Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just curious as to what could be gleaned about you from your mobile phone, case apps you have. That's without your online action is considered.

For example, leather, flip cover case usually used by older people. Bricks by luddite of any age, drug dealers, ne'er do wells and those wanting emergency / long battery life phones for outdoor use in emergency.

Anything else? Seriously just a lighthearted thread because I've just bought a new phone and wondered what it said about me and my priorities.
mjr

Re: Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Post by mjr »

Are bouncy bumper cases more common among cyclists? If not, they ought to be!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

We'll my Windows 10 phone cost me just £20 & does all I need of it. So that makes me a spendthrift?
It has decent browser & email, podcast listener, eBook reader, in built bing maps and more standard OS type OpenAndromaps thru Cartograph viewer that will also do Openstreet maps, sync with my Hotmail accnt, a nice Google maps viewer, various apps for train time tables and platforms around the UK, buses around London incl stops and times, similar for the Uk using Traveline. Also has GPS and mobile broadband 4G. The soubnd from the phone is as good as I want its O2 321 payg is cheaper than the PayAsYouGo Plusnet landline phone. That last point is good enough reason to have a mobile

No Facebook, Twitter or any of the other datamining apps
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Sep 2019, 1:26pm, edited 4 times in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mine lives in a little 'phone sock' my mum knitted for me.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cheapo non-smart pay as you go phone that is just a phone and is worth less than the talk time on it. And yes, it does say something about my attitude to things. :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

^^^^^^^^ mine too. and it is switched off unless I want to use it which is about annually. I recharge the battery once a year, just before going on tour.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:Just curious as to what could be gleaned about you from your mobile phone, case apps you have. That's without your online action is considered.

For example, leather, flip cover case usually used by older people. Bricks by luddite of any age, drug dealers, ne'er do wells and those wanting emergency / long battery life phones for outdoor use in emergency.

Anything else? Seriously just a lighthearted thread because I've just bought a new phone and wondered what it said about me and my priorities.

It used to surprise me that people defined themselves and others by way of a judgement of the things they owned. Car and house were the original primary emblems supposedly denoting status or type but since then many other "things I own" have become signals as to "who I am".

I found this surprising because it seemed so crass for people to believe that the mere ability to purchase what an advert told them was a "top car" or whatever somehow indicated their worth. It no longer surprises me, as (like so many other fashionable modes of thinking & acting) "what I can buy" is apparently now the sole and only means of putting people into this singular and dominant hierarchy of worth. Or it sometimes seems like it.

Yet I still feel this way of judging someone - by what they own - is a pitiful and infantile way of thinking and behaving. But it's everywhere.

I don't own any kind of mobile phone; or several of the other supposed emblems of status & worth. I find myself uncaring about any judgement about me that may be made as a result. I worry much more about what I do (other than buy things) as the means by which others might judge me. After all, this is the basis of our law and morality, rather than what we own. ...... Or is it?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oh! Okay then. I'll go back to judging you on the posts about woodworking tools and piece of art furniture you've made. :wink:

It's only a bit of fun on a thread mr buzzkill! :D

Seriously though, you must admit it's not just about what you do that defines you but how you do it. I'm sure you'll see a whole raft of academic research on how things are approached, how people use objects, etc. Without it you'd never get comfortable chairs or cars, etc. We've been doing it informally from the beginnings of our species, that is look at what and how we do things. It's part of our technological development. Of coarse we're now seeing things reach a point where people thing enough is enough. We're seeing people step off this technological conveyor belt at a point b they feel comfortable with. That's great too, but so is seeing where tree journey it's going next.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

leather, flip cover case.....Oh dear I'm 68
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:Are bouncy bumper cases more common among cyclists? If not, they ought to be!

I have a bouncy bumper case. :P
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

No case at all. I'm a trendy consumer with a nice effect to the phone body that I want to show off. But I've dropped it more times since I got it at the weekend than for a while year with my old phone. I've got a spigen armour case with screen protector due to be delivered Thursday.

I reckon I drop my phones more in the first 6 months than the other 3 or so years I keep it for.

I've got a dumbphone for out and about in the hills trips. It's smaller and lighter with a good week plus if standby in the battery. No case needed. It cost £10 plus £10 credit which got b tripled because of a Tesco mobile deal at the time. I've had it about 6 years and it still b works and still has credit too. £20 for 6 years plus use, can't be bad.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I bought my phone for one app that (at the time) only ran on one series of 'phones, and only well on the recent ones. So, mine says that I once succumbed to anticompetitive marketing. :shock:

The large, well-bumpered case says that I'm the sort of person who doesn't want to fork out for another new screen. :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I note certain sort of people buy iPhones. With some its because of Garage Band etc they use on a Mac, creative people. Then theres the gadget freak types who have to have the latest biggest fastest with the best camera. Then, theres the rest of us who just want a phone. My main requirement is as a satnav using Android Auto and Osmand +, so good battery life is important. I wouldnt say anything I own was bought to try to define me but I think some people do think like that and buy stuff accordingly. Best example is people who have to have 'brands' of clothing and shoes :lol: It changes fast, drives a big sector of the economy and high street filling our planet with useless throwaway tat. Mostly, they grow up....

We are all different, live and let live in a sort of free country.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

no mobile signal in the village so i dont have one. simples. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We have signal but it often goes down for maintenance or known issues. They have their own phrases for simply not effing working.

The only consolation is all the other networks use the same mast so are down as well.