The Recycling Myth?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: The Recycling Myth?

Postby mercalia » 19 Aug 2019, 7:07pm

PH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Try shopping for family of 5, including 3 children of school age, and just before you get to the checkout decide what is recyclable and who you can pass stuff on to ... HA! ...
We don't have enough free time in the day to brush our teeth ... and we are experienced parents ...
How will a young couple with children cope with recycling ! .... not a hope in hell .....

I'm not interested in your excuses, but you've replied to a post directed at mercalia who is complaining it's silly that something they're unnecessarily buying, that could probably be found a further use for isn't recyclable.

if you give me your address I'll post them to you, ok?

I wanted the blu ray discs, still have them all , just not the jewel cases as too much bulk.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 19 Aug 2019, 7:37pm

PH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Try shopping for family of 5, including 3 children of school age, and just before you get to the checkout decide what is recyclable and who you can pass stuff on to ... HA! ...
We don't have enough free time in the day to brush our teeth ... and we are experienced parents ...
How will a young couple with children cope with recycling ! .... not a hope in hell .....

I'm not interested in your excuses, but you've replied to a post directed at mercalia who is complaining it's silly that something they're unnecessarily buying, that could probably be found a further use for isn't recyclable.

Surely that is a reason not an excuse.

PH

Postby PH » 19 Aug 2019, 8:00pm

landsurfer wrote:
PH wrote:

Do you lot ever go out cycling ....... YET Again, i forgot to add a humour emoji at the end of the post .... do you ever read your own posts .... ?

Yet again you needlessly want to start an argument with me, then say "Only joking"
It wasn't funny, how was I to know it was a joke :roll:
More cycling than you I expect, I'm out on the bike now...

PH

Postby PH » 19 Aug 2019, 8:03pm

pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:

Surely that is a reason not an excuse.

Only if you believe that having a family and taking responsibility for your waste are incompatible, I know that to not be the case.
TM was apparently only joking, but he's posted many times on his lack of concern for the environment, though maybe he was only joking then as well, who knows.

PH

Postby PH » 19 Aug 2019, 8:07pm

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:

I wanted the blu ray discs, still have them all , just not the jewel cases as too much bulk.

Do what you want, but please don't go on about the silliness of others not being able to recycle your waste.
If you were close to me, I'd take them off you and I would find someone who could use them, local bands producing there own CD's might be a possibility.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 19 Aug 2019, 8:22pm

PH wrote:
mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:I'm not interested in your excuses, but you've replied to a post directed at mercalia who is complaining it's silly that something they're unnecessarily buying, that could probably be found a further use for isn't recyclable.

Do what you want, but please don't go on about the silliness of others not being able to recycle your waste.
If you were close to me, I'd take them off you and I would find someone who could use them, local bands producing there own CD's might be a possibility.

Why do I pay local taxes other than to supply services like recycling facilities? Look I tried to do the right thing. I contacted lambeth council about having them recycled who said not to put them into the recycle bins but that the local recycle centre could take them. When I visited them, one of the grunts said no we cant recycle them, put them in the waste bin over there. I was surprised that they rejected them as I thought the plastic was very recyclable, thats the silliness of them being rejected, but not having a car to shift them have limited options. As for a local band wanting them , they are blu ray cases with the blu ray monica on them so I doubt of limited use to any one.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 19 Aug 2019, 8:44pm

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Why do I pay local taxes other than to supply services like recycling facilities? Look I tried to do the right thing. I contacted lambeth council about having them recycled who said not to put them into the recycle bins but that the local recycle centre could take them. When I visited them, one of the grunts said no we cant recycle them, put them in the waste bin over there. I was surprised that they rejected them as I thought the plastic was very recyclable, thats the silliness of them being rejected, but not having a car to shift them have limited options. As for a local band wanting them , they are blu ray cases with the blu ray monica on them so I doubt of limited use to any one.

