The adventure begins!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

The adventure begins!

Postby peetee » 19 Aug 2019, 4:07pm

...or, how to reclaim your life.
After raising one and a half families, working in various professions for 30+ years including running a 7 day a week bike repair business for the past 8 years the opportunity arose to move away from Southampton and re-discover cycling first handed rather than tool handed. Well, I mean, who wouldn't?
So I relocated west. Very west. Mon abode is a hour and a halfs ride from Lands End and utterly entangled in a huge network of road and off road routes. Given that I have barely turned a crank in the last ten years I have plenty of inspiration to fuel my search for fitness.
A comprehensive home patching and re-decoration has to come first, along with a cosy home for the bikes.
So begineth the saga.
Stay tuned!
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

PH

Re: The adventure begins!

Postby PH » 19 Aug 2019, 4:22pm

Congratulations and enjoy the riding, there's plenty to challenge yourself to in that area!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Aug 2019, 7:19pm

Happy retirement,enjoy it :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 19 Aug 2019, 7:27pm

Oh no!
Now the real work begins. :lol: :lol:
fausto.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 19 Aug 2019, 7:49pm

Plus Two, I just subscribed
Please to post photos too, are you learning Cornish?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

peetee

Postby peetee » 19 Aug 2019, 8:05pm

brynpoeth wrote:Plus Two, I just subscribed
Please to post photos too, are you learning Cornish?

Maybe, sometime. It seems I have met rather more of them than when last I was living here. 30 years ago everyone here seemed to be from Kent !
Current status report:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Aug 2019, 5:08am

Mental arithmetic..
Paulatic is 24 h from Lands End, if you are 90 minutes from LE you must almost be in England :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

peetee

Postby peetee » 22 Aug 2019, 8:48am

OP post:
Been here 5 days now and managed a couple of 4 or 5 mile rides with a mixture of road and off-road, mainly hardpacked gravel. First thing that strikes me is that, despite still feeling like I am a cyclist (bikes still feel right and I haven't aged into a gnarly, wizened, stiff and rusty husk) the power my legs can produce must be a quarter of what it was. Every, and I mean every upward gradient is immediately obvious and has a drastic effect on my speed. It's impossible to find an easy route from here - 10% inclines are common and steeper almost inevitable on any route somewhere. I am thinking of popping the bike in the car and driving somewhere so I can start a ride with at least 3 miles of level road to give my legs time to warm up - something I always appreciated even when I was at my fittest. Back then I was 25% lighter too and coped with a bottom gear of 42-23. Now I am struggling, eyeball out, on 30-25. :oops:
Nevertheless, I am still a stubborn old bugger and will stick to my mantra that no hill will ever beat me. My goal for this time next week is to climb Portreath hill, 10% for 85m elevation. I competed on that 30 years ago, it's in my TT diary somewhere, so I will compare times and let you know how I got on. It will make a perfect benchmark for my road to re(dis)covery. :D
Current status report:

peetee

Postby peetee » 8 Sep 2019, 12:59pm

Now completed 5 rides and living to tell the tale. Good news is that by using the old, non-scientific method of 'guessing' I am reasonably confident that my health is ok and a careful and measured approach to training should get me fit again. Yesterday I felt confident enough to try Portreath, the local 300+ foot climb that, 30 years ago, I was tackling on a 60" gear and completed then in around 3 minutes - my cycling diary records this accurately but is hidden in the pile of boxes that passes for my living room. This time round I was very quickly into 1st (32" gear) and my time was 6:12. I wasn't expecting any more and it's a good benchmark for the days ahead.
Time and strength aside what I have lost in the intervening years is the ability to instantly change tempo and 'give it some'. There is nothing there, it's as if the fuse on that circuit is gone. My body just wants to do steady effort.
Last edited by peetee on 8 Sep 2019, 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current status report:

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 8 Sep 2019, 6:29pm

Hi Peetee, Just remember the downside of being retired, from now on you never get a day off! TTFN MM

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Sep 2019, 6:38pm

brynpoeth wrote: ............. if you are 90 minutes from LE you must almost be in England :wink:
We're a couple of hours by car from LE and a good day's cycle ride. We can see England from the back door and we're guarding the border from the marauding English hordes.

peetee wrote:......... everyone here seemed to be from Kent !
DFLs
Down from London. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall