Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 35899
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 10:51am

Story;
I recently sold an item on the For Sale board to a forum member.
It was sold clearly stated as used/secondhand but good condition.
The item new would've cost £72,and was advertised for £20 posted,which cost me £4.80 to post,so a net income of £15.20
On receipt of the item the buyer complained that the item was damaged and demanded a refund,it had two small 15mm long tears in the lining which were in an unnoticable out of the way place that didn't affect the item's use or it's waterproof outer outer layer and so were only cosmetic.
He also claimed that the fixing straps* had been 'cut short',which was an outright lie as they were the same length as when the item was bought new.

I carefully and as tactfully as I could informed him that the straps* had NOT been 'cut short' and that the small lining tears were wear and tear,which was to be expected for a s/hand item advertised in good condition.

He persued a claim against me through PayPal to which PayPal found,rightly so in my favour,due to his lack of communication with them.

What's the point of this post?

What do people expect when buying used s/hand at less than a third the price new ?

Why tell outright lies in order to try and back up their spurious claims?

Yes I know it's all small potatoes,but it isn't about the money,it's about integrity

*The hook and loop straps wrapped around a frame tube with 100mm circumferance with almost half again of an overlap.I checked with the item's manufacturers who sell spare straps which come in a standard 125mm length.
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Aug 2019, 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 10:54am

My opinion Good condition does not include TEARS

Whilst you may post here out of annoyance there is only ONE post here, yours, I can't comment on the rest as there are always THREE sides to the truth the sellers the buyers and the reality

IF there were tears they should have been stated even if only to cover the seller

I speak from experience with perfect feedback on all sales

Image1.jpg
Last edited by skyhawk on 25 Aug 2019, 10:59am, edited 2 times in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

PH
Posts: 7495
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby PH » 25 Aug 2019, 10:55am

I've had one complaint about a sale - refunded the money, paid the postage, told them to send it back. Life's too short.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Aug 2019, 11:00am

skyhawk wrote:My opinion Good condition does not include TEARS

Whilst you may post here out of annoyance there is only ONE post here, yours, I can't comment on the rest as there are always THREE sides to the truth the sellers the buyers and the reality

IF there were tears they should have been stated even if only to cover the seller

I speak from experience with perfect feedback on all sales

Image1.jpg

Stop shouting!

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 11:00am

PH wrote:I've had one complaint about a sale - refunded the money, paid the postage, told them to send it back. Life's too short.



A1 100%, in fact on a few occasions I have said KEEP it and refunded and received great feedback because of that alone
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 11:01am

Bonefishblues wrote:Stop shouting!


Hahaha SORRY
Last edited by skyhawk on 25 Aug 2019, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Aug 2019, 11:01am

skyhawk wrote:Hahaha SORRY

:D

reohn2
Posts: 35899
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 11:02am

skyhawk wrote:My opinion Good condition does not include TEARS

Whilst you may post here out of annoyance there is only ONE post here, yours, I can't comment on the rest as there are always THREE sides to the truth the sellers the buyers and the reality

Sorry but I disagree with that there's only one.Reality.

IF there were tears they should have been stated even if only to cover the seller

That I can only agree with,but what do you then call wear and tear of a secondhand item?
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Aug 2019, 11:12am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 35899
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 11:11am

skyhawk wrote:
PH wrote:I've had one complaint about a sale - refunded the money, paid the postage, told them to send it back. Life's too short.



A1 100%, in fact on a few occasions I have said KEEP it and refunded and received great feedback because of that alone


I don't agree with that as it leaves the seller wide open to abuse by unscrupulous win,win buyers.
We could,as buyers,all play that game.
Integrity or the lack of it is the point of the post,which seems to be passing us by.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11011
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby brynpoeth » 25 Aug 2019, 11:11am

Three versions, at least I think

When describing a used item one should try to exaggerate so the buyer is pleasantly surprised to find it in better condition than expected
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 11:14am

brynpoeth wrote:Three versions, at least I think

When describing a used item one should try to exaggerate so the buyer is pleasantly surprised to find it in better condition than expected


You mean unexaggerated or restrained surely
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 11:17am

reohn2 wrote:
skyhawk wrote:
PH wrote:I've had one complaint about a sale - refunded the money, paid the postage, told them to send it back. Life's too short.



A1 100%, in fact on a few occasions I have said KEEP it and refunded and received great feedback because of that alone


I don't agree with that as it leaves the seller wide open to abuse by unscrupulous win,win buyers.
We could,as buyers,all play that game.
Integrity or the lack of it is the point of the post,which seems to be passing us by.


No, as a long time seller I haven't explained fully, you post as many images as possible, tell 100% the facts but do not make the item appear worse than it is, be 100% honest don't miss out tears or damage etc, always post signed for and I always photograph it being packed and send those images, of course I wouldn't do it every time but if an item is a few pounds it isn't worth the bad feedback
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 11:19am

reohn2 wrote:
skyhawk wrote:My opinion Good condition does not include TEARS

Whilst you may post here out of annoyance there is only ONE post here, yours, I can't comment on the rest as there are always THREE sides to the truth the sellers the buyers and the reality

Sorry but I disagree with that there's only one.Reality.

IF there were tears they should have been stated even if only to cover the seller

That I can only agree with,but what do you then call wear and tear of a secondhand item?


No, if one had been 100% factual then tears would have been told about, by not stating them it creates dis belief in anything else said, that is fact. If I bought something that was supposed to be good condition and found tears then it was a lie

Wear and tear, scuffing, colour fading, abrasion, not tears or cuts see my ebay feedback image on 1,600 items, honesty pays
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 11:25am

I had one French buyer ( by the way my ebay is as an individual not a shop) who bought a used samsung video camera from me, HE lied to ebay for a refund saying it didn't, work and wow did he call me things, con man, thief etc. He left rude negative feedback, I was told to refund. I did.

When it came back I didn't let it rest I used it to make a video in a mirror showing it 100% working, he also said that "when he charged it it didn't work" then went on to say he never got a charger with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent the video to ebay and his comments were removed, I received a full refund and sold the camera again :) :) :)
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

reohn2
Posts: 35899
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 11:28am

skyhawk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
skyhawk wrote:My opinion Good condition does not include TEARS

Whilst you may post here out of annoyance there is only ONE post here, yours, I can't comment on the rest as there are always THREE sides to the truth the sellers the buyers and the reality

Sorry but I disagree with that there's only one.Reality.

IF there were tears they should have been stated even if only to cover the seller

That I can only agree with,but what do you then call wear and tear of a secondhand item?


No, if one had been 100% factual then tears would have been told about, by not stating them it creates dis belief in anything else said, that is fact. If I bought something that was supposed to be good condition and found tears then it was a lie

NO it wasn't a lie it was an oversight on my part,and I take issue with being called a liar!
The clue is in the term secondhand,secondhand means used which = wear and tear with use.I hardly call two small tears that don't detract from the use or performance to be something worthy of refund claims IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.