There must be bands called "blu ray" out there - have you looked?? <joking !!! >

Seriously, I'm a proper "Green Warrior", but I think it's really harsh to criticise someone over sending these to landfill. I doubt most people would think it was feasible to recycle them - I know *I* didn't know they could be. I mean, EVERYTHING can be re-used somehow, but the cost/effort is sadly prohibitive for most packaging, especially very bespoke plastic designs. I'd rather mercalia spent his/her effort on bigger stuff.

(That's not to say I don't applaud those folk who make the effort to re-use/upcycle things like this :) )

peetee

Postby peetee » 19 Aug 2019, 9:27pm

I was in Halfords today. At the till I was asked for my email address. I thought this was another thinly veiled attempt to drown me with spam but apparently it's their way of offering a paper-free alternative receipt. I declined, preferring to maintain my anonymous cash purchase and the machine then printed out a 18" long strip of shiny paper for my bottle of diesel injector cleaner. :roll:
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 19 Aug 2019, 11:14pm

PH is really on one tonight. Dragged me into an spat with someone else.

What emoji should I have used after the above? Please assume I've used the most appropriate one to avoid offence.

PH

Postby PH » 20 Aug 2019, 10:34am

Tangled Metal wrote:PH is really on one tonight. Dragged me into an spat with someone else.

What emoji should I have used after the above? Please assume I've used the most appropriate one to avoid offence.

Is that another of your after pub specials? Maybe you should have your own symbol just for that.
You weren't dragged anywhere, you jumped.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 20 Aug 2019, 1:02pm

It'd probably be better if there was no recycling around here as this lot, Mid UK, have the contract. On one occasion a worker was dragged into a shredding machine and died what must have been a horrible death, in another many tons of plastic they were illegally storing caught fire. There have been several other fires there. The burning of masses of plastic probably caused more environmental damage than their recycling efforts have prevented.
In the last few years they've paid out the best part of £1.5 million quid in fines, costs and compensation and two of the management team have received suspended gaol sentences.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... dder-death

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/ ... s-9001584/

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/ ... t-9044344/

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 20 Aug 2019, 1:25pm

They could be working in mining, or motorsport, or fast food, and done the same sort of damage - idiots are idiots.

Trying to blame the recycling industry is clutching at straws*

(which will no doubt be recycled : D )

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Aug 2019, 2:15pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Mick F wrote:That's all very well, but to what lengths can you go to to get them to the person who wants them?
Is it worth the effort/expense/miles/postage?
You have to want/need to reuse, or find someone who does.

We take our recycling when we go shopping. Pointless making a separate trip.

For your beer bottles the method I suggest above fits well.
Return your empties to the shop (and reclaim the deposit).
The shop loads the lorry which brought them full with the empties for its return journey.

There's another point worth considering in that if all bottles were standardised sizes and shape any brewery etc could wash and recycle any bottle.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Aug 2019, 6:53pm

reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Mick F wrote:That's all very well, but to what lengths can you go to to get them to the person who wants them?
Is it worth the effort/expense/miles/postage?
You have to want/need to reuse, or find someone who does.

We take our recycling when we go shopping. Pointless making a separate trip.

For your beer bottles the method I suggest above fits well.
Return your empties to the shop (and reclaim the deposit).
The shop loads the lorry which brought them full with the empties for its return journey.

There's another point worth considering in that if all bottles were standardised sizes and shape any brewery etc could wash and recycle any bottle.

In Germany of course bottles are standardised
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

pete75

Postby pete75 » 20 Aug 2019, 6:57pm

mattheus wrote:They could be working in mining, or motorsport, or fast food, and done the same sort of damage - idiots are idiots.

Trying to blame the recycling industry is clutching at straws*

(which will no doubt be recycled : D )

Who's clutching at straws in trying to blame the recycling industry? I mentioned one particular firm which may well have done more harm than good.. Do you not know the difference between the particular and the general?