Indians" as we used to call them in the non PC past .... :)

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Aug 2019, 7:07pm

landsurfer wrote:
OK .. where are the 7ft high blue people fighting the evil Marines and the Multi Nationals ..... :D

You are getting silly now. I never mentioned the lizard people.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Aug 2019, 7:16pm

landsurfer wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Or the "Cowboys and Indians" as we used to call them in the non PC past .... :)

Don't scoff.

“Mother Trees” Use Fungal Communication Systems to Preserve Forests

Suzanne Simard, forest ecologist at the University of British Columbia, and her colleagues have made the major discovery that trees and plants really do communicate and interact with each other. She discovered an underground web of fungi connecting the trees and plants of an ecosystem. This symbiosis enables the purposeful sharing of resources, consequently helping the whole system of trees and plants to flourish.
Simard was lead to the discovery by the observation of webs of bright white and yellow fungal threads in the forest floor. Many of these fungi were mycorrhizal, meaning they have a beneficial, symbiotic relationship with a a host plant, in this case tree roots. Microscopic experimentation revealed that the fungi actually moves carbon, water and nutrients between trees, depending upon their needs.

http://www.ecology.com/2012/10/08/trees-communicate/

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I have exaggerated slightly perhaps, for entertainment.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 19 Aug 2019, 8:02pm, edited 1 time in total.