Throwaway culture/labor costs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thelawnet

Throwaway culture/labor costs

Post by thelawnet »

My son & daughter both have the same phone; I can buy a replacement for £105.

Anyway, my son cracked his screen, but not so badly that it was unusable. I bought a new screen online in Indonesia for ~£9, and took it to a repair shop, where they charged me the equivalent of £2.20 to repair (slightly tricky job, took half an hour approx.).

On the way to the airport my daughter broke her screen more catastrophically. Local shop in England wants £40 without parts, or £70 with parts to do the job.

So roughly 20x more expensive labour costs (would me 20x if not for Brexit-related exchange-rate slump). Almost better off throwing it in the bin...

I also had a wheel rebuilt with a new freehub recently; that cost me around £1.50 in Indonesia. (The freehub was £30). I think in England the shop would often sell a new wheel and bin the old one.

The local Indonesian minimum wage is around £133/month, but plenty don't get that much. UK minimum wage is around 9x higher, so it's not surprising things cost a lot more to repair in the UK, but it obviously makes a difference to how much things are consumed/thrown away.
rjb

Re: Throwaway culture/labor costs

Post by rjb »

Colleagues of mine would always take their eye prescription on holiday with them if going to the far East, india etc. They could save £400 on a pair of specs made there in preference to the UK. Saved a huge amount towards there holiday. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

rjb wrote:Colleagues of mine would always take their eye prescription on holiday with them if going to the far East, india etc. They could save £400 on a pair of specs made there in preference to the UK. Saved a huge amount towards there holiday. :wink:

Since when did a pair of specs cost £400?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

thelawnet wrote:
rjb wrote:Colleagues of mine would always take their eye prescription on holiday with them if going to the far East, india etc. They could save £400 on a pair of specs made there in preference to the UK. Saved a huge amount towards there holiday. :wink:

Prescription Oakleys.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cugel wrote:
Prescription Oakleys.

Cugel

Nah, mine didn't cost that.

John.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Last pair Mrs RJB had cost over£500 for a wide field pair of varifocals. :shock:
Nothing special about the frames ie not paying for a brand name, the cost goes into the complex grinding of the lenses. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Cugel wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

Prescription Oakleys.

Yes they are a rip-off, not sure they'll be much cheaper in Asia unless you get fake ones though.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have ordered my glasses from the US for years. Even with the import duty they are about half price with top quality lenses.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
With no special coatings online you can get for £110.

Saw a program on tv where standard lenses cost a few pounds.
My prescription glasses cost £15, owned them for two years and have no problem using them today, 4 pairs.
I use one for doing all my work under the car etc, even sit on them and they don't break.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.