Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, I've had a cheapo old black faux-leather-plastic case for the past 15 years or so, it exactly fitted my old Nokia 3310. I bought it (from a market stall I think) mainly to reduce 'pocket dial' incidents. Despite the fact that I was always careful to 'lock' my phone when in my pocket, it still accidentally dialled 999 or 112 on a couple of occasions.

Since then I've upgraded to a slightly more recent phone, but still a 'traditional' phone with keypad, not a smartphone. And the case fits that one just as snugly. Of course, the fabric being very worn and split in places, it's less effective at preventing accidental dialling. Just have to hope for the best, and hope I don't ever get prosecuted for nuisance 999 calls...

The case won't fit a smartphone, of course. Mrs P has a smartphone (I don't) and she keeps it in a very neat foldover case, sort of light claret in colour. A much better bet than mine!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rjb wrote:no mobile signal in the village so i dont have one. simples. :D

We have no mobile signal in the village (absolutely none, ever) hence I've gone for a mobile that supports Wi-Fi calling so always works perfectly but through Wi-fi and internet. No longer have my landline plugged-in but still (probably) got a couple of months to go before the landline subscription ends and I switch to FTTP and lose my landline, landline phone number, etc. and just go internet connection only.

Ian
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I must hide in shame. I have an iphone7plus with a flip leather case and screen protector. In defence I inherited the phone which is a big heavy brute but I would have an Apple phone anyway as all my other devices are Apple and they all sync. I tried other systems but could not get any of them to work properly. Probably my fault but I have no problem getting the Apple things to do what I want.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I got my leather case from SnakeHive when they had a clearance sale. 1/2 price just £9
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Leather flip open case bought from Choina vis Ebay.
I was born in 1942.
I had a 2G flip phone and when they closed our 2G network I got a smart phone because I was tired of trying to write texts on the alpha numeric keypad.
It is pay as I go but as I transferred my plan from the old phone I don't have data so Ï don't use any apps

Mike
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Flip case/wallet type thing that also has good shock protection holding a handset that in design is now nearly five years old. As much as I want a newer handset the price increase on the monthly outgoing can't be justified, I'm currently paying £14/month and a new contract/handset would add at least £25 to that for the next three years.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Does it really?

I use two phones, one is an iPhone X, the other is a Nokia "Banana phone"

Which one defines me?

Unless you watch the POlivce programs in which case having two phones makes me a drug dealer
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Always have sim only contract and tend to buy second hand phone. Breaking a long held tradition a couple of months ago I surrendered my windows Nokia as it was increasingly hard to get apps and have a £14 per month Moto. It has an amazing battery life. I also keep a PAYGO old fashioned Nokia which makes calls and texts (the latter with difficulty on an alpha numeric keyboard). It cost me £7.00 about three years ago and I take it as an emergency back-up. The battery lasts a couple of weeks.

I don't use a case: just a cover to protect it. My missus has a beautiful Harris Tweed cover.

Does it define me? Others who know me would need to determine that. I suspect it does say I don't like spending money on fripperies and like function and quality at least as much as form and i pay what I need rather than get expensive for show, My bike is probably the same, as is my car.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cunobelin wrote:Doe

Unless you watch the POlivce programs in which case having two phones makes me a drug dealer

Or a Downing Street adviser.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cunobelin wrote:Does it really?

I use two phones, one is an iPhone X, the other is a Nokia "Banana phone"

Which one defines me?

What about three phones? One of which has two working sim cards in it. :D

Actually I could get a payg sim for my still working old phone to make 4.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Doe

Or a Downing Street adviser.

Now you're just giving offence! Calling someone once of the lowest forms of life.... well that's not very nice!

At least you didn't say estate agent or accident lawyer! :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I was very fond of my old Motorola Defy - small enough for a side pocket on the HB bag and had a user-changeable battery so I could carry a spare on long rides. Then I picked up an app that couldn't be uninstalled, did a factory reset and found when I tried to reload my apps that Android Marketplace was gone, my phone was incompatible with Google Play (abject bloody name, that) and Motorola's tweaked Android wouldn't update to a revision that wasn't.

Now have a Motorola G3 but it's considerably heavier, too big for the side pocket and changing the battery means a factory return. OTOH it's easier to read eBooks on during coffee stops.

Maybe I'll try rooting the Defy; nothing venture etc. After >50 years of mucking about with computers I'm no longer that interested, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

IPhone XR in a clear case.
I’ve had iPhones since the first one and they just work.I pass my old phone down to my lad now(was daughter but she’s got her own contact now at Uni)so he has my old iPhone 7s and my older 6s is a spare.
I’ll replace the XR next year and pass this one down.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

You guys have too much time on your hands, or you're all really shallow !

How can a commodity like a mobile phone say anything about you - does your brand of washing machine; or that you own a dishwasher ?

John.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:Always have sim only contract and tend to buy second hand phone. Breaking a long held tradition a couple of months ago I surrendered my windows Nokia as it was increasingly hard to get apps and have a £14 per month Moto. It has an amazing battery life. I also keep a PAYGO old fashioned Nokia which makes calls and texts (the latter with difficulty on an alpha numeric keyboard). It cost me £7.00 about three years ago and I take it as an emergency back-up. The battery lasts a couple of weeks.

I don't use a case: just a cover to protect it. My missus has a beautiful Harris Tweed cover.

Does it define me? Others who know me would need to determine that. I suspect it does say I don't like spending money on fripperies and like function and quality at least as much as form and i pay what I need rather than get expensive for show, My bike is probably the same, as is my car.

Windows 8.1 or 10? & which apps were missing?