Things you have done.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Things you have done.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

250 km cycled in a day
Easy country mind, Eryri, nearly half the time one is going downhill :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Broken the heads of both radii at the same time.Try wiping your bum afterwards!!! :cry:P.S.much as I would like to say I fell off the crux of the Hinterstoisser Traverse on the Eiger,I actually fell off a greasy boulder behind Elterwater Y.H.A ,waiting for it to open. :(
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

How about losing an artificial eye on the Bowland Fells whilst wild camping.I,d wrapped it in a pair of shorts--wasn,t there in the morning?I even returned with my uncle and a sieve,no luck.If anybody finds it,maybe downstréam,possibly a long way,in fact probably out to sea by now,it was 1970 !
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Topper? Bottomer?
I was stopped by the police for driving abnormally slowly, quite proud of that :wink:
Never been stopped for going too fast, mind

So i'm better than all of you that have a speeding conviction !! .... Topper .... see what i mean .... :D

I recently attended a Speed Awareness Course !
A friend and I were followed by two Stasi in East Berlin.

John.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

cyclop wrote:How about losing an artificial eye on the Bowland Fells whilst wild camping.I,d wrapped it in a pair of shorts--wasn,t there in the morning?I even returned with my uncle and a sieve,no luck.If anybody finds it,maybe downstréam,possibly a long way,in fact probably out to sea by now,it was 1970 !

It may have been confiscated by The Duke of Westminster's gamekeeper, as some sort of threat to a pheasant. Only one kind of pheasant-threatening is allowed up there, at a few thousand quids per pop!

It wasn't there when I was last riding through, anyway. I would've seen it. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Brought children into this world ... :D
Taken other peoples children out of this world ......

It marks you .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I was stopped by the police for driving abnormally slowly, quite proud of that :wink:

Proud?
That is far more dangerous than going fast :roll:
BTW you cannot go too fast.Speed is good.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

100%JR wrote:

Proud?

"I feel the need ... the need for speed" ...... 8)

My fastest ... 840mph ( as a mach) low over the Med in a Phantom F4J (UK) 74 SQN ... the day they flew the Engineers ... RAF Akrotiri ... I greyed out in the turn and wet myself ... Amazing experience ..... :lol: :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Cugel wrote:
cyclop wrote:How about losing an artificial eye on the Bowland Fells whilst wild camping.I,d wrapped it in a pair of shorts--wasn,t there in the morning?I even returned with my uncle and a sieve,no luck.If anybody finds it,maybe downstréam,possibly a long way,in fact probably out to sea by now,it was 1970 !

It may have been confiscated by The Duke of Westminster's gamekeeper, as some sort of threat to a pheasant. Only one kind of pheasant-threatening is allowed up there, at a few thousand quids per pop!

Cugel
Perhaps it was taken by a Bower bird,having been blown off course and decided to settle in the Bowland fells.
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

The only topper I know of is this....

Image[url=https://fl
Attachments
topper 2.jpg
topper 2.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

cyclop wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel
Perhaps it was taken by a Bower bird,having been blown off course and decided to settle in the Bowland fells.

Another definite possibility is that it was found and stolen by Brennands, who even now are worshiping it at "the centre of Britain".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennand_Farm

Long ago I visited Brennand Farm with Farmer Drinkall, to return the wander-sheep that had got over the fell top to Marshaw. Brennands lived at Brennand Farm and had done for centuries, or so said The Drinkall. It was a queer experience, to go there in the late 60s. It was then a remote-feeling place, known only to the locals. One cast a nervous glance here and there for the wicker cage or bonfire as silent Brennands took back their sheep with a suspicious glower.

Anyroadup, it wouldn't surprise me to find a small altar there, at the back of a shippon, with your eye in pride of place and a hessian sack-clothed worshipper knelt muttering in Old Norse.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:

Proud?

You are a droll troll, I must say!

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Brennands Farm? Wrong again Cugel, Haltwhistle is the center of Britain, or Maybe Meriden or Center Parcs
London is of course the centre of Englandshire
Llandrindod is the centre of Cymru!
(Shrewsbury has a claim too, mind)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Cugel wrote:
cyclop wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Another definite possibility is that it was found and stolen by Brennands, who even now are worshiping it at "the centre of Britain".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennand_Farm
You,ll never guess what I found on the cockleshell beach at Kippford,solway firth,this afternoon.
P1010119.JPG

Long ago I visited Brennand Farm with Farmer Drinkall, to return the wander-sheep that had got over the fell top to Marshaw. Brennands lived at Brennand Farm and had done for centuries, or so said The Drinkall. It was a queer experience, to go there in the late 60s. It was then a remote-feeling place, known only to the locals. One cast a nervous glance here and there for the wicker cage or bonfire as silent Brennands took back their sheep with a suspicious glower.

Anyroadup, it wouldn't surprise me to find a small altar there, at the back of a shippon, with your eye in pride of place and a hessian sack-clothed worshipper knelt muttering in Old Norse.

Cugel
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Look what I found today on the cockleshell beach at Kippford.
P1010119.JPG
Definitely my eye,a bit faded but hey,you would be after 50yrs at sea. :wink: