Bank holiday, are people mad

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Bank holiday, are people mad

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Aug 2019, 7:20pm

Back to today. As usual for this particular BH, I pressure washed the patio and revarnished the shed. Mrs Ojw tidied up and cut back the plants.

A day well spent. No traffic. No queues.
John

Cycling and recycling

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 Aug 2019, 7:33pm

Picked 20lb of apples.
Did bike maintenance for both bikes.
Little bit of DIY in the livingroom.
Put the beef in a pot in a slow oven, Mrs Mick F did the rest.
Sorted out a secondhand electric Flymo and tested it out.
Walked the dog and then fed him.
Fed the parrot - she's preening on the top of her cage now.
Had three cans of Abbot Ale.
Ate beef, Yorkshire pud, green beans, carrots, spuds and gravy.

A day well spent. No traffic. No queues.

Glass of red wine ..............
Mick F. Cornwall

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Aug 2019, 9:06pm

I've never really thought if may day bank holiday being linked to workers. I've only linked it to traditional break for a fayre, dance, party and spring in full sway. It's a party holiday for as long as it's existed.

Wikipedia says it became linked to workers in the 19th century when some commie group chose that day to commemorate the workers. They could have chosen another date and that link would never have existed. Certainly the original may day was not linked to workers any more than he nobs in the big house. They all celebrated May day. Never danced round the maypole as a kid of primary school age at the fête? Or is this a rural thing only?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Aug 2019, 9:15pm

As to extra bank Holidays I have said this before and no doubt will say it again on another thread. No new bank Holidays please. Not unless it increases the statutory holidays from 28 to account for the extra date (s).

The simple reason is that a lot of people only get the statutory minimum number of paid holidays. That can include bank Holidays. You give us an extra day off on a certain date each year that comes straight out of the number of holidays that I get to choose the date of. So 20 electable days (4 weeks) becomes 19, 18 or less for each extra BH given to us. That drops electable days to less than 4 weeks. Suddenly its 3 weeks and a day or two here and there.

Then if your company operates a shutdown over day Xmas. Well suddenly you're down to less than 3 weeks with the extra BH they've decided to give us.

If any politician wants to give us something then increase the number of statutory holidays or ban companies counting bank holidays. That I think would really benefit the workers. Because bluntly put the workers, as opposed to the management, are the ones most likely on minimum holidays with Bank Holidays included in those. Management probably on more holidays.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Aug 2019, 9:37pm

Other countries including as Germany and France have more holidays and more bank holidays
Move abroad while you still can!

In trumpland people have much less holiday apparently :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 26 Aug 2019, 9:41pm

brynpoeth wrote:Other countries including as Germany and France have more holidays and more bank holidays

But as I said above, many French Bank Holidays happen on the day of the event they are for. So if one year that happens to be a sat or sun then most people effectively lose the Bank Holiday because they wont be working at the weekend anyway (reducing the effective number of Bank Holidays). Also if e.g. a wed then it becomes less useful for many as it gives them just one day off rather than next to a weekend making a 3 day break.

So comparisons on just numbers don't always work very well.

Ian

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Aug 2019, 9:46pm

The same in Germany, if it is a Saturday or Sunday there is no replacement, but even so there are more days off than in the UK, 30 days holiday plus BHs is common, sometimes even more
If a BH falls on a Thursday some employers gift the staff Friday too :wink:

RickH

Postby RickH » 26 Aug 2019, 10:52pm

Out on the tandem on Saturday around Chester we were heading back towards Chester along the Millenium Greenway approaching the bridge across Welsh Road (A494) about a mile from where it crosses the River Dee. Here is my (slightly tongue-in-cheek) appreciation of cycling on a sunny Bank Holiday weekend.

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Aug 2019, 7:24am

My Missus teaches, so we have no choice in the matter. We have to take our holidays during the school holidays, or not at all. But when it comes to Bank Holidays I do like to avoid the main seaside venues and go somewhere quieter. I am lucky in that if the weather is warm and we want to be on a beach we can walk to one. We have a choice of three main walking routes over farmland down to the Bristol Channel coast, averaging maybe a mile and a half each, and with next to no exposure to traffic. And no real crowds when we get there, maybe just a couple of dozen people. That would be my choice on a warm Bank Holiday.

