Ever been stopped at security at the ferry port?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver

Ever been stopped at security at the ferry port?

Post by iandriver »

Last Friday while heading to checking for the ferry at Dover, myself and my two friends were waved into the security check area at Dover. The one to check if you have illegal items such as knives or guns.

The look on the faces of the people doing the search was pretty priceless ( bemused, what are we supposed to do with bicycles, why did the idiot wave these in here kind of looks).

They put our hand baggage (contents, 1 passport, 1 wallet, 1 phone) , not our panniers, through the scanner and waved us off. Had to laugh.

I got the impression it's pretty unusual. Is this a one off, or has anyone actually had to put all their panniers through the scanner, or been stopped?
I should imagine some of the more international travellers in far flung places have had some interesting border stops.

(No Brexit comments please, that's a different thread :D )
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Psamathe

Re: Ever been stopped at security at the ferry port?

Post by Psamathe »

Every time departing UK on my bike, which has always been at Portsmouth. Security have stopped all cyclists and do what must be the most stupid security check on the planet. They say they need to check one of your panniers and that you should chose one and take it in to their x-ray machine. So you chose the one that does not contain your ..... and no problems. How daft unless all your panniers are stuffed full of illegal drugs you chose the one that has only legal stuff, and they call it security.

Initially I thought it was an "access the person" exercise to watch how you react and then work out if you need a closer check but they can do that without bothering to x-ray anything - just ask you a few questions and judge your reaction. It would make sense if they said "chose a pannier" but then they x-rayed the other pannier but no, you get to select which piece of luggage they scan.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I was once waved over into one of those car bays.
"Got any gear" said the customs man, no doubt hoping to catch me out!
My first thought was that he was talking about my derailleurs.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Yes once long time ago when a kid did a short stay to Paris. Came back and they had to rummage through my sack of dirty clothes and underwear. Rather embarrassing as then just called out of line while all the other pasengers looked on. :shock: :lol: :oops:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I don't (yet) have any amusing anecdotes, but I was warned recently that some ports/routes are now checking bikes more carefully:

The issue was with tools (i.e. pen-knives really); you can leave such things in your car, but not on the bike as they may now search the bike and/or luggage - this was on England-> Spain ferry (not sure if Santander or Bilbao?)

I need to know more details of this by October!

(friend solved it by taping tools under his saddle out of sight).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

mattheus wrote:I don't (yet) have any amusing anecdotes, but I was warned recently that some ports/routes are now checking bikes more carefully:

The issue was with tools (i.e. pen-knives really); you can leave such things in your car, but not on the bike as they may now search the bike and/or luggage - this was on England-> Spain ferry (not sure if Santander or Bilbao?)

I need to know more details of this by October!

(friend solved it by taping tools under his saddle out of sight).

The picture he showed me asking if I had anything like this was pictures of Rambo style knives and things like that. I'd be surprised if Swiss army knife or multi tool was a problem. They didn't ask to see any tools at all.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Thanks Ian.

(which route was that on? This year?)
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandriver wrote:Last Friday while heading to checking for the ferry at Dover, myself and my two friends were waved into the security check area at Dover. [...]
They put our hand baggage (contents, 1 passport, 1 wallet, 1 phone) , not our panniers, through the scanner and waved us off. Had to laugh.

I got the impression it's pretty unusual. Is this a one off, or has anyone actually had to put all their panniers through the scanner, or been stopped?

I was stopped at Dover 2018. They seemed to know what they were doing and I was made to walk through one of those Eurostar-style red/green light arches. No bags attached to the bike were scanned, nor the bike. One bag contained tools but no knives. Seemed odd to me (all panniers could have been stuffed with explosives) but maybe they were looking for something specific.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mattheus wrote:Thanks Ian.

Portsmouth->Ouistreham (UK departure). Both last year and this year (a few months ago) - exactly the same both times.

But it's no problem. Does not delay you much and you've plenty of time anyway. You don't have to unpack anything, they just x-ray your chosen pannier. No queues for the x-ray machine

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

Some years ago we came into Poole from a weekend in France. We were directed away from the foot passengers and to the front of the vehicle queue and directed towards a large covered area. We arrived there first without a sole to be seen so just rode straight through on the tandem and out the exit, when out attention was drawn to someone running and shouting but too far away to interpret. We decided that as we were already on the main road we would just put the hammer down and keep going. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Last weekend, Dover -> Dunkirque
Joust rode straight through a month ago for Harwich -> Hook of Holland.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Yes at Harwich a few years ago. Luckily they asked Mrs T whether she had anything dangerous and not me as the sharp knives were in my front paniers and the meths in a bottle on my bike. :D :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

iandriver wrote:

Last weekend, Dover -> Dunkirque
Joust rode straight through a month ago for Harwich -> Hook of Holland.

Sounds like it's now like airports - you never know what you're gonna get!

(Dover-Dunk was my last trip with the bike - in 2017. Straight through then too.)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Must be 15 years ago...we had a club run over in Northern Ireland with Belfast CTC. Cycling back onto the ferry at Cairnryan our Secretary was pulled over for a search. He had a large size Carradice saddlebag carrying all sorts of unnecessary items which might come in useful. Oh how we laughed at the thought of what the search would find. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, several times. And, by the HM Customs cutters in our yacht whilst approaching Weymouth and the Solent. But, that was before the present wave of illegal immigration. There are not enough resources now.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......