SD Card Security

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: SD Card Security

Post by Psamathe »

Freddie wrote:Lol, I think that is a bit extreme, what thief is going to grab a NAS? Hiding drives too....I think you might need to talk to someone about all this. Seriously, multiple backups on the cloud (must be a program the can sync several accounts simultaneously) would be far better and more secure.

You would stop finding old hard drives down the back of the sofa then! :wink:

I don't know about NAS & theft but for continuous backups I use Apple's Time Capsules and in their flashy white boxes they look "Apple", look "expensive" and being easy to grab ....

It's about limited off-site places and leaving the house empty for 4+ months at a time. I actually only lose them when I hide in better places and go away for an extended time and have other things on my mind. Until recently totally disastrous ADSL (slow->not working most of the time). Plus I regard external disk drives as unreliable. One of mine (Seagate so mainstream manufacturer) only works if you position it correctly and don't touch it once it's going.

Data is pretty valuable and could easily be lost.

I've now got BT fibre which is better (except it's ADSL so slow uploading) but thinking about switching to FTTP through Country Broadband who are going to infest the village - but they don't seem able to answer questions in a timely manner!

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

I might consider cloud storage if it wasn't for our glacial broadband upload speed - around 0.5Mb/s :? The irony is that it was around 1Mb/s on plain ADSL. "Upgrading" to Fibre (FTTC) gave me a small download speed increase but halved my upload speed! :( I worked out, from the location of the cabinet, that the fibre part of the connection is probably only 1/3 of the total line length.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

RickH wrote:I might consider cloud storage if it wasn't for our glacial broadband upload speed - around 0.5Mb/s :? The irony is that it was around 1Mb/s on plain ADSL. "Upgrading" to Fibre (FTTC) gave me a small download speed increase but halved my upload speed! :( I worked out, from the location of the cabinet, that the fibre part of the connection is probably only 1/3 of the total line length.

Are you really that concerned about the upload speed?

All the cloud storage I've seen simply maps a folder(s) to the cloud.
So you just treat it like any other folder, copy your files into it and forget. Sooner or later they'll be synced but you generally don't care about how long it takes (within reason).