Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
freiston

Re: Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Post by freiston »

My phone is a Samsung A8 2018 and it's in a leather flip case (hinged at the bottom). I don't have a contract but a GiffGaff prepaid monthly package. I'm 55.

The rationale behind the phone was that I wanted something that could play .ogg music files (most of my music is ripped to Ogg Vorbis), I wanted storage on a removable memory card and I wanted a good degree of waterproofness (I sometimes get very wet in the rain and so does my phone). I also use OsmAnd and wanted a decent screen. At the time, the A8 was the cheapest phone I could find that ticked all the boxes.

I like a case that covers the screen and I like one that hinges at the bottom because I find it easier to use one-handed that way. Whether it's rooted in fact or emotion, I worry about the vulnerability of my phone sans case.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Does phone case/ phone type define you?
No!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, My phone defines me, because the blooming things ain't loud enough for me to hear, either ring tone or call volume!
Same applies to MP3 players as well, the early ones I could just about live with, but later ones have an out-put limit, so Old Cloth Ears in left in the lurch.
I did get a louder phone, big button type for us old fogies, but sound was ok, but ring-tone was iffy. Worst of all was the SMS buffer, just one single message and it was full?????????????????????????????? Technology Sucks. MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Psychology / ergonomics experts will probably have a field day studying you lot. One to make a better phone / case and the other for the comments made that probably do explain a bit about you or your psyche.

Some differences here that I can spot. Some seem to have a pride in not falling for the newest shiny. Others take pride in a very logical and proper thought process in choosing the phone based on precisely defined needs such at being suited to a mapping app. There's a sense that they see a virtue in their approach to buying a mobile phone.

More enlightened and sophisticated boffins could probably write a paper on how to take advantage of those people through product design and placement. Personally I just have a feeling some people see their own hierarchy of decision making over phone choice as being the right and proper way.