Doing my bit, washing at 30 degrees...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Freddie

Doing my bit, washing at 30 degrees...

Post by Freddie »

but the armpits on my clothes still whiff a little...Not sporting clothes mind, just everyday clothes.

Any suggestions as to what to do, rather than just wash them hotter? Make a paste of the washing powder and apply to affected areas?
Cugel

Re: Doing my bit, washing at 30 degrees...

Post by Cugel »

Freddie wrote:but the armpits on my clothes still whiff a little...Not sporting clothes mind, just everyday clothes.

Any suggestions as to what to do, rather than just wash them hotter? Make a paste of the washing powder and apply to affected areas?

Radical changes required!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ed-washing

Personally I wear the merino. Also, the ladywife must wrest my mucky clothes from me to wash them. But I yam a peasant whilst you may be a member of the muddle clarse.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Does seem a little extreme, Cugel. I know I can pong quite strongly if I don't wash for as few as two days.

Do you not wash then and only wear merino?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Last edited by reohn2 on 31 Aug 2019, 4:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/ ... t-60071585
Great stuff!
And lasts forever,I first bought a fist sized chunk of it from a Gypsy woman for €1 in Riva del Garda Italy about 20 years ago which became a walnut sized lump last year,slipped out of my hand and smashed in a million peices on the bathroom floor :?
Holland and Barrett came to the rescue.
Another tip to stop you smelling,don't eat red meat and your sweat smells sooo much sweeter :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Become a naturist :oops:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My washing machine is set to just cold water (i.e does not heat even to 30℃). I use the Ecover washing liquid and don't have any problems. I don't like the perfumed liquids (I assume you are using liquid detergent - can you even buy powders these days?)

Maybe try different washing liquids and check how hard the water is in your area.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Some of the usual tips, I've always done this so have no comparisons with not doing it. I do all my washing at 30:
Let the sweat dry before washing
Wash inside out
Don't use conditioner
Air dry
Ray

Post by Ray »

I wash my cycling stuff - almost all synthetic fibres - after every ride in a 20 min cycle at 30 degrees, using no detergent but 'Washing Balls' bought, I think, from Lakeland.
Lack of detergent makes repeated rinses unnecessary. . Clothes last for years. Cotton t-shirts, underwear, and everyday socks go in the machine, too. No whiff, no need to iron (slow spin helps).
Mostly darkish colours. Really grubby clothing, especially light colours, do need a bit of detergent occasionally, and maybe even 40 degrees.
Been doing this for many years now, saving a huge amount of energy and pollution of the drains. And money, of course.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you are using a liquid?
Take off the cap of liquid, turn shirt inside out turn armpit to face you in your hand, use other hand to place on armpit onto bottle with hand firmly closing off the opening, upturn the bottle, till fluid wets the shirt, turn bottle upright and remove shirt folding on its self, place in a mesh laundry bag, wash at 30, slow spin 600, don't leave the clothes in air in a cold place they will start to smell.
Dry in your lounge dry warm place on a hanger.

Failure to prime the armpits will result in smelly armpits after washing.
If you are not washing every time (I do not but every two uses normal 2.5 hour rides) after use, air hanging up don't leave screwed up and damp, otherwise they will smell of old socks next time you use.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Freddie wrote:Does seem a little extreme, Cugel. I know I can pong quite strongly if I don't wash for as few as two days.

Do you not wash then and only wear merino?

Our pong is made by microbes of various sorts living upon the skin. Other varieties cause no pong and the trick (apparently) is to get rid of the pongers and install the non-pong lads (or are they lasses). How to do this? I don't know but it's worth trying to find out.

I stopped using soap years ago, on the advice of a medical person who opined that many skin complaints, allergies and other minor irritations are due to over-soaping, perfuming and application of various other modern "cleansers". My skin does seem better if just rinsed rather than soaped. Less dry and so forth - perhaps due to the natural oils and their microbish inhabitants remaining in situ rather than getting dissolved by the soap.

Merino does seem to stop the development of the underarm (and other) stanks. Some materials of the artificial kind seem designed to induce stinkbug under the arms. I wear merino dogs, vest, socks, pullies and even long johns in the winter. These can be worn for more than one day without smelling - as long as one rinses one's sweaty body bits once or twice a day.

The ladywife launders stuff, though - low temperature and teeny amounts of non-bio simple soaps. Still, others manage to wash clothes with no soap at all. Here is another thing to try out.

One effect of washing machining is that modern clothes of the artificial kind then give off loadsa plastic microfibres, which get into the food chain. Apparently we all eat (and breath) these microfibres now as they are everywhere; and increasing.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Polyester .. shirts and t-shirts ... wash in cold ... clean and fresh ...
All my cycling shirts are polyester ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Talking about doing one's bit, I came across this on the Conservative Home website (don't ask :mrgreen: ):

For the holier than thou activists telling us how to live, here is a very short list of things they need to be doing before they preach to others.

The first tranche of simple rules for averting the climate crisis are: If you have to journey anywhere do it by bus, cycling, walking or train. Flying is a no no except in an extreme emergency-like attending a climate conference. I can’t emphasis enough how –unless you are a celeb-you should not even look at a plane, let alone think of travelling in one. Skiing holidays especially are totally forbidden, not that you would find any snow anyway. No bottled water in plastic bottles, especially imported stuff.

No imported food, food out of season or trucked in for miles when there is a local alternative. Little meat of any sort, a reduction in the modern fetish for showering every few hours, curtailment of buying throw away fashion clothes. Energy reduction will only succeed by way of a sharp reduction in the use of social media and smart phones need to be kept for longer than six months.

Only very infrequent infusions of habitat destroying coffee -often bought from chains evading taxes anyway- are allowed. Washing clothes using detergent is not acceptable and certainly not in anything more than tepid water. The list is endless. But if you are a climate activist they are things you will be doing anyway, they are the ‘low hanging fruit.’

I think it was meant tongue in cheek but actually I am doing more or less everything they suggested. It might be for Conservative Home contributors that all this is beyond the Pale. Anyway, looks like I can start preaching now!

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetor ... gners.html
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Someone said they wash stuff for 30 minutes. Is that enough? Maybe not for stuff youve cycled in all dar but for most stuff?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We do our washing with cold water, and on 30mins.
Never ever had an issue with stuff not being clean and fresh.

Used various detergent over the years.
Mick F. Cornwall