PMs honours: who deserves one?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Spinners

Re: PMs honours: who deserves one?

Postby Spinners » 11 Sep 2019, 10:46am

With honours being handed out like confetti in recent years, including knighthoods to sports people still in competition, then I approve of Boycott's knighthood at the age of 78 - it should have happened bloomin' years ago! His cricket books such as 'Opening Up' and 'In the Fast Lane' have graced my bookshelves for many a year.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Sep 2019, 11:31am

Examples not if of knighthood but of the lack of repentance and acceptance of guilt on release. One example of a dangerous criminal being paroled without accepting guilt was the black cab rapist. We've discussed that case on here at the time iirc but fortunately on public outcry and an appeal it got overturned.

The way that hires refusal toaccept guilt over his conviction has made what Boycott did worse, assuming his conviction was correct or justified of course. It's like the act isn't the worse part. In our justice system at most guilt only results in more if the sentence being served. So instead of accepting guilt and getting out of prison after possibly less than half the imposed sentence has been served someone might be in there for 2/3rds of the full sentence. Or whatever the system is for reducing time served for conduct in prison.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 11 Sep 2019, 1:07pm

Ben@Forest wrote:Given the furore over Geoff Boycott l can't say l heard about any other recipients in May's honours.

Like him or loathe him l think Boycott made a good point about the inquisitorial legal system in France compared to the accusatorial system here. If the investigating magistrate found Boycott abrasive, difficult and misogynist his/her determining of the facts could have been skewed. And Boycott, for all his other qualities, is abrasive, difficult and misogynist; but he may have been innocent.

The inquisitorial system is sometimes said to produce fewer wrongful convictions, but from what I've read in cases of murder, rape, violence etc it is as likely to produce wrongful convictions as the accusatorial system.

I think his arrogance can't have helped his case. His cricketing skills were above average but not great, look at his run rate. Useful bloke to put in and play for time or as a night watchman. If chasing runs he was never the man. His know all comments really spoil any broadcast for me. He always knows better than the captain how the game should be played

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 11 Sep 2019, 1:10pm

In the UK a prisoner who continues to maintain innocence but who does everything required of him/her, including education or behaviour workshops required, can still be released upon completion of half their sentence.

Boycott only received a short suspended sentence and a fine but I don't know where that 'fits' in sentences for domestic abuse in France. According to him the plaintiff asked for a million pounds in return for no case or dropping the case. There is no way of knowing the truth of that, but it leaves a question hanging.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 11 Sep 2019, 1:14pm

francovendee wrote:I think his arrogance can't have helped his case. His cricketing skills were above average but not great, look at his run rate. Useful bloke to put in and play for time or as a night watchman. If chasing runs he was never the man. His know all comments really spoil any broadcast for me. He always knows better than the captain how the game should be played

I quite like his commentary, it's often incisive and neatly describes what the bowler or batter might be trying to achieve. And when a player of any nationality is playing very well he is unstinting in his praise.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 11 Sep 2019, 1:46pm

Hi all, Funny things Honours? Michael Caine got Dubbed, but whilst he likes to be called "Sir Michael" he actually isn't?
His passport says "Sir Maurice Michelwhite", Not a lot of people know that :lol: :lol: :lol: . TTFN MM

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 11 Sep 2019, 2:18pm

Back in the UK once again.

Lord Boardman? Sir Phil Liggett? Dame Phillipa York? His Honour Mick F?

Happy days,

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 11 Sep 2019, 2:20pm

francovendee wrote:If chasing runs he was never the man.

Really? He might have been orthodox in his own era (nevermind today's era) but he could play the one-day game as the Aussies will testify in the 1979-1980 Benson & Hedges ODI. I can still see him racing off the pitch with the late David Bairstow having batted through the England innings in a day/night match.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

pete75

Postby pete75 » 12 Sep 2019, 5:07pm

Apparently Boycott punched her about twenty times but it took him half an hour to get the first five in. :wink: