Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: Unreasonable expectations,and outright lies.

Postby RickH » 25 Aug 2019, 11:44am

reohn2 wrote:That I can only agree with,but what do you then call wear and tear of a secondhand item?

It may be a good idea to describe any flaws that may be found on inspection (wear marks, discolouration, tears, repairs, tec.) even if they aren't ones that are obvious in use (when wearing, in the case of clothing). Or at least a description such as "Outer good condition some wear on the lining". The more accurately you describe things (or even post photos) the less likelihood of any comeback from a buyer.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 25 Aug 2019, 11:52am

hi
I've been on eBay since 2002.
I have over 2000 positive hundred percent feedback.
But that doesn't make me perfect.
I don't like leaving negative feedback even when it's deserved, I think long and hard on that one.
if I sell an item and I think there is some marks or wear whatever, I normally try and show the worst in a picture.
Pictures don't always show the condition well, I have found that I am pleasantly surprised and sometimes disappointed, swings and roundabouts.
If you look carefully at feedback Of seller you sometimes find a negative feedback has been left simply because the buyer did not like the colour?
no one is perfect, anyone that professes to be is not human, compromise is sometimes easier than confrontation..
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 25 Aug 2019, 11:56am

reohn2 wrote:NO it wasn't a lie it was an oversight on my part,and I take issue with being called a liar!
The clue is in the term secondhand,secondhand means used which = wear and tear with use.I hardly call two small tears that don't detract from the use or performance to be something worthy of refund claims IMO.

Please don’t get upset, comments are here to help you.

I’ve bought and sold quite a few items on eBay and would recommend Skyhawk’s way of doing business. Some sellers are not honest and I’ve had to pursue claims against them, but in my experience the vast majority of sellers and buyers are good folk. Some purchasers have unrealistic expectations and so I try to be very careful with descriptions and, as best I can, point out in detail any faults. Some purchasers are also con artists, but by putting the correct measures in place you can mostly protect yourself from them.

Some second hand items are as new and some purchasers expect all second hand items to be as new and still cost them next to nothing to buy, some purchasers don’t have realistic expectations and as a seller it’s in your best interest to manage expectations. In this case you knew of the tears and it would have been best if you had let the buyer know of them. I agree with you about the buyer’s expectations being unrealistic, but in my experience it’s always better to let the buyer make what they feel to be a fully informed purchase - something that is trivial or unimportant to you might be the reverse for somebody else.

For what it’s worth if you had an item for sale that I wanted then there would be no question in my mind about you being an honest seller, if the price was right (for me) then I’d be contacting you and then sending you my money. Your buyer got what most folk would regard as a bargain.
Last edited by Carlton green on 25 Aug 2019, 12:17pm, edited 4 times in total.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 25 Aug 2019, 12:08pm

Hi,
I would just like to point out that I have bought items off R2 :)
And as per usual on here not eBay, most sellers sell at a loss as I do, all my purchases on the forum have been bargains for sure.
I just wish I could sell more items if I had the time.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

pete75

Postby pete75 » 25 Aug 2019, 1:05pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I've bought items R2 has advertised here and he's bought stuff I've advertised here.
These transactions have been good in all respects.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 1:33pm

Carlton green wrote:
reohn2 wrote:NO it wasn't a lie it was an oversight on my part,and I take issue with being called a liar!
The clue is in the term secondhand,secondhand means used which = wear and tear with use.I hardly call two small tears that don't detract from the use or performance to be something worthy of refund claims IMO.

Please don’t get upset, comments are here to help you.

That help doesn't extend to being called a liar by someone on this thread,which casts untruthful aspersions upon my character.

....... Some sellers are not honest and I’ve had to pursue claims against them, but in my experience the vast majority of sellers and buyers are good folk. Some purchasers have unrealistic expectations and so I try to be very careful with descriptions and, as best I can, point out in detail any faults. Some purchasers are also con artists, but by putting the correct measures in place you can mostly protect yourself from them

I totally agree.

Some second hand items are as new and some purchasers expect all second hand items to be as new and still cost them next to nothing to buy,

That seems to be the case in this instance.

some purchasers don’t have realistic expectations and as a seller it’s in your best interest to manage expectations

TBH I sincerely thought I had in describing the item as used and in good condition rather than very good condition.

In this case you knew of the tears and it would have been best if you had let the buyer know of them. I agree with you about the buyer’s expectations being unrealistic, but in my experience it’s always better to let the buyer make what they feel to be a fully informed purchase - something that is trivial or unimportant to you might be the reverse for somebody else

The tears,small as they were and in such a place as not to snag on any contents,seemed not worth a mention,but I take your point and as I posted,it was more of an oversight on my part than anything,and IMHO comes under unreasonable expectations.
It was the downright dishonesty of claiming the straps were 'cut short' that incensed me,especially when I know 100% they weren't but because the bag wasn't in my possession any longer and the buyer may have been in possession of a pair of scissors I can't prove otherwise.

For what it’s worth if you had an item for sale that I wanted then there would be no question in my mind about you being an honest seller, if the price was right (for me) then I’d be contacting you and then sending you my money. Your buyer got what most folk would regard as a bargain.

Thanks,even if I say so myself,you'd be correct in that assumption.
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Aug 2019, 1:58pm, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 25 Aug 2019, 1:34pm

It probably pays to have pictures of any defects on the sale page or at least to say what the defects are so then the buyer can get back and you can send a picture?

The sellers here who had Ebay on their side were rather lucky as I was on the impression they tend to side with the buyer what ever. So good to know.

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 1:59pm

My car is second hand "in good" condition....................... My car is second hand (say no more) falling apart ???? :) :)

Listen when you started this "rant" did you expect 100% good feedback if you don't want comments that you don't like........don't post

Oh and whilst no one is calling you a liar people make "oversights" all the time in the hope they are not found out on sales sites ;)

Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 2:17pm

skyhawk wrote:My car is second hand "in good" condition....................... My car is second hand (say no more) falling apart ???? :) :)

Listen when you started this "rant" did you expect 100% good feedback if you don't want comments that you don't like........don't post

Oh and whilst no one is calling you a liar people make "oversights" all the time in the hope they are not found out on sales sites ;)

You are accusing me again mister and I don't like it.GET IT?

I didn't start this thread expecting to be called a liar,but some dialog and discussion on buying and selling,what's to be expected when buying secondhand.
You seem to be happy accusing people out of hand,people you don't know,of lying.
I DON'T lie,nor do I need to lie to sell something worth no more than a round of drinks,to sell items on the forum.I care more about the forum and it's members than you obviously do!
FWIW through PayPal I offered a full refund to the buyer but due to his lack of comms he didn't take up that offer.
What does that tell you?
I cycle therefore I am.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 25 Aug 2019, 4:02pm

Girls! Something is getting in a twist!. :-)

Cugel, being naughty.

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 5:03pm

Take a powder :)

Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 25 Aug 2019, 5:04pm

Cugel wrote:Girls! Something is getting in a twist!. :-)

Cugel, being naughty.

:) :) :)

sjs

Postby sjs » 25 Aug 2019, 6:08pm

pete75 wrote:

I've bought items R2 has advertised here and he's bought stuff I've advertised here.

I bought a good solid hybrid bike from R2 for my daughter's use. It is entirely as described, is exactly what she needed, and has the extra magical properties needed to have remained un-stolen in Cambridge for a year or two.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 6:50pm

skyhawk wrote:Listen when you started this "rant" did you expect 100% good feedback if you don't want comments that you don't like........don't post

Take a powder :)

I'll ignore your posts if you afford me the same privilege.
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 Aug 2019, 6:52pm

sjs wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I bought a good solid hybrid bike from R2 for my daughter's use. It is entirely as described, is exactly what she needed, and has the extra magical properties needed to have remained un-stolen in Cambridge for a year or two.

I'm so glad she still enjoying riding it :)
I cycle therefore I am.