Would you ever phone up Any Answers?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Would you ever phone up Any Answers?

Yes
6%
No
72%
Maybe
17%
Dont Know
6%

Total votes: 18

Tangled Metal

Re: Would you ever phone up Any Answers?

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Sep 2019, 9:07am

I thought the phone in is about entertainment if the listener through hearing the viewpoints of idiots who think their view is more important than anyone else's. Then you get to laugh at our shout at them about how wrong they are.

That's why i don't listen to then, they're pointless for information and I don't find listening to idiots spouting rubbish works as entertainment for me.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 6 Sep 2019, 7:44am

Tangled Metal wrote:That's why i don't listen to then, they're pointless for information and I don't find listening to idiots spouting rubbish works as entertainment for me.

Not always. On Any Answers sometimes a caller is a cardio-thoracic surgeon when the subject is smoking related heath or was stationed in Nothern Ireland at the time of Bloody Sunday or..... a good number of callers have better professional or inside knowledge than those who commented on them on Friday night.

I have been to an Any Questions and overall wasn't massively impressed by the panel's answers. Roy Hattersley was on the panel but only remember that because he went on about his dog, not because of any incisive wit or wisdom.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 6 Sep 2019, 8:20am

I guess it's a bit like prospecting for gold. You dig around for ages before you find a nugget. Personally I lump all those phone ins with the programmes on TV where groups of journos discuss the papers or matters if the day with the presenter.

Often the BBC puts two journos of opposite politics together repeatedly so they become kind of friends with a load of in jokes and subtext to what they say that viewers probably don't get since they don't know them.

I sometimes watch them and it really is just a bit of reality TV junk. Very little real insight into events just banter.

Off topic, does anyone find QT worth watching these days? Watched it for the first time in months last night and tbh it's changed since dimbleby. The chair kind of gets involved more rather than simply refereeing it. Last night I thought she spent too much time on her views / talking than simply directing the debate. Mind you they were a shower last night IMHO.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 6 Sep 2019, 8:34am

Tangled Metal wrote:Often the BBC puts two journos of opposite politics together repeatedly so they become kind of friends with a load of in jokes and subtext to what they say that viewers probably don't get since they don't know them.

Yes, it's true of politicians too. Many have friendships or relationships that transcend party politics, which is hardly surprising when you consider the number of committees, steering groups etc they may sit on.

It's why Laura Pidcock's statement was quite shocking when she made it - though she's been in Parliament a couple of years now - l wonder if she'd say it now?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 6 Sep 2019, 8:45am

Remind me what was her statement?

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 6 Sep 2019, 9:05am

Tangled Metal wrote:Remind me what was her statement?

She said she could never (or would never) be friends with a Tory. Which in a way is unremarkable if just work colleagues but what about the rest of life from women you might meet at an ante natal class to a couple on the same holiday to your Uncle Derek?

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 6 Sep 2019, 9:28am

Going back on thread I see only one person has said they would ring Any Answers. I haven't voted (never trust polls) but l been to both QT and AQ, asked a question on QT and wrote a question for AQ which didn't get selected (though the topic did).

It's odd that so so many with forthright opinions on here wouldn't ring AA, there are some good contributors on here, interesting just how important anonymity is to many.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 6 Sep 2019, 10:41am

Ben@Forest wrote:It's odd that so so many with forthright opinions on here wouldn't ring AA, there are some good contributors on here, interesting just how important anonymity is to many.

you're not talking about me there.
with the bilge I sometimes come out with (I'm not alone there) anonymity is a good idea!
:D

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 6 Sep 2019, 11:06am

Tangled Metal wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:It's odd that so so many with forthright opinions on here wouldn't ring AA, there are some good contributors on here, interesting just how important anonymity is to many.

you're not talking about me there.
with the bilge I sometimes come out with (I'm not alone there) anonymity is a good idea!
:D

Well said Steven.