Why does Trump lie so much?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Why does Trump lie so much?

Postby Mike Sales » 10 Sep 2019, 6:00pm

Now Trump has sacked (it is spun as resignation) John Bolton, his third National Security Adviser to walk the plank.
Scaramucci, who served briefly as White House Communications Director, said the incessant sackings are because Trump hates himself, and anyone on his staff is at risk.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 10 Sep 2019, 6:10pm

Mike Sales wrote:....
Scaramucci, who served briefly as White House Communications Director, said the incessant sackings are because Trump hates himself, and anyone on his staff is at risk.

Whilst Scaramucci knows Trump far better than I do and whilst what he now says about Agent Orange confirms my own beliefs/opinions/prejudice, I have a deep mistrust of Mooch. Maybe it's because he was once spinning the line he is now so suddenly so critical of, maybe because he's written a "kiss-and-tell" book on Trump he wants to sell, maybe because talking of the madness gets him lots of media time.

I'm sure he [Moochy] is right but I can't believe him as a source.

Ian

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 10 Sep 2019, 6:23pm

Psamathe wrote:Whilst Scaramucci knows Trump far better than I do and whilst what he now says about Agent Orange confirms my own beliefs/opinions/prejudice, I have a deep mistrust of Mooch. Maybe it's because he was once spinning the line he is now so suddenly so critical of, maybe because he's written a "kiss-and-tell" book on Trump he wants to sell, maybe because talking of the madness gets him lots of media time.

I'm sure he [Moochy] is right but I can't believe him as a source.

Ian

True.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 10 Sep 2019, 8:28pm

Some Republican interviewed this evening claiming "He's a businessman, of course he fires people sometimes".

My time in business (at senior/director level incl in plc's) somebody recruiting and firing (or losing people) like Trump does would long ago have been taken out of the recruitment process. A clear sign he is a terrible assessor of people, terrible judgement.

Another person interviewed who was more balanced (so I assume not a Republican) was saying he'd heard Trump didn't have a clue about Bolton's politics but had enjoyed watching him on Fox TV and that was enough ...! They were also commenting that Trump is now likely to have problems finding somebody prepared to take the post; with the 1st holder in court pending sentence, 2nd pushed out after loads of public/Twitter abuse from Trump, 3rd now gone with arguments about resigned vs sacked any capable person would look for a job elsewhere.

Ian

Stradageek

Postby Stradageek » 11 Sep 2019, 7:52am

To quote H.L.Mencken (a journalist for the Baltimore Evening Sun on July 20th 1920)

“As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.”

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 11 Sep 2019, 10:05am

There's an interesting 3-part series running on the BBC at the moment describing the political machinations that brought Hitler to Power, followed by the various Nazi antics to consolidate that power by ridding itself of German democratic institutions, the rule of law and all the other adjuncts of a civilised society.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... 1-politics

One aspect concerns the various attitudes and behaviours of Hitler, as well as the mechanics of the processes used by those in his nazty klub to gain their own bit of status and power by manipulation of The Leader's many foibles. Hitler was very lazy, doing nothing much himself other than emitting long monologues in various meetings, which were closely observed by his underlings for clues about what sort of antic would please him - which antic they then went out to commit in the hope and expectation of promotion.

Hitler expected this and believed playing-off the various underlings by encouraging them to strive against each other for ever-more extreme responses to his wants was a kind of Darwinian survival-of-the-fittest way of getting the best monster for the job - and his way.

The parallels with the Trumpian attitudes and behaviours is remarkable. Whilst some translation has to be made between the Hitlerian and Trumpian antics because of their different technological and cultural contexts, they seem to be remarkably similar, as do many of the gradual slides into extremism of the underlings as a means to gain their own power-promotion from The Great One.

Watch it, you'll like it (sort of).

In counterpoint, consider this and contrast it with our modern Blighty mental state vis-a-vis government propaganda:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49597787

Cugel

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 11 Sep 2019, 10:11am

Stradageek wrote:To quote H.L.Mencken (a journalist for the Baltimore Evening Sun on July 20th 1920)

“As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.”

Not quite what Mencken wrote. I'm sure he would have added "fool and a complete narcissistic" if he were writing today.

Stradageek

Postby Stradageek » 11 Sep 2019, 12:18pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Stradageek wrote:To quote H.L.Mencken (a journalist for the Baltimore Evening Sun on July 20th 1920)

Not quite what Mencken wrote. I'm sure he would have added "fool and a complete narcissistic" if he were writing today.

Thanks for the correction (never trust the blooming internet!); I think I have found a fuller, validated quote, which is even more revealing in terms of what I've always thought drives the Trump supporters and could be ported across to explain Brexit bigotry.

"All of us, if we are of reflective habit, like and admire men whose fundamental beliefs differ radically from our own. But when a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or count himself lost. … All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.
The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Sep 2019, 8:45pm

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 11 Sep 2019, 8:53pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Worth a minute or two:
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/46 ... e-and-ears

He's getting worse!
At least it might mean we are spared a second term.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Sep 2019, 9:14pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Worth a minute or two:
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/46 ... e-and-ears

He's getting worse!
At least it might mean we are spared a second term.

Do you really think that will stop him? He's already propped up in office at it is, they'll just have to do a bit more if he goes more deeply down the rabbit hole of madness!