The Recycling Myth?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: The Recycling Myth?

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:I wonder how much of Mick F's recycling is his empty beer bottles?
Maybe he should be buying cans instead?
Cans.
Cheaper to buy the beer in cans, lighter to chuck in the bin and take to the recycling.

How about deposit bottles, returned to the shop and then to the brewery in the presumably empty lorries which delivered them full?
Reuse before recycle.
I like to buy a brand brewed locally, at Wainfleet. Fewer lorry miles In an ideal world it could even be brought most of the way by rail.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mike Sales wrote:
How about deposit bottles, returned to the shop and then to the brewery in the presumably empty lorries which delivered them full?
Reuse before recycle.
I like to buy a brand brewed locally, at Wainfleet. Fewer lorry miles In an ideal world it could even be brought most of the way by rail.

That all makes sense. Its how it used to be ... Wainfleet ? ... Batemans ? ... I have a bottle of Batemans Victory Ale I intend to consume later today .. :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Reuse before recycle.

That all makes sense. Its how it used to be ... Wainfleet ? ... Batemans ? ... I have a bottle of Batemans Victory Ale I intend to consume later today .. :D

Yes, Bateman's "Good Honest Ales". It is stocked in local pubs and supermarkets.
Wainfleet has a station and ours is a couple of miles from the village.
On a remote lane near the Witham the O.S. marks Witham Brewery. I can find nothing about it.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 19 Aug 2019, 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well just tried to take a 3 large back sacks of empty dvd/blu ray cases to my Local recycle centre in Lambeth - they told me to go there , but the centre told me they cant be recycled so just to put them in a silver bin where other non recyclables go. Well in future I will just put any in my general bin out side for the dustman to take away. seems silly but there it is. all that plastic ending in a landfill I assume.
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:well just tried to take a 3 large back sacks of empty dvd/blu ray cases to my Local recycle centre in Lambeth - they told me to go there , but the centre told me they cant be recycled so just to put them in a silver bin where other non recyclables go. Well in future I will just put any in my general bin out side for the dustman to take away. seems silly but there it is. all that plastic ending in a landfill I assume.

How have you managed to accumulate so much waste? they seem to me to be ideal candidates for the re-use element of the three R's. Don't throw them away, find someone who can use them.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's all very well, but to what lengths can you go to to get them to the person who wants them?
Is it worth the effort/expense/miles/postage?
You have to want/need to reuse, or find someone who does.

We take our recycling when we go shopping. Pointless making a separate trip.
Also, it's a bit of a hassle to get the rubbish out down the drive and down the lane to be collected, so we don't go to the trouble of putting recycling out ....................... which is on a separate day to the household rubbish collection ......... so we drive it to town when we go there.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tom_B

Post by Tom_B »

they seem to me to be ideal candidates for the re-use element of the three R's. Don't throw them away, find someone who can use them.

Indeed - a quick google throws up a number of possibilities
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:That's all very well, but to what lengths can you go to to get them to the person who wants them?
Is it worth the effort/expense/miles/postage?
You have to want/need to reuse, or find someone who does.

We take our recycling when we go shopping. Pointless making a separate trip.

For your beer bottles the method I suggest above fits well.
Return your empties to the shop (and reclaim the deposit).
The shop loads the lorry which brought them full with the empties for its return journey.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A few years ago when recycling first became a big deal round here I used to see the percentage of the waste deposited at the recycling centre run by LCC. It used to be high 90% figures. A few years ago they suddenly dropped that figure down to 65% at most. Why?

Put simply they did the same amount of activities with the waste. Indeed they had been doing more years before the big drop in recycling rates. They took more stuff out for the local bulky matters to reuse so that was better than the early years of that site.

The reason is a more accurate way of measuring recycling levels. They now only record what actually gets recycled. Before they recorded what was partly sorted on site and taken to a recycling company. Now they record what that recycling company recycles and the drop in the recycling percentage reflects what that recycling company sends to landfill.

It's not as ideal as Wikipedia says it is I reckon.Looking at the bales of paper and plastic at the recycling centre next door to where I work I do question how accurate recycling claims are. And that firm gets trade visits for benchmarking best practise too.

I occasionally talk to the boss at the burger van. He often gets council's and recycling companies from other parts of the UK looking over his operations. All began when a guy signed over a single, battered skip lottery to the guy as payment for repairs to the previous owner's car! There's brass in other people's waste if you have the imagination to make it.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Belgium has bottle recycling. We kept forgetting, kept throwing good bottles into the recycling skips instead of taking them back for refund of deposit. It's a habit we couldn't get used to!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:
mercalia wrote:well just tried to take a 3 large back sacks of empty dvd/blu ray cases to my Local recycle centre in Lambeth - they told me to go there , but the centre told me they cant be recycled so just to put them in a silver bin where other non recyclables go. Well in future I will just put any in my general bin out side for the dustman to take away. seems silly but there it is. all that plastic ending in a landfill I assume.

How have you managed to accumulate so much waste? they seem to me to be ideal candidates for the re-use element of the three R's. Don't throw them away, find someone who can use them.

I tried to find some one on the NextDoor local social network. No takers. So 2 bin bags to the recycle centre to be dumped and the remaining bag in my dustbin. I buy alot of £1 to 50p blu rays from CEX and rip them to my Media Center, since I dont have a tv licence, a sort of personal Netflix. Since I only need the discs as backups they arenow in plastic sleeves.
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:

I tried to find some one on the NextDoor local social network. No takers. So 2 bin bags to the recycle centre to be dumped and the remaining bag in my dustbin. I buy alot of £1 to 50p blu rays from CEX and rip them to my Media Center, since I dont have a tv licence, a sort of personal Netflix. Since I only need the discs as backups they arenow in plastic sleeves.

So are you going to continue to buy stuff that you now know can't be recycled? Maybe take responsibility for finding the next user before you do. I wouldn't have sent those off to landfill, I'd have hung onto them till a use could be found.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

PH wrote:So are you going to continue to buy stuff that you now know can't be recycled? Maybe take responsibility for finding the next user before you do. I wouldn't have sent those off to landfill, I'd have hung onto them till a use could be found.

Try shopping for family of 5, including 3 children of school age, and just before you get to the checkout decide what is recyclable and who you can pass stuff on to ... HA! ...
We don't have enough free time in the day to brush our teeth ... and we are experienced parents ...
How will a young couple with children cope with recycling ! .... not a hope in hell .....
Be more Mike.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Try shopping for family of 5, including 3 children of school age, and just before you get to the checkout decide what is recyclable and who you can pass stuff on to ... HA! ...
We don't have enough free time in the day to brush our teeth ... and we are experienced parents ...
How will a young couple with children cope with recycling ! .... not a hope in hell .....

I'm not interested in your excuses, but you've replied to a post directed at mercalia who is complaining it's silly that something they're unnecessarily buying, that could probably be found a further use for isn't recyclable.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

PH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Try shopping for family of 5, including 3 children of school age, and just before you get to the checkout decide what is recyclable and who you can pass stuff on to ... HA! ...

I'm not interested in your excuses, but you've replied to a post directed at mercalia who is complaining it's silly that something they're unnecessarily buying, that could probably be found a further use for isn't recyclable.

Do you lot ever go out cycling ....... YET Again, i forgot to add a humour emoji at the end of the post .... do you ever read your own posts .... ?
Be more Mike.