But what are parents meant to do if the Bank Holiday comes, they have the gift of some time off work, and their children want to go to the seaside? If they don't live as close to a quiet beach as I do they are going to be drawn to seaside towns.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Aug 2019, 8:14am

I don't think all kids want to go to the seaside. Our son is happy playing at home, on his bike anywhere he can or in the lakes. The last one can be busy or quiet even on the BH weekends. If you know the place well enough, there's some very nice, quiet boltholes to go to.

The only issue is you might get stuck in traffic getting there if you're in traffic when others are. Change your travel time and it's not so bad. Plus knowledge of the lakes rat runs helps to avoid traffic at the busiest junctions (some can not be avoided so readily though).

But so what! You're sat in traffic. Suck it up and think of the fun you have when you're at your location. That is the key thing. Most people if they've picked the right place for them to go to have fun. They enjoy their BH break. And if you're one of the many who can't pick and choose their times away that fun can really recharge your batteries. That IMHO is not madness!

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 27 Aug 2019, 8:39am

Tangled Metal wrote: The only issue is you might get stuck in traffic getting there if you're in traffic when others are!

Great end to the bank holiday yesterday, a major crash resulting in motorists being stuck for a full four hours in a ten mile tailback :wink:

As I walked back from my ten mile round walk to the beach, it was pleasing to see all these motorists stuck and unable to advance or retreat :lol: . Empty roads, all traffic in the area effectively blocked (NB. Aside from myself, a pedestrian). The only individuals I felt sorry for, were the HGV drivers, working on a bank holiday to help us all

Though yet again, I note the reports on the crash from respectable media organzations, all refer to a XXXXXX having crashed into the cars involved, causing the crash :roll: . When will they learn that it's motorists who crash into others (Cyclists, cows, balloons, bales of hay et al rarely crash into motorists)

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 27 Aug 2019, 9:00am

RickH wrote:Out on the tandem on Saturday around Chester we were heading back towards Chester along the Millenium Greenway approaching the bridge across Welsh Road (A494) about a mile from where it crosses the River Dee. Here is my (slightly tongue-in-cheek) appreciation of cycling on a sunny Bank Holiday weekend.

That's a nice video, loved passing over the jammed road :D You can't beat small lanes on a bike.

Maybe this should start a thread of videos of peoples rides?

peetee

Postby peetee » 27 Aug 2019, 9:14am

My location is one of the worst parts of the country for holiday traffic. However, on Sunday with a bit of forward thinking, I rode for miles along near deserted trails and roads enjoying scenery, historic buildings, wildlife, flowers and a short stop at a quiet cafe. I saw about 20 vehicles none of which impeded my progress or reduced my enjoyment of the day.
It doesn't get much better than that.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 27 Aug 2019, 9:36am

Tangled Metal wrote:As to extra bank Holidays I have said this before and no doubt will say it again on another thread. No new bank Holidays please. Not unless it increases the statutory holidays from 28 to account for the extra date (s).

The simple reason is that a lot of people only get the statutory minimum number of paid holidays. That can include bank Holidays. You give us an extra day off on a certain date each year that comes straight out of the number of holidays that I get to choose the date of. So 20 electable days (4 weeks) becomes 19, 18 or less for each extra BH given to us. That drops electable days to less than 4 weeks. Suddenly its 3 weeks and a day or two here and there.

Then if your company operates a shutdown over day Xmas. Well suddenly you're down to less than 3 weeks with the extra BH they've decided to give us.

If any politician wants to give us something then increase the number of statutory holidays or ban companies counting bank holidays. That I think would really benefit the workers. Because bluntly put the workers, as opposed to the management, are the ones most likely on minimum holidays with Bank Holidays included in those. Management probably on more holidays.

You raise a good point. It makes "minimum statutory" a joke where mandatory days are deduced. Gov. should legislate that minimum statutory cannot include Bank Holidays.

And, after that I would agree that reducing the number of Bank Holidays and adding those days to minimum statutory would be a good idea.

Ian

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Aug 2019, 6:34pm

Ben@Forest wrote:I'm off to the Sunderland Museum of Glass today. I'll report back just how terrible it was to see other people there..... :wink:

Not spotted your report yet, I do hope you survived, is it not dangerous with so much glass? And expensive? What sort of visitors were there, and how many? Would you visit again?