Bank holiday, are people mad

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
skyhawk

Bank holiday, are people mad

Post by skyhawk »

I have never ever gone away on a bank holiday, it would drive me insane anyway being Autistic but are people mad to be polite

What the hell do people want to go away like sheep for on a bank holiday, endless queues on the road, herds of emmets like sheep all following each other, arriving at over crowded beaches and sites with people with children who don't care about anyone other than themselves, stereos, screaming ball kicking gobby families, upsetting others who may want quiet, then back to traffic filled queues on roads only to go away another bank holiday weekend

Now that finally the screaming hoard are going back to school WE will go away, ahhhh the peace and quiet
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Bonefishblues

Re: Bank holiday, are people mad

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sometimes people are just making the best of the time they have - if we do travel on a BH, then it's early away, as early as I can get the family up.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve never understood the eagerness of people to become an actual part of the congestion and madness that often surrounds a BH.
I assume the people who do it can’t go to work or have nothing to do at home.
I think, when working, I worked every Easter and every BH after all it was double time in the good old days.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A good day to stay quietly at home
Besides, the weather is usually awful :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Hasn't it been this way ever since motor car transport became the norm? I clearly recall large queues going to popular seaside areas in the 1960s.

it did not make any difference to cyclists. We habitually went away just about every bank holiday. But of course we were not on the roads or in the areas that the motorists and families favoured. We would use youth hostels - the days when every YH user was self propelled.

These days - I let everybody else clog the place up while I stay at home. I went out for about 20 miles at 6.30 this morning while it was cool and peaceful.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Paulatic wrote:I’ve never understood the eagerness of people to become an actual part of the congestion and madness that often surrounds a BH.
I assume the people who do it can’t go to work or have nothing to do at home.
I think, when working, I worked every Easter and every BH after all it was double time in the good old days.

Remember it well and on the gas we would get a day off in lieu as well :D
Never ever found out where lieu was or indeed jeopardy if I ever needed a job :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Down here in rural Somerset I live about 25 miles from both channel coasts. I wouldn't dream of going there on a bank holiday. The rural roads around us have become quite busy with cyclists these last couple of days making the most of the good weather. Cyclists are outnumbering cars by 5 bikes to every car today. :wink:
Mrs Rjb has just gone out to do a voluntary stint at the North Curry community coffee shop, heaving with cyclists in all probability. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, Too Many Cyclists down there too :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The max distance I will go will be on Bank Holiday Monday take a trip to Ruislip Lido beach and paddle in the water
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

I am at home right now and live on a main(ish) road through llandysul, the silence is deafening

It is G R E A T I mean it the silence is amazing

fhstbvjnu.jpg
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I detect a serious meanness of spirit on this thread. Part of the popularity of BH weekends is being able to get away for three days, which is especially useful if your Mum/ Dad/ brother/ old school friend lives a five hour drive away. Yes the traffic might be appalling but three days makes a visit more practical.

Secondly a lot of events are scheduled for BH, whether that be cycle races (barely trying I've just found 6 this BH), triathlons, car rallies, air shows, battle re-enactments, food fairs......

I have to say being autistic is not an excuse for the tone of the original post of this thread.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ben@Forest wrote:I detect a serious meanness of spirit on this thread. Part of the popularity of BH weekends is being able to get away for three days, which is especially useful if your Mum/ Dad/ brother/ old school friend lives a five hour drive away. Yes the traffic might be appalling but three days makes a visit more practical.

Secondly a lot of events are scheduled for BH, whether that be cycle races (barely trying I've just found 6 this BH), triathlons, car rallies, air shows, battle re-enactments, food fairs......

I have to say being autistic is not an excuse for the tone of the original post of this thread.

Indeed - for many it's as away as they get, iyswim - and just as at Easter the weather out there's glorious. If we hadn't had sick parent duties we too might be out there.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

For all who were around in the 60s:

Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Talking of bank holidays .....................

They're moving the 2020 Early May BH to the following Friday! :shock: :shock:
Many millions of people knew nothing about this, including us.
Instead of being Monday May 4th, it's going to be Friday May 8th ........... all to do with the anniversary of VE Day.

Fetes, fairs, weddings, civic parades, bands, acts, festivals .................... all have been booked years in advance.
No doubt all these things will still go ahead, but it won't be a BH.

Also, diaries, calendars, notebooks, computer software ................ all going to be wrong.

Whoever decided this and why is all well and good, but a couple of years notice would have been better than less than a year.
VE Day was 1945, surely they could have made a decision years ago that the 75th anniversary was coming! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

skyhawk wrote:I am at home right now and live on a main(ish) road through llandysul, the silence is deafening

It is G R E A T I mean it the silence is amazing

fhstbvjnu.jpg

No one goes to Llandysmal if they can help it!

In fact, it gets in the way of a rather nice route I would like to ride from Lampeter to Cardigan via the Teifi side roads. There's no easy way to avoid Llandysul and those couple of roaring roads surrounding it. That Drefach Felindre gets in the way too, mind. I'll just have to go over the flank of Mynydd Llanllwni and up the heights over to the Cych valley. That's a trib of the Teifi which joins it at Abercych (where else). Then on to Cardi.

The descent into the Cych valley is a Bryn-frightener, though but. Down to Cwm Morgan on a green slime & gravel 1 in 5. Even better in Autumn, with added wet rot-leaf. I would expect to see 4 cars and 7 tractors along the whole route. On a bank holiday, the tractors will all be old Fergies going to a show, with old Ifors driving them (after a fashion).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes