The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Poor Old Harry or Andy

Post by mercalia »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... GTUK_email

What is the chance of the US of A putting in an extradition request for Andy Pandy and idicting him and putting him in the clink? Thats one story that might push Brexit from centre stage? Would certainly finish off the Queen?

[youtube]NxCKELNKFlQ[/youtube]

were it some other tom dick or harry an arrest warrent would have been made long before now? seems like being a prince gives you a dont go to jail card?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2019/aug/29/is-there-a-way-out-of-the-epstein-mess-prince-andrew-hasnt-put-his-fat-finger-on-it?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA4MzA%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

What is the chance of the US of A putting in an extradition request for Andy Pandy and idicting him and putting him in the clink? Thats one story that might push Brexit from centre stage? Would certainly finish off the Queen?

[youtube]NxCKELNKFlQ[/youtube]

were it some other tom dick or harry an arrest warrent would have been made long before now? seems like being a prince gives you a dont go to jail card?

When I was a tiny bairn, 169 years ago,I was give a Triang tricycle, that I loved. I pedalled it incessantly around the large cooncil hoose green and back lanes whilst singing the Andy Pandy song at the top of my sweet little falsetto. How the neighbours were charmed!

Andy Pandy's coming to play
Tral-la-la-la lah-lah.

Little did I realise that this was an obvious memetic harpoon designed by the cunning lefties of the BBC to induce that royal prince into "playing" in a most egregious manner. If I'd known, I would have sung the theme from Muffin the Mule insted - although that is a sexyool offense in Georgia, I believe (muffin' the mule, of the horse, not singing).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Remember jack a nory, what is behind the square window, the arched window, the round window?
The flowerpot persons
Fireman Sam!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The sooner this country wakes up to the fact we don’t need to be lorded over by the upper class, the better, I don’t wish them any harm but the French had the right idea.
And just remember they are only there because their ancestors either murdered or slept with their cousins too get there.
NUKe

Post by Ben@Forest »

NUKe wrote:The sooner this country wakes up to the fact we don’t need to be lorded over by the upper class, the better, I don’t wish them any harm but the French had the right idea.
And just remember they are only there because their ancestors either murdered or slept with their cousins too get there.

No European country bans marriage between first cousins (or therefore cousins more removed) although there is evidence of a slightly higher risk of abnormality or disability in their offspring. There are relatively high numbers of first cousin marriages in Asian populations in the UK.

Interestingly about half of US states do prohibit marriage between first cousins so despite stereotypical depictions of backward and inbred rednecks perhaps they're less inbred than Europeans.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The crowned heads of Europe were pretty interbred and quite apart from a striking similarity of looks between them there was also a pretty nasty congenital blood sickness there.

Some US states still permit the marriage of minors.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The Hapsburg Jaw is a famous royal hereditary deformity spread by inbreeding.

It is believed that the Habsburg Jaw originated in a family of Polish royals, and the first person to have been known to have it was Maximilian I, a Holy Roman Emperor who ruled from 1486 to 1519. Many portraits of this monarch feature a pronounced underbite.
Through generations of royals marrying each other and therefore closing the ranks of their gene pools, the Habsburg Jaw manifested itself just about everywhere in Medieval Europe. The House of Habsburg, which is named after the Habsburg Castle in Switzerland, is associated with the Habsburg Jaw because so many of its members had it.
Charles II, the last Spanish Habsburg, was feeble-minded and physically deformed as a direct result of his limited gene pool. His ancestor, Joanna of Castile, actually appears in his family tree no less than fourteen times because of first and second cousins intermarrying. It is said that Charles II's genetic makeup was more muddled than it would have been if his parents had been brother and sister.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/The-Habsburg-Jaw-And-Other-Royal-Inbreeding-Deformities-and-Disorders

I do not know whether the Saxe-Coburg Gothas had problems, but the royal insistence on only marrying other royals seems a bit risky.
Victoria and Albert were cousins and third cousins once removed.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mike Sales wrote:The Hapsburg Jaw is a famous royal hereditary deformity spread by inbreeding.

I do not know whether the Saxe-Coburg Gothas had problems, but the royal insistence on only marrying other royals seems a bit risky.
Victoria and Albert were cousins and third cousins once removed.

They had no problem with fecundity, they had 9 children, none of whom had serious physical problems. I don't think any died of conditions that weren't prevalent of the time or of their class (i.e. eating too much because they could). One lived till her 90s.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote:
They had no problem with fecundity, they had 9 children, none of whom had serious physical problems. I don't think any died of conditions that weren't prevalent of the time or of their class (i.e. eating too much because they could). One lived till her 90s.

Did not suggest they did have problems. It is an interesting sign of royal mating habits though.
Reading the link to the Habsburgs does suggest it would be no bad thing to widen their gene pool by marrying a few plebs.
The article linked to gives a fair understanding.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A number had hemophilia. I seem to recall some died of it. It was even call the 'Royal disease'.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:A number had hemophilia. I seem to recall some died of it. It was even call the 'Royal disease'.

Haemophilia acquired the name the royal disease due to the high number of descendants of Queen Victoria afflicted by it. The first instance of haemophilia in the British Royal family occured on the birth of Prince Leopold on 7th April, 1853, Leopold was the fourth son and eighth child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. No earlier occurence of the disease in the Royal family had been known, it is assumed that a mutation occured in the sperm of the Queen's father, Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent.

http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/haemophilia.html
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:A number had hemophilia. I seem to recall some died of it. It was even call the 'Royal disease'.

Did any of their children have it? I know it was prevalent in European royal families at the time but can't see that in their children having just googled it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote:

Did any of their children have it? I know it was prevalent in European royal families at the time but can't see that in their children having just googled it.

The link I posted says that their son Leopold had haemophilia, and also a family tree which details the descendants affected.
The Prussian royal family was affected, and the Romanovs famously suffered. The Tsarevich's bleeding episodes and Rasputin's supposed ability to cure them are well known.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

So is a ginger UK prince marrying a US mixed-race non-royal a good thing?

I merely seek information ...
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mattheus wrote:So is a ginger UK prince marrying a US mixed-race non-royal a good thing?

I merely seek information ...

If you run private hire executive jets it's